Wireless Video - Slightly OT

klindy

Since there's a lot of folks much more capable than I on this board I'm posting this in hopes of at least getting pointed down a path that may be workable.

I have a scenario where I need to transmit a relatively high qualiity (30fps with limited skips, etc.) composite video signal from a boat across the water to a fixed location. The video signal is generated by a simple handheld video camera. The total length of the lake never exceeds 1000 meters (+/-3000' max with the length usually closer to 2400').

One of the challenges is that the 'fixed' location is generally about halfway (+/-) down the lake and the boat passes in front. Even though the boat path is generally very consistent (its always staight), since the transmitter passes from far left to far right, the use of a directional antenna wouldn't be possible. Conceivably the transmission distance can be about 1500' if an omni-directional antenna is used with the fixed location near the center of the lake.

Alternatively, we can place a 'relay station' at the end of the lake and use a directional antenna on the 'relay station' and point it down the boat path. Of course this increases the possible transmission distance to the max length of the lake. The signal could be further transmitted from the 'relay station' to the fixed location near the middle of the lake either wirelessly or by using coax.

The current solution uses simple 2 watt 2.4gHz BADA 4 channel transmitters/receivers but it's more than challenging to get the setup to work without having skips and interference issues which are worse than acceptable. On the plus side, the transmitters/receivers are quite cheap.

All this is to be able to transmit a live video signal from a boat to an judges location to be able to officate a competition in real-time.

To improve on this setup would more transmission power or better antennas be preferable? Perhaps a different frequency? Maybe different transmitters/receivers? Any help would be appreciated!

Definitely not cheap, but I have seen something similar setup with one of these on the receiving (shore) side:
http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=22079

And one of these on a boat:
http://www.l-com.com/productfamily.aspx?id=6410

I have seen this tested to approximately 120-deg with a distance up to approx. 1 nautical mile.

Back