wireless PIR turning on UPB with no software

DeLicious

so, obviously, I'm still fairly new at this having only joined up a couple weeks ago and completing my first UPB install but a few days ago.

so, without the existence of wireless modules for UPB automation, I'm trying to figure out the best way to automatically turn on my living room lights when I walk in using PIR sensors, all without having to yet purchase HA software since I don't think I'm to that stage yet.

Home Controls has a project about using an RF remote to control your UPB switches here. It utilizes the Street Smart WA6R wireless automator (more details here)

I was wondering if the WA6R only reads the signals of the included remote control, or if it could be programmed to read the signals of Street Smart (Honeywell wireless) PIR sensors. Barring that, is there another module that performs similarly that can be set up to read PIR sensors wirelessly?

Also, has anybody else achieved this (software-free) in another way using UPB? I know once I get an HA software package, I can likely use Z-wave PIR sensors, but if there is an easy (although, not necessarily 'easier') way to do that now, I'd like to give that a go. Any suggestions are welcome.

I use an UPB UMI module and Visonic wired motion sensor to achieve UPB motion sensors. The software I use to manage my UPB network is xapmcsUPB (free). It is posted at http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=105234.

It contains scripting capabilty based upon UPB and xAP messages if one needs specific control capabilty. It also has browser interface to provide interactive setup and control.

supposedly the Architectronics Chameleo (link) translates X-10 to UPB so we could use X-10 wireless PIR sensors and translate the resulting X-10 signals to UPB.

Has anyone tried this product? Aside from the press release, there is no mention of it on the cocoontech forums.

Most of us here like to keep motion sensors or any other item that will generate a lot of X-10 traffic off of our power lines. :angry:

Not sure if UPB would have these same issues or not.

Michael McSharry said:
I use an UPB UMI module and Visonic wired motion sensor to achieve UPB motion sensors. The software I use to manage my UPB network is xapmcsUPB (free). It is posted at http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=105234.

It contains scripting capabilty based upon UPB and xAP messages if one needs specific control capabilty. It also has browser interface to provide interactive setup and control.
Michael, doesn't this mean you have a wire running down your wall somewhere, or you had to string something through a wall? This is exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

sorry to be a newbie, but exactly how do you wire the UMI module with the Visonic PIR sensor (and for that matter, which PIR sensor are you using)? From what I read (and maybe I'm not understanding the terminology correctly), the Visonic PIR has a normally closed something-or-other, and the UMI module detects a contact closure. how can it detect a contact closure if the closure is "normally closed"?

hooray for being new to this

and i just keep thinking of more questions...

do you have to buy UMI modules in a 1-to-1 ratio with your PIR sensors? or can a single UMI handle multiple PIR sensors (assuming you can wire them all to the same module)?

and how is the PIR powered? do one of those wires from the UMI carry the power, or does it require a separate cord (or batteries) to power?

if most of you like to keep motion sensors off your power line, how else do you do it? do you get an X-10 wireless PIR and use the W800 as the receiver so that it goes straight to your PC?

again, many many questions :)

Adam,

The UMI can receive at least 2 maybe 3 contact closers and can be set up through Upstart to operate NC or NO.

You will probably not have to worry about a lot of x-10 going around your house, as I beleive you do not have any right now, right?

A wired PIR can be wired from the attic and installed near the ceiling so no wires will show.

I have been looking for a PIR that provides a contact closer to connect directly to a UMI to do what you want, but I havn't found one yet. (or send to a receiver that will do the same thing. )
It could also be done with the x10 transmitters as suggested above, x10 going to a Univeral Power Module, hard wired to the UMI. Like you, I would like to do this without additional software, only the hardware.

As to the Chameleo x-10 to UPB translator... It currently does not control links, the manufacture says that is on the way and will be here soon and the existing units will be upgradeable, however I went ahead and purchased a Foard Compact bridge, translator

http://www.homecontrols.com/cgi-bin/hci.pl...earch_id=101228
for a new job I am starting. The wrong adaptor was sent with the product so I was unable to get it working when I was on the job. I will let you, and everyone know how it works out when I get back to that job and try it out. It is reported to translate back and forth between x-10 and UPB and operate Links as well as devices.

By the way the owners instructions on the Simply Automated UMI are difficult to grasp. But the unit works good and can do multiple operations, just not at the same time. You could have it receive more than one contact closer and send a UPB signal out. It just wouldn't do more than one at a time.

The Home Controls suggestion of the Street Smart WA6R sound like a good way to go (for a Key fob) and would connect to a SA UMI very easy. Maybe a call to Honeywell would answer if the receiver could receive from one of their PIRs. That would be great!

The Visonic Spy 1 is what I used. I requires 12VDC power and connects directly to the UMI. I have two mounted about 600 ft from the house on my road. I believe it will take 3 of these. In my case I have the mailbox open indicator wired to the third input and have floodlights connected to the two UMI outputs.

As an example the wiring of a Spy-1 and UMI is
UMI Pin.. SPY1.....12VDC
9...........Green
10..........White
..............Red....... 12VDC
..............Black......Gnd

If you are looking for wireless units then I suggest using the simple hawkeye from X10 and the W800 to receive them. The free software to work with the W800 or RFXCOM receivers is xapmcsRF which is available at the same general location as the xapmcsUPB.

Michael,

Thank you for the suggestion for the W800RF. I read one of your longer threads on a HS message board on xapmcupb. Fascinating! I am not much of a programmer but this does look interesting. Like DeLicious, I am looking for a solution that doesn't require software or programming. Just utilizing the pier to pier strength of UPB and Upstart.

Yes, I bet the Visonic Spy 1 would work for DeLicious if mounted in a small discrete box setting on a table or a bookshelve, although it isn't wireless. Hay, it could be mounted in the binding of a book. oh, I get it Spy.....

Here is the Visonic installation manual:

http://www.visonic.com/VisonicHomePage.nsf...nstructions.pdf

This will work very well as a hard wired solution with the UMI
Thanks

There will soon (very soon) be a whole house transceiver available that will take signals from the X10 RF transmitters and send UPB signals.....

how soon is soon? or are you not allowed to say? and who would it be offered by (or more subtlely, which website should i watch for a press release?)

by looking at my existing alarm system, i think i've found a way to actually do this (that will be 'soon' obsoleted by the mysterious module reference made by Martin).

if you use a Visonic WR-3004B (link), you could hook up 3 of the 4 outputs to a UPB UMI module, and associate a Visonic SRN-2000 (link) with each channel.

shouldn't this work in theory?

Back