Wireless PIR plus sound detection

MrGibbage

Are there any wireless sensors for the Elk such as the NX-480 that can also us sound levels for occupancy detection? Seems like this would work pretty good for occupancy detection. Probably even better than IR.

No.

You're looking at security items vs. occupancy sensors, very different animals and sensitivities needed. Wireless doesn't work well for occupancy sensing.

Yes, I was definitely looking for occupancy detection vice security. Do these not even exist for occupancy detection?

No feizable way to make them work and have any sort of battery life, short of a bidirectional setup, but power consumption is still going ot be an issue.

Granted I only spent like 2 minutes on this - but isn't the above referenced unit a SAW compatible wireless device? IIRC, I thought the new Elk GE wireless receiver supported SAW? Maybe I'm mistaken... but if those were correct, wouldn't it be possible to enroll?

The new version of their GE compatible receiver supports both SAW and crystal, but it can't override the transmission inhibit feature of the RF units themselves, it's a design element of the GE (and most other manufacturer's) units to maximize battery life.

The OP is looking for audio based units to determine occupancy or at minimum, PIR's, again wireless.

OK yeah - I misread the original post. As has been covered, Wireless for occupancy/automation just doesn't work right because of the battery optimization issues/transmit inhibit.

I'm sure with some creativity one could figure out a way but it wouldn't be running over wireless unless you want to replace batteries quite often; if you could acquire power locally, I know you could rig something up but I it'd take some creativity.

Now that you mention it, I would be perfectly happy with an audible sensor with a wireless transmission to the elk, but plugged into a wall outlet for power. Maybe it could have a pass through so you can still plug other things into it. Hmmm....

Back