Wireless Networking Using AuraGrid

I just picked up an AuraGrid from Smart Home thinking it was a good idea but now I'm not so sure. The premise is you can send a wireless b/g signal over standard coax cable to a small passthrough antenna in each room you want wireless. According to Smart Home, it is not compatible with satellite which is what I'm using. However, I am dedicating RG6 home runs to the AuraGrid and not sharing the signal with satellite. I am doing it a little different than the diagram suggests. I have installed my Linksys wireless router in a network closet panel and connected one of the wireless antenna's to port 1 on the AuraGrid splitter. The incoming cable port is unused. I then connect one of my home run RG6 cables to port 2 on the splitter and connect the pass through antenna in the room I want wireless in. For some reason this doesn't work. Could the signal require a connected cable connection to work? To me it appears the splitter is nothing more than a diplexer which splits the signal types and rejoins them at the destination.

Is anyone else using this successfully? I have looked at all the docs and I can't find any online support for this product.

So you are using the splitter as a way to connect the cables together without anything on the splitter input? I would think the signal loss would be huge! Why not use a barrel connector instead of the splitter? If it is a dedicated piece of coax there is no need for splitters is there?

Well, the splitter input on the top is actually for cable tv. Since I don't have cable tv, I have nothing to connect there. There is one input and three outputs on the bottom of the splitter for the wireless connection. I have my wireless router connected to the one input on the bottom of the splitter. Here is a diagram of exactly what I have.

I'm just not using the CATV In port. Also, I'm not using the pass through connectors for TV. I'm just using dedicated RG6 lines between the wireless router connected exactly as you see on the diagram and the wireless antennas.

Oh well, that didn't help. I emailed AuraOne support last night but I have not heard back from them yet. Hopefully they will respond to my email.

TheCodeMan said:
Oh well, that didn't help. I emailed AuraOne support last night but I have not heard back from them yet. Hopefully they will respond to my email.
I'm stumped. I just can't belive the CATV signal would be required.

Back