Z-Wave and Think Essentials Issues

OK guys, I need some of your valuable opinions.

I can't get the Vizia RF+ Installer tool to recognize the USB stick.  I first tried it on my main PC running Windows 8.1.  Thinking the 8.1 might be an issue, I then loaded the software into two other computers, a Dell 8400 with Windows XP Pro, and an IBM laptop with Windows XP Home.  Same results with each machine.

If I were to give up on the Leviton approach and return the USB stick, what would be another good controller to go for?  There must be something out there that has fewer issues to it.  In reading reviews, I see I'm not the only one that has this problem with Leviton.

I appreciate your opinions.

Deane

EDIT:  In looking around the internet, the VeraLite keeps coming up as a good controller.  Does that resonate with anyone?

When I plug it in, I get a "USB Input Device" added to the list.

EDIT:  After reading a lot about the Vera Lite, and watching a video of it being programmed, it looks like a lot of fun.  I have to try one, so I put my order in so I'd have it for the weekend.

I don't know if you're still interested in my opinion, but here it is.  I have a house full of Insteon gear, and a few Z-Wave devices that I'm mostly just playing with.  I have an ISY and a Vera.  The Vera reminds me of the ISY.  Both are #1 in terms of support of their respective primary protocols: largest array of devices, and the ability to interrogate and set all of their parameters, and log activity.  That's why I recommended the Vera.

But (big but) I'm not sure how good Vera is at transferring network information to the VRC0P, which if I understand you correctly is your main means of interacting with your devices.  Before going down the Vera road, I'd research that if I were you.

And my experience with Leviton's RFIT is confined to Windows 7 and the Think Stick.

-Tom

Deane Johnson said:
Dean:

Thanks for the response.

I think the old network is dead and will be unnecessary unless the new controller will happen to retrieve it.  In that unlikely case, I'll just stick with the old network.

I spent last evening watching how-to videos on your site.  Nicely done.  I wish I had enough memory left (mental) to learn CQC.  It sure looks interesting.

Deane

Have you seen this one? It's not on the web site yet. It's the latest auto-generation system, which makes it a lot easier to get a nice setup:

http://www.charmedquark.com/Web2/Downloads/Video%20Tutorials/Version4_6/AutoGen_1.wmv

It does require drivers compatible with our V2 architecture, but the core ones are getting done now. I just got a V2 Z-Wave driver to the point where people are starting to bang on it. It's vastly better than the previous one.

It's possible that the incorrect USB Z-Wave driver is not installed.

What’s odd is I previously installed RFIT on Win8 machine and it worked. I didn’t like Win8, so I moved back to Win7. The Leviton RFIT site, “RF Installer is currently incompatible with most installations of Windows 8. Leviton will be providing Win 8 support in future versions.”

The RFIT supported OS list is, “Windows Server 2003; Windows Server 2008; Windows Vista; Windows XP, Windows 7” are supported.

If RFIT doesn’t like your USB stick, a yellow triangle with “Not connected to a supported RF Installer USB Stick.”

Dean Roddey said:
Have you seen this one? It's not on the web site yet. It's the latest auto-generation system, which makes it a lot easier to get a nice setup:

http://www.charmedquark.com/Web2/Downloads/Video%20Tutorials/Version4_6/AutoGen_1.wmv

It does require drivers compatible with our V2 architecture, but the core ones are getting done now. I just got a V2 Z-Wave driver to the point where people are starting to bang on it. It's vastly better than the previous one.

I did find the link somewhere and viewed it.  Impressive achievement.

d.dennerline said:
It's possible that the incorrect USB Z-Wave driver is not installed.

What’s odd is I previously installed RFIT on Win8 machine and it worked. I didn’t like Win8, so I moved back to Win7. The Leviton RFIT site, “RF Installer is currently incompatible with most installations of Windows 8. Leviton will be providing Win 8 support in future versions.”

The RFIT supported OS list is, “Windows Server 2003; Windows Server 2008; Windows Vista; Windows XP, Windows 7” are supported.

If RFIT doesn’t like your USB stick, a yellow triangle with “Not connected to a supported RF Installer USB Stick.”

I get the "yellow triangle not supported stick" warning on all 3 machines, one with Windows 8.1 and two with XP.  There must be some way to check what was installed.

I thought sure the issue had to be Windows 8.1 and I was surprised when the same issue showed up on the two with XP.

xlurkr said:
I don't know if you're still interested in my opinion, but here it is

But (big but) I'm not sure how good Vera is at transferring network information to the VRC0P, which if I understand you correctly is your main means of interacting with your devices.  Before going down the Vera road, I'd research that if I were you.

-Tom

Absolutely I'm interested in and value your opinion.

I note that Elve has a driver for Vera.  I wonder if the Vera protocol is the same for the Vera Lite as for the other Vera units.  I would think so.

I have to be careful what I do at this point as I have a fully functioning network and when I start messing with it, I will lose it.  I suppose the best way to go might be to start a completely new network with Vera using unrelated modules and run tests with Elve on those modules.  I'm sure I'll stub my toe somewhere along the line.

