Wow, these voices make Neospeech sound awful!

Craig, welcome to CocoonTech, those voices do sound pretty nice, would it be possible to allow a user to provide the text and have your system synthesize the speech? This would make it easier to compare them with the voices guests have currently installed. An example: I would like to hear certain phrases such as "attention: please close the garage door" and some others key sentences, as this would be the 'baseline' to benchmark against.

Yes certainly. Here's the link to the online demo:
http://www.cepstral.com/cgi-bin/demos/general

The demo provides full uncompressed wav files, you may want to save the output file and play it back locally if it skips on initial download. You're listening to voices that average 16 Megs in size and run on Win, WinCE, and Linux.

(Note, we are at the tail end of a Q&A cycle, so all of Cepstral's voices will be updated and re-released on November 1.)

The 'beta' voices sound much much better than the ones I listened to using the standard online demo you just posted, I also didn't see the beta voices listed in the regular demo.

Correct, the beta voices are only weather voices at this time - they are not yet "general domain" TTS voices that can say anything like the ones you see on the demo page.

David will be available soon.

Craig,
The "new" voices do sound good, but I didn't see a pricing on them. What do you expect the retail to be when released??

Good question. All of Cepstral's TTS voices, including the new portfolio voices, are priced at $29.95 (US). All voices are available on Windows, WinCE, and Linux platforms. David will be available in about 1 month - with a female to follow.

Anyone intersted in linking to our voices can join our affiliate program. We offer a 30% revenue share.

We also offer two types of commercial pricing. One is a volume based license for real-time or concurrent-port usage. Next is a non-realtime wav redistribution license. I would prefer to discuss the detials of these programs individually if you have further questions.

now why didn't I check this out myself ;) Thanks for the tip, can't wait to get home and give them a shot, see how they compare with Neospeech. Looks like they even carry them for the Linux and Sparc platform (great for use with NOC software), pretty cool.

I found that the available voices did not come even distantly close to the Brightspeech voices.
I did like the weather voices.

Same here Ski but I was waiting for someone else to comment as to my track record of comparing the various sound engines.

The only one that I would consider is David, the others are older technology and definitely don't sound as nice, but I am going based on what I heard from that weather test several months back.

Certainly not fair that your temp is 40 degrees higher than ours today... lol

I must be in hell..... err I mean Detroit.

;)

John

Back