WOW! It works!

MRL

I cannot tell you how anxious I was as I prepared to initially power up my new ELK M1G, M1EXP Ethernet interface, M1DBH data hub, and CADDX NX448E 48 zone wireless interface. I ran Cat 5 bulk cable to the keypad so I had to put on a RJ45 end to connect it to the data hub. I also ran bulk Cat 5 to the foyer closet where the CADDX NX448E is located. I turned on the system - WOW! It works! No problem! I programmed the control to disable wired zones 1-16, enroll the NX448E, learn a wireless contact. I started up the M1XEP Ethernet interface and the ELK RP software and son of a gun, everything is flying! The phone still works after connecting the RJ31X jack (I have not yet tested the control dialing out). What a neat hardware/software system! My thanks to Martin at AO and to all on this forum who answered my endless questions and made this experience absolutely enjoyable. I still need to install and set up my ZWave interface and to install a wired smoke detector as well as to get all of my wireless detectors positioned. The system has been up for several hours now and I do not smell any smoke nor are any circuits tripping. Neat!

Dang, it is not supposed to be that easy!

Congratulations, the fun is only starting.

I spent 2 weeks getting prepared, asking questions, re-reading the manual, getting opinions, making sure I had all the tools, wires and hardware. For example, I originally did not order the ELK data hub but after reading some opinions, I ordered it and used it to connect both the CADDX NX448E and the ELK ZWave M1XZW - it does make the connections easier. I removed all of the old wiring and ordered Cat 5 bulk cable to connect the keypad, the NX448E and the ZWave M1XZW.
I again do not think it would have gone quite as well without the support from this forum. Thanks again to all - now to really ramp up this system!

P.S. I very strongly recommend that the Ethernet interface be purchased. The Remote Programming software is a joy to behold. What a pleasure to be able to program the system from a very nice graphical interface. Again, I listened to opinions about getting the Ethernet interface and am so happy I went with it.

MRL said:
P.S. I very strongly recommend that the Ethernet interface be purchased. The Remote Programming software is a joy to behold. What a pleasure to be able to program the system from a very nice graphical interface. Again, I listened to opinions about getting the Ethernet interface and am so happy I went with it.
Do you mean the RP software used for programming the Elk? You can also use the Elk's serial port interface with this software.

Just not sure if you meant something else.

I know that you can direct connect a PC via the serial port but I am happy I went with the Ethernet interface that allows me to access the control from my laptop via my WiFi LAN connect. Several on this forum suggested the Ethernet interface due to the convenience over the direct serial connect. My desktop PC is not in the basement where the control box is located so a direct connect would not be possible. I may also purchase the remote monitoring software.

Back