X-10 amp/repeater placement opinions wanted.

jay

I'm about to replace my defunct amp/repeater. HA PC is in barn and house is about 200 ft away thru my #6 220VAC feeder.
I control both buildings by X-10.
In the past, I've always had a passive phase coupler on the barn breaker and an amp/repeater on the house breaker.
I could just remove the passive coupler in the barn and replace it with the amp/repeater.
Any opinions?
TIA

I remember reading about a phase coupler/repeater that claimed a very high repeater value that it would incorporate with the X-10 signal. It was supposed to solve severe X-10 problems. I don't remember the details but do remember that it was a small startup effort.

I use the coupler repeater from X-10 pro with good results myself. I do have two seperate services (breaker boxes) but they are located very near each other (not the distance you have).

Also, I did go through my house with a signal meter and put noise filters on all of my X-10 signal sucks (ups units, some TV's etc...). This was a very worthwhile effort as I now have very good results with X-10.

I remember reading about a phase coupler/repeater that claimed a very high repeater value that it would incorporate with the X-10 signal. It was supposed to solve severe X-10 problems. I don't remember the details but do remember that it was a small startup effort.

You may be referring to the XTB-II: http://jeffvolp.home.att.net/x10xmtbuf/XTB...description.htm

That started out as just a 2-phase version of the XTB, but it now includes a basic repeater.

I am currently working on an enhanced repeater. More info on that development is linked off the XTB page. One of the advantages of the enhanced version is that it not only has a variable threshold to deal with line noise, but it also includes a gain switch to prevent overload in a high noise environment. I was testing it with my CFL noisemakers today, and it was solidly digging out a weak X10 signal just barely above the noise generated by the bulbs. The XTB-IIR should be available for distribution later this year.

Jeff

Well, I didn't have any problems until the Leviton repeater died and I got a replacement from AO. I was just going to swap it out but was curious as to what others thought about my having a passive coupler in the building with the HA PC and mounting the amp/repeater in the other building.

Passive is fine and will not hurt. (probably will not help at all) It is roughly the same as turning on the dryer.
Don't use 2 active repeaters.

Seems to me if I have the repeater in the house, it's wise to bridge the phases from the source building. Anyway, I'll just replace the repeater. Not sure why anyone would use 2 actives. That could mess the packets I'd think.

Passive is fine and will not hurt. (probably will not help at all) It is roughly the same as turning on the dryer.
Don't use 2 active repeaters.
There is one issue with combining a passive coupler and a repeater that has to be considered. That is the phase of the 120KHz coupled to each leg. The early XPCP and Leviton couplers had tuned transformer-coupled circuits that drove both 120KHz signals out-of-phase. That enabled 240V devices that bridge the line to receive a strong signal, but heavy 240V loads, such as a range or dryer, severly attenuate the signal. While I haven't confirmed it myself, I have been told that some repeaters also drive the 120KHz out-of-phase.

Newer passive couplers, such as the SignaLinc and the new Decora XPCP (which is still transformer coupled) drive the 120KHz signals in-phase. That is more compatible with heavy 240V loads, but can present a problem when paired with a repeater that drives out-of-phase.

I addressed this issue toward the end of this tutorial: http://jeffvolp.home.att.net/x10_info/x10_couplers.htm

There are some repeaters designed to be paired in large installations. ACT makes one of them.

Jeff

I had an ACT but it did not hold up in the Las Vegas heat (in my garage near the breaker box). I purchased the Levition to replace it, but noticed the amplitude of the repeated signal was low (with my meter) and I was having intermittent problems in the house. I traded that for an X-10 Pro and haven't had any problems since.

I had an ACT but it did not hold up in the Las Vegas heat (in my garage near the breaker box).
Hello Neighbor!

I'm just up the street from you (well actually about 120 miles up I-15). It gets HOT here too!

Regarding signal levels, all the repeaters I am familiar with have transformerless power supplies. That limits the amount of energy available. Also, while transformerless supplies are small and cheap, they consume essentially the same amount of energy, regardless of the load. When the repeater isn't actually transmitting a signal, all the energy must be dissipated as waste heat. Perhaps that was a problem for the ACT. The ACT spec gives 120F as maximum operating temperature. Before I insulated our garage doors and added active ventallation during the early morning hours, our garage would certainly peak out above that.

Jeff

I agree Jeff. I took the ACT unit's case off and performed a few measurements and noticed the heat sinks were very hot. I was thinking about adding some fins/modifications but gave up on the unit as I needed it to work right away.

Back