Wireless monitor for deadbolt in exterior metal gate

PaulD

I have 2 metal gates with a deadbolt to secure them. Looking for a way to monitor the deadbolt position so I can verify the gate is actually locked. No viable way to run wire to them so I need a wireless solution. I currently have a Omni Pro II with a GE wireless receiver as well as an X-10 receiver so that gives me 2 options for a wireless connection.
The dead bolt is completely enclosed in the gate and frame much like a normal door so there is no easy access. I think the most viable solution involves drilling a hole in the side of the frame (1" square tube) that the dead bolt engages in such that the side of the dead bolt can be seen if the gate is locked. That should allow me to install some type of widget in that hole that would create an open or closed circuit when the gate is locked. My current thinking is that some type of simple spring loaded switch mounted in that hole which is then wired via short run of wire to a wireless transmitter woud do the trick. My problem is that I have not been able to determine what combination of pieces would fit the bill and be suitable for outdoor use.
Anyone have any bright ideas?

Paul,

A number of folks have used the DS10A's to check on the deadbolt status on the Homeseer Forum.

Think you could tweak the ideas here:

Monitoring a deadbolt

Just purchased a two HAI45A00-1's and one HAI42A00-2's and will be doing similiar. Orginally thinking of doing the DS10A thing though.

I can help you on the deadbolt side, but I have a variety of GE sensors located outside on gates, and after years of rain and very hot sun, they are all going strong. Just put a bead of silicon on them around where there seam is. Most of the sensors support external contacts, or you can jury-rig them.

Paul,
Check out this thread on the HomeSeer message board that has pics of how one user accomplished this. There's also a how-to on how to do this.
http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t...light=dead+bolt

pete & Rupp.....Using a micro switch as noted in this link is along the same line I was thinking. Would need to wire it to a wireless transmitter. Not sure if Pets's suggestion on the DS10A will work or not. From what I understand, the DS10A does not transmit a normal X10 RF house/unit signal. It transmits a special X10 security signal and I do not think my X10 receiver (WGL UPB572) will pick up a DS10A security signal. If true, I still need a transmitter solution.

Ano..I think a GE solution might work if I knew how to wire up a switch to a transmitter. I have a few GE security sensors (60-688-11-95) but they do not support an external switch. I have seen references to GE wireless transmitters which do support external sensors but I do not have any. Do they have contact points to connect the external sensor to? I would like to check out an installation manual on one to see how they are set up to make sure I am on the right track. Any prefered transmitter to use?

Paul,
Check out this thread on the HomeSeer message board that has pics of how one user accomplished this. There's also a how-to on how to do this.
http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t...light=dead+bolt

Ano..I think a GE solution might work if I knew how to wire up a switch to a transmitter. I have a few GE security sensors (60-688-11-95) but they do not support an external switch. I have seen references to GE wireless transmitters which do support external sensors but I do not have any. Do they have contact points to connect the external sensor to? I would like to check out an installation manual on one to see how they are set up to make sure I am on the right track. Any prefered transmitter to use?

Yes those are the micro sensors. Pretty small but no external connection, but you can add one. Its pretty easy, but if your not a technical type person with a soldering iron, you are best advised to find a friend that is. Just pop it open, and on the side you will see this glass tube with metal inside and one wire coming out of each side. This is called the reed switch, and that is what detects the magnet. Just solder a wire to each of these wires coming out from each side of the the reed switch switch and those are now your external contact. Short the wires together and you are "secure" open the wires and you are "not ready" in HAI-speak. You can leave the reed switch in place, no reason to remove it. Also, you may need to cut the plastic on the cover a bit to let your new wires run out. I've done this with that exact sensor and its easy.

I tend to like the NX-650 sensor which are pretty popular on e-Bay. They are bigger, but their battery lasts a LONG time and they do connect to an external contact easy. They also let you place a magnet on their long side or short side, which is handy sometimes.

Yes those are the micro sensors. Pretty small but no external connection, but you can add one. Its pretty easy, but if your not a technical type person with a soldering iron, you are best advised to find a friend that is. Just pop it open, and on the side you will see this glass tube with metal inside and one wire coming out of each side. This is called the reed switch, and that is what detects the magnet. Just solder a wire to each of these wires coming out from each side of the the reed switch switch and those are now your external contact. Short the wires together and you are "secure" open the wires and you are "not ready" in HAI-speak. You can leave the reed switch in place, no reason to remove it. Also, you may need to cut the plastic on the cover a bit to let your new wires run out. I've done this with that exact sensor and its easy.

