xAP applications

Dean Roddey said:
I'd hope we could get into that in Q1, because we'd like to, if nothing else, start interacting with things like the SqueezeBox.
you don't need xap to control the squeezebox. they already have a generic CLI built into slimserver. see the docs:

The SlimServer provides a command-line interface to the Slim Devices players via standard in and out and a TCP/IP port. After starting the server, commands and queries may be sent by connecting to a specific TCP/IP port or directly from the command line. The server will reply echoing the request (for commands) or by returning the requested data (for queries). By default, the SlimServer will listen for connections on TCP/IP port 9090. This format is designed for ease of integration into AMX, Crestron and other automation systems.

Skibum said:
Is there a xpl to xap connverter available?

I'd like to be able to get information froim asterisk to HS.

Any ideas?
Hi

There is a provision in xPLHAL to enable messages to be passed onto the xAP world but i dont think theres any xAP TO xPL message forwarding....

HTH
Frank

I use an embedded xAP controller for C-Bus lighting too - implemented on a Rabbit processor and using the xAP lighting and the xAP BSC schema. I also FWIW have xAP running embedded on both Crestron and AMX processors. For Asterisk there is a native xAP application released too.

The beauty of using xAP to control say a Squeezebox is that it abstracts the audio player control to a media schema - which means that the controlling application just drives a xAP Audio player - the fact it is a Squeezebox isn't relevant. You could swap out the Squeezebox for another (xAP enabled) audio player and it would continue to work just the same, could be a software application like WinAMP or TelCanto say or a hardware player like Barix Extstreamer. The xAP connector to SlimServer offers many additional features (cf xPL) for things like message display on individual players with a fully managed queue/resume/priority based feature.

The Phaedrus xAP Netiom is a key embedded building block for xAP automation as it offers 16 binary inputs, 16 outputs, 4 Analog inputs, serial port, counters etc all using a 'universal' xAP BSC schema . Thus you can xAP enable most common devices eg an Alarm panel with ease. It is also low cost .

xAP BSC "Basic Status and Control" is a schema designed to support the vast majority of simple devices. It handles relatime control and status updating of binary (ON|OFF), Level (any resolution or % based) and Text devices which includes serial I/O. It is an attempt within xAP to achieve really nice plug and play control. Interestingly most devices can be totally modelled using these 3 types of state although for the more complex ones (eg an AV amplifier) you would normally add another more detailed schema.

K

I was using xAP a little to control my Slimserver when I was playing with Homeseer but I thought the implementation was cumbersome so I switched to command line xPL. (After damage showed me how)

I am kind of curious about xPLHAL because of the phone application in it but also want to learn more about the Netiom xAP hardware. I'm still not clear on the best way to use this stuff and whether to focus more on xPL or xAP or a combination of the two.

I use xap in my home to allow for easy communications between the Homeseer server, The HT control system and 5 in wall touch screens that are actually windows 95 machines (Panasonic CF-01). I wrote all my own code based on the xap activeX control.

The same basic application runs on each platform, with variations in the message action routines.

For example xap messages run between the touchscreens and the homeseer server to control x10 devices, virtual devices, trigger events, run scripts, etc. Homeseer returns function resulkts via xap messages. If the Home Theater system (HT) needs to control X10 lighting it sends xap messages to homeseer. It also keeps Homeseer apprised of what is playing where so that anouncements can properly play over the dedicated anouncement system or through whole house audio if it is running, and in the theater if it is being used.

What I really like is that it is easy to trace messages to see what is happening.

upstatemike said:
I was using xAP a little to control my Slimserver when I was playing with Homeseer but I thought the implementation was cumbersome so I switched to command line xPL. (After damage showed me how)

I am kind of curious about xPLHAL because of the phone application in it but also want to learn more about the Netiom xAP hardware. I'm still not clear on the best way to use this stuff and whether to focus more on xPL or xAP or a combination of the two.
there is a separate app called xpl phone. i use it to send caller id to my slimp3s and other osd devices. you can also build up a touch tone menu system w/ some scripts, xplhal & this app.

w/ xplhal you can bridge between xpl and xap, which is what i'm doing.

I think xPL phone is what I was thinking of. I just assumed it was part of xPLHAL, not stand alone. In any case, the examples show it using a voice modem to dial a number and speak a TTS message or play a wav. Just the functionality I am looking for to do pages over my Panasonic phone system!

Just trying to work out if I could use it from a command line (ie batch file) using xPLsend.

Also, it appears to use the default voice you have defined in Windows. Does anybody know if there is a command line method for changing the Windows default TTS voice on the fly?

upstatemike said:
Also, it appears to use the default voice you have defined in Windows. Does anybody know if there is a command line method for changing the Windows default TTS voice on the fly?
i don't know if changing the default voice will change the voice in xpl phone. the only way i know of changing the voice for xpl phone is through the device configuration in xplhal.

Back