Wiring Questions

I am about to take on wiring my brother's (new construction) with security, whole-home audio, Cable, Ethernet, and phone.

I have done a lot of retro-fit wiring at my home - but never a full install. So I had a few questions.

1) I know it is bad to run low-voltage next to AC lines and if they have to cross use 90degree angle. What about data wires and speaker wires? Can those be run together - or do they need to be spaced apart?

2) 90% of the wiring will be run through the crawl space area underneath the house - as there really is no attic (bonus rooms). Is this ok? and disadvantages?

3) I was going to use one of the recommendations in one of these threads and use velcro to anchor the wires in the crawl space. What is the easiest way to pull the wires? Do I set up the velcro loops at the ends of a run and use that to guide the wire? I am really lookin for the advice on the interim step of pulling large trunks of wire.

4) I was thinking about upgrading my test equipment (currently just a multimeter!). I was looking at the kits from Test-um - in particular, the Resi-Tester or the Turbo-toner and tracer. While the Resi-Tester seems like an all-in-one solution - I was thinking that a strong toner and tracer would be all the is really needed. What are your experiences? Has anyone used this equipment? Any other recommendations (around the same price range)?

Thanks

I am about to take on wiring my brother's (new construction) with security, whole-home audio, Cable, Ethernet, and phone.

I have done a lot of retro-fit wiring at my home - but never a full install. So I had a few questions.

1) I know it is bad to run low-voltage next to AC lines and if they have to cross use 90degree angle. What about data wires and speaker wires? Can those be run together - or do they need to be spaced apart?

I have run data and speaker together with no issues... except 70V PA lines which need to be separate.

2) 90% of the wiring will be run through the crawl space area underneath the house - as there really is no attic (bonus rooms). Is this ok? and disadvantages?

So there is open space under the whole house? What prevents critters from chewing on the wires?

3) I was going to use one of the recommendations in one of these threads and use velcro to anchor the wires in the crawl space. What is the easiest way to pull the wires? Do I set up the velcro loops at the ends of a run and use that to guide the wire? I am really lookin for the advice on the interim step of pulling large trunks of wire.

I prefer metal D rings because it is easy to add wires to the run.

4) I was thinking about upgrading my test equipment (currently just a multimeter!). I was looking at the kits from Test-um - in particular, the Resi-Tester or the Turbo-toner and tracer. While the Resi-Tester seems like an all-in-one solution - I was thinking that a strong toner and tracer would be all the is really needed. What are your experiences? Has anyone used this equipment? Any other recommendations (around the same price range)?

A toner is essential and will be useful long after this project is done. Not sure how much you would use the Resi-Tester after you are done here.

Thanks

Yes the crawl space spans the entire inside of the foundation - with an access hatch on the back of the house (padlocked). The only critters that i can imagine getting in there would be mice and bugs. But wouldnt they be an issue to wires run anywhere in a house? Do I need to take any special steps when running wires in the crawl space area?

Where do you purchase the D-rings. I went looking for the at HD and could not find them.

Running wire in the crawl space is fine. Just tie the wires up so they are not sitting on the ground. I use the velcro technique myself. I have some staples that are about 1/2 an inch wide and I use 1/2" velcro to tie them up. You can buy a roll of velcro at most wire supply stores and cut to length. Left them longer than you need so you can easily add more wires in the future.

I personally have been pulling wire as needed (since it is a remodle job). This way I'll pull all the wire I need for the moment with it running basically where it will be tie up, and then tie up all the wire at one time. I do not try to pull each wire through the supports as the friction would make it much harder to pull and I would be worried about damaging the wire if there was a corner, etc. Using the velcro makes it very easy to add wire in the future.

In your case, since it is new construction, I would suggest that you should pull all the wire and then tie it up after everything has been pulled. If your height is very low in the crawl space, you might consider pulling wire before the floor goes down. Of course if you do this, you will have to be carefull to leave enough wire to be snaked through the walls once they are up and to the final destination. So you'll probably have more waste doing it this way (because I'd tend to leave the wires longer rather than take a change that they end up too short), but this would be easier than trying to work in a cramped crawl space after all of the framing is done.

Yes the crawl space spans the entire inside of the foundation - with an access hatch on the back of the house (padlocked). The only critters that i can imagine getting in there would be mice and bugs. But wouldnt they be an issue to wires run anywhere in a house? Do I need to take any special steps when running wires in the crawl space area?

Where do you purchase the D-rings. I went looking for the at HD and could not find them.

Lower right on this page.

In new construction I usually pull all my wire that will be going through a trunk area, then secure the bundle. So the wire will be drooping until you secure it, but its quicker in my opinion then velcroing each run. Also I typically use wire ties to bundle all the wires together on a trunk run, inbetween where they are secured to the joists, so doing that prematurely would just take more time if I ended up changing something (number of cat5s, amount of slack, etc).

I would recommenced more than just a toner. You need one of those, they are helpfully if you are not the most meticulous labeler, but a tester than checks for miswires, shorts, opens, etc is extremely valuable. The Resi-Tester is a good choice. I've terminated alot of CAT5 and I still can get a bad connection every once in a while. Also, if you are doing this by yourself without a helper, getting the extra remotes for the tester will pay for itself in a day. Running up and down stairs moving tester remotes eats up alot of time.

Thanks

Back