I tend to like the NX-650 sensor which are pretty popular on e-Bay. They are bigger, but their battery lasts a LONG time and they do connect to an external contact easy. They also let you place a magnet on their long side or short side, which is handy sometimes.

I would have no problem hacking the switches I have today but size is not an issue and I would need to buy more for my gates anyway so I will probably go with a NX-650 since they are ready made for connecting an external switch.

If I can hijack this thread, does anyone know of a waterproof housing the NX-650 will fit in? The more attractive the housing the better.

Thanks,

Kevin

I would like to be able to test the NX-650 here in the MW for use in FL ideally with the smallest robust footprint both on the wireless switch side and the physical reed switch switch itself.

Here in the MW the plan is to hard wire the deadbolts (cuz I can). Testing the DS10's for other "things". In the MW I use two WGL800's and just purchased both HAI RF recievers (actually two and one) for my OPII panel. Recently installed a GE RF reciever on the OPII panel in FL.

In FL I don't really have the option for certain areas (like the pool cage/lanai) to start with then maybe later the couple of deadbolts around.

So basically I see purchasing an NX-650, water / weather proofing it and then seeing the RF footprint of it mounted away from the home?

In the MW its the sun a bit, temperature extremes and some weather. In FL its the sun, heat, rain and salt air that I need to deal with.

An example was the attempt to put an IP PTZ camera on a "stick" completely insulated watching it rust in a matter of 6 months in Wales by the north sea.

doing a quick google on pricing seeing lowest prices of the

1 - NX-652 around $36. Wholesale similiar in price.
2 - NX-650 around $31. Wholesale not listed anymore. BUT many on ebay singles and lots.
3 - DS10a - $6 (but seen them cheaper). 3-packs very cheap on Ebay.

I just order three of the NX-652 (longer battery life version of the NX-650). Two are for my pool cage doors and the third is the door of the whole-house generator. I'll post how it works when I get them installed.

Kevin

I live in AZ, where we can get 3 inches of rain in an hour, and where surface temps on a gate can exceed 150 degrees. Several NX-650's with a dab of silicon glue have worked fine for years without fail.

I've two sets of the NX-453 slimline transmitters and they've both failed in a matter of months, all from corrosion. I've siliconed them and even plastic dipped the boards in the last set. Combination of the rain/heat/humidity of SW Florida and salt air (I live on the water) kills them. Even drilled the doors and installed the recessed transmitters and one died quickly and the other is intermittent. It's getting expensive replacing these, so I'm going to put the new transmitters in a watertight box. Just want to find one that's not too ugly.

Kevin

Similiar issue relating to living on the water in FL.

In DEC 2009 noticed that 2 Rainbird sprinkler relays didn't work in FL. Actually they were shorting out. The manifold boxes with the relays were well protected from the "weather". I replaced all 5 of the sprinkler relays because of some major corrosion (but 8 years worth). I did the same for the two garage lights which had totally rusted out.

For the pool cage also maybe thinking of running 22/2 cable from inside of the pool cage frame door to under an eave and actually putting the RF sensor in the attic protecting it a bit more from the environment or maybe carrying it over and putting the sensor by the pool timer/pump/heater (etc) about 15 feet or so away.

Meanwhile will try the "insulated" from the weather quick fix (fastest) to see how it works.

Its possible that the problem in Florida is not so much the weather getting into it after its sealed, but maybe the fact that you are trapping in the Florida air when you are sealing it. So bring your sensors to Arizona, see the Grand Canyon, then seal them here before you return. :)

How do the electronics in cars survive out there? The electronics in cars isn't all that sealed from what I see.

Thanks, ano, that dry air should really help. :)

I lived on the water on Long Island, too. A lot of things had problems with the salt air, but more expensive things, like cars and boats and their electronics never seem to suffer. I have a 1989 Donzi that I've had since new, and the wiring and gauges are doing fine.

I'm really surprised they don't make sealed, watertight, wireless transmitters. Seems to me there would be a pretty good market for them.

Kevin

Back