EDIT:  I found some posts between a used and John Hughes regarding VeraLite and Elve.  It seems VeraLite did have a "breaking" code change around 2012 and Elve's driver has not been updated.

I may be at the point of returning the Vera to Amazon unopened, as well as the Leviton stick.  That puts me at the starting gate without an idea.

It's interesting that I can use the new RFIT software with my old ThinkStick in 8.1, allowing me to add test modules.  However, the new stick isn't recognized on any of 3 PCs.  Makes me wonder if the stick is defective.

Deane Johnson said:
I did find the link somewhere and viewed it.  Impressive achievement.

It's not just that it generates some nice stuff for you, it also provides you with working examples of most of the things you might want to do in terms of adding your own functionality. So you can grab stuff from the generated content and modify it for your needs in your own custom content, instead of having to figure out from scratch how to do this or that. And you can integrate custom content into it as well. Here's another video demonstrating that.

http://www.charmedquark.com/Web2/Downloads/Video%20Tutorials/Version4_6/AutoGen_2.wmv

And it also shows how simple it was to create that custom content.

Did you make sure that an older version of TE was not installed?

Have uninstalled and reinstalled RFIT, but used account with administrative privileges.

You downloaded the latest version from here  - http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/SectionDisplay.jsp?section=47775&minisite=10251.

Does the VRUSB have a green square LED pushed inside a picture frame? I had an original VRUSB and it seemed to have a problem with the latest version of RFIT 1.1.3.0. The older version had a different colored LED.

Leviton Technical support does provide phone support if using suppored OS.

d.dennerline said:
Did you make sure that an older version of TE was not installed?

The old version of Think Essentials remains installed.

d.dennerline said:
Have uninstalled and reinstalled RFIT, but used account with administrative privileges.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled RFIT.  I don't know about account with administrative privileges so I obviously didn't do it.  RFIT opens fine with the old Think Stick installed.  It will not even open with the new RFIT stick installed.  Just hangs up on the logo screen.

d.dennerline said:

Yes, I downloaded the latest version from that page.

d.dennerline said:
Does the VRUSB have a green square LED pushed inside a picture frame? I had an original VRUSB and it seemed to have a problem with the latest version of RFIT 1.1.3.0. The older version had a different colored LED.

Leviton Technical support does provide phone support if using suppored OS.

I have a green light.

[SIZE=14.3999996185303px]Here's the latest update.  I now have the RFIT software appearing to operate normally with my old Think Stick.   I should now rebuild my network and assume it will operate normally with Elve and the VRC0P interface.  I think.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.3999996185303px]I have looked at other software over the past few days, and I have trouble finding any that does all that Elve does, so I'm prone to want to maintain my ability to use Elve.  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.3999996185303px]My Z Wave network is small so it's not terribly hard to rebuild.  Only 8 nodes.  I had planned for more, but discovered my old PCS X-10 wall dimmers were more reliable than the Z-Wave, so I stopped expanding.  Not a single failure in the past half dozen years.[/SIZE]

Time for an update.

I finally realized I was not going to get the Leviton Installation Tool system working.  I suspect a defective stick.  Without another one here to test that theory, I tossed in the towel on Leviton.

With an unopened Vera Lite on hand, I decided to try that.  I know this opinion is in the minority, but I found the system to be a lot of nothing.  The web based software doesn't let you do much of anything.  The deal breaker was that it wouldn't update my VRC0P, something that was predicted by a poster earlier in this thread.  He was right and I wasn't surprised since my VRC0P is an early model.

While contemplating with a cup of coffee, I suddenly remembered I had an unopened 10 year old Z-Troller in my goody cupboard.  Could that possibly work without having HomeSeer available.  Not bothering to read the instructions as usual, I first thought I needed to see if it would update my VRC0P.   It did so like a charm.

Next, I needed to see how to deal with modules that had been programmed to a different network and the "exclusion" controller wasn't available any longer.   I did a factory reset on those that I could, but GE/Jasco and Intermatic didn't provide any path to a factory reset.  Surprisingly, the Z-Troller did an "exclusion" when I tried it.  So, I was able to rebuild the entire network with the Z-troller, and it's all showing up as it should in Elve.  I'm back to full operation with my home automation after going through the software and changing all of the node numbers to those assigned by the Z-Troller.

The bad news:  While I have a fully functional Z-Wave Network up and running, there's only one way to access it for any required maintenance.  That's through the HomeSeer software which I don't have.  So, I won't be messing with it, which is probably good anyway given my recent experience.  Does this mean there's Homeseer in my future?

I really like the Z-Troller, and mine is even an old early generation model.  I would guess that the new one Homeseer is coming out with in a couple of months will be a killer.  I can't imagine there is a better thought out controller on the market.  It's physically convenient and seems to be very flexible in use with multiple brands of modules. 

Thanks to all who made posts and suggestions in this thread.  I'm now a small notch smarter about Z-Wave.

Deane

PS:  I don't know how I got this green "best answer" thingy on here.

Back