Wireless Sensors: Recessed or Not?

Mike

While browsing automated outlet I came across these recessed wireless alarm sensors which I had not seen before:

http://www.automatedoutlet.com/product.php...&cat=159&page=1

I had seen this one previously:

http://www.automatedoutlet.com/product.php...&cat=159&page=1

Any thoughts on pro's or con's of either?

Clearly the recessed are more 'aesthetically pleasing' (and happen to be a whopping $0.55 cheaper surprisingly enough) are there any issues in installing these?
Any reasons to have the sensors hidden or visible?
Or is it just easier to install one or the other?

If anyone has any thoughts/opinions/recommendations, they would be appreciated.

No installed a couple in the sunroom.

Recessed works great for me and I like everything out of site.

Most people who visit don't even know about my alarm.

Also increases WAF.

Thanks, very much agreed on the WAF.

I'll review some of the pictures on the 'how-to's' and such before I start voiding my window warranties and the like (looks pretty straight forward). No wires and recessed gets around virtually everything.

Only thing I wasn't clear on: What is changing the batteries like? Granted this wouldnt happen for what, 5 years at least? They probably have something elegant here (hopefully). From looking at the picture it looks like they might have it so you can screw out the center piece while it's installed.

You can't but I believe it's supposed to last 15 years..

I took one apart to see and messed it up. But I suppose if your really careful and good you could do it.

Wow, I can live with 15 years. I was shocked at that and did some looking and the battery life is listed as 15 years.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I know which one I'm getting now...

The Caddx wireless sensor batteries are rated for 5-8 years depending on which one you are talking about. Frequently the ones rated for 8 years (like the recessed or micro sensors) will last ten or more years.

Hum... What frequency do these operate at? Wouldn't it be nice if these would work with the W800.

I believe we want them on their own frequency since they are designed for security purposes. I wouldn't want them working with other things... since that means potential noise and other issues. I use a couple of these types of sensors (with my Caddx) and they work well. I still prefer hardwire, but where I can't, I use wireless.

Rupp said:
Wouldn't it be nice if these would work with the W800.
Why do you want them to work with the W800? The W800 already supports much cheaper $8 sensors. The CADDX RF module to support these expensive $40 sensors is only $50-$100 (depending upon zone count, 8-48). One of the reasons I like the W800 is because it uses cheap sensors. If I can justify expensive sensors, then I can afford the $50-$100 receiver. Admittedly, the CADDX RF module requires an alarm panel, but the CADDX panel is pretty inexpensive and adds a lot of power, features and reliability. Or you can go for the top of the line Elk M1 which supports the CADDX wireless.

Is the signal digital? Is there some sort of encryption involved? The only problem I see with these would be if a professional burglar were to break into your protected area. He may be smart enough to send out his own wirless signal which would be more powerful than the sensor signal. So he could trick it into thinking that it was never activated.

In a residential setting I dont think you would have to worry about this but if you were protecting a gold mine I am not so sure I would trust them.

If I understand your thought, wouldn't they need to essentially jam the signal from these sensors rather than send a 'good' signal?

Isn't that pretty hard? Especially at what will be less than 100 feet for most cases (residential at least).

I also don't think these are EMP shielded (which probably kills all alarms) but again I don't think we are guarding against that level of attack.

Is the jamming a much higher degree of sophistication like I hope?

Actually - if I'm not mistaken - these don't put out a regular signal. They put out a signal to "connect" to the panel - and then shut off. If the sensor is tripped (door/window is opened) - it then puts out a signal. Otherwise, about once an hour - it puts out a status update to the panel to let it know it's there and working well.

I use a couple of the external transmitters (connect 3-4 adjacent windows to 1 transmitter) and the case of the transmitter even has a tamper switch on it.

Each transmitter has it's own "signal" so that the panel knows which transmitter is sending a signal. A thief would have to learn the signal and block it from being received when the door/window is opened. I suppose it's possible, but it seems pretty secure.

Back