Wireless Relay

The Rain8 Wireless has been available for awhile and has not been a very popular product. The one-way communication is what I did not like about it. It uses standard X10 RF so the CM17A becomes an easy transmitter and other support tools exists to make it a reasonable item for those that do not any other options available.

A couple of discoveries to report:

1) The commons on all 8 relays are tied together on the pcb to a single common. This is not a problem for running an irrigation system but could be for other applications. My chicken coup door requires that the polarity change for up/down so you can't have a shared common. I made a workaround by soldering directly to the common of relays 7 and 8 on the back of the pcb and then scratching out the pcb tracings. It works but is not as elegant as one might like.

2) The remote requires that 2 circuits close to send the transmission (the buttons are double pole). Closing one of them makes the unit send a signal. Then after a few minutes the board dies (yes, I killed it). So, this is a pain since Elk relays are only single pole this means you need to use up 2 elk relays or you have to add another relay that is a double pole relay for the elk to control which then controls the rf transmitter. This problem I find to be truly annoying, the first problem doesn't bother me so much.

The guy I bought this from sent me this diagram for jumpering it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So, I think the basic idea is to solder the center post with a pad on one side or the other. Pick your own pattern and do it the same on the remote and relay board.

I just discovered a problem with these relays. The rf signal jams my garage door opener and my car keyfobs. This is not a problem if you are just sending brief toggle on toggle off's, but if you plan on doing an extended push and hold. .. not so good.

Back