Wireless RF Headphone suggestons wanted

sic0048

As many already know, I have been helping my parents with a CQC installation in their home while they go through a major remodel project. They have come up with a new request that I wanted to throw out there to the masses.

My Dad's low and high frequency hearing is pretty bad. So his ear doctor suggested that he get a wireless headphone set to listen to the TV because if he turns it up loud enough to hear clearly, my mom get's upset.

Here are some thoughts I have to consider when choosing a system:

First, all of their TVs will be flatscreen either wall mounted or mounted in a custom wall niche. One of the reasons they wanted the CQC system was to get rid of all the electionic equipment around the TVs and go with the look of sleek flatscreens. Due to this desire, there is no practical method to mount a wireless transmitter that would work line of sight. Therefore any system must be RF.

Secondly, since the transmitter must be hidden, it will also be difficult to use a system that charges the headset with the transmitter base. From what I have seen, most of the systems work like this. So I would either need to find a system that offers an aux charging base, operates off battery power, or I would have to buy another complete system just to use the 2nd transmitter as a charging base only (not even hook up any audio cords to it).

Third, what I would really like to do is place the transmitter down in the wiring closet and hook an output from their autopatch into the headset. That way he could use the headset in any room and would also allow my Mom to watch TV normally and control her own volume on the TV while my Dad could wear the headset and control his own volume as well. Alternatively, I could run a set of wires from the audio closet to a hidden location closer to their main listening spaces if reception became an issue. The wiring closet is located in the front middle of the house, but on the lower level. Their main living space is on the upper level and this is where they would be using the headset. The footprint of the house isn't that big, no more than 50' in any direction from the wiring closet, but through 1 floor and several walls depending on the actual listening location. However, most of their main floor has an open floor plan.

It looks like the lower end Sennheiser model (RS110) is battery operated. So it while they would have to replace the batteries regularly, it would not have to sit on the transmitter to recharge. Their higher end units use rechargeable batteries, but the charger is built into the transmitter.

Any other suggestions for systems that would meet my needs?

Back