Wiring a door sensor

gwww

I am installing a sensor in a door frame. The door was prewired with 4/24 wire. The sensor requires an EOL resistor. In order to connect the sensor and resistor to the prewire I need three wire joins. I am using "B" connectors to join the wires. The sensor is a standard magnetic 3/8" hole.

The big question is how the heck does anyone push three "B" connectors, a resistor, a "bunch" of wire (which I minimized as much as possible), and the sensor into the 3/8" hole? I find that the "B" connectors bind up the hole pretty quick.

Thanks in advance for any help!

BTW, the panel I just bought is the Elk M1 Gold -- so far so good! Love the ElkRP software!

Cheers, /gww

Welcome to CocoonTech!

I would move the resistor somewhere away from the door (but as close as possible), or just don't use it if you don't care for that feature, since use of that resistor is optional.

when this happens, I've removed part of the door frame so that I can get in the gap behind it (between the frame and the sheetrock/insultation) and put my resistors there...

Are there connectors smaller than the typical "B" connector that I could use? That might solve the problem.

Not that I want to start a whole new supervised versus non-supervised discussion again, but, is there any value of putting the resistor at the panel? I know detecting shorts won't work but is there any value left?

Thanks, /gww

not really sure what your 'B' connector looks like, but I used straight thru crimp butt connectors (like these, but for lighter guage wire) and staggered them so they nested together lengthwise, folding the resistor leads as neccessary . . .

Pete C

Back