Z-wave beginner questions / IR - control - PC - thermostat - wayne dalton, etc.

tiredder

Ok, after 5h of internet research my brain is smoking, just have a few simple questions:

1) Where can I find a IR to Z-wave module, so that when I use my Harmony 880 to run the Watch TV macro, it would also turn on a few Z-wave lamp modules to a certain dimmed position.

2) What is the cheapest software solution for controlling Z-wave devices? I just want something cheap that I'll run on my Windows Home Server where I plug in one of those USB Z-wave thingies (or do those come with some basic software?)

3) eventually I would like to integrate the Z-wave network into win7 Media Center, I would assume I would need to buy a software plug in? (can this then be my PC base automation controller?)
Now my WHS is running 24/7, but the media center PC only on demand (WOL) - any thoughts.

4) Eventually I would to add a Z-wave thermostat, so that I can change the temp when I am laying in bed at the other end of the house (maybe with iphone or media center xtender or similar in the master bedroom). So can I just use any Z-wave thermostat and then control it from anywhere I can control other Z-wave items?

5) just to make it more confusing, I have a Vista 20P security system which I would also like to eventually integrate so that I can check zone status and arm/disarm remotely, any input on this? I have found that I likely need to buy the Vista ICM and hook that to my network and hope that whatever control software I choose has drivers for it and I should be good to go, right?

I know these questions have been answered here and there and sound very newbie-ish, but I have been searching my butt off over the last few days and haven't really found the right answers...
As always I appreciate your guys' help.
Thanks.

oh and one more thing...

6) I have Wayne and Dalton iDrive Garage door openers and have been trying to figure out how to tie those into my HA network. I know that Wayne Dalton are getting in the whole Z-wave stuff haven't been able to find out how I could tie those into my network and monitor status (open/closed) and operate them.

I guess this could almost be a separate topic.

I'm not familiar with this particular security system but if this is the PC interface then yes you will need that.

Homeseer is generally a great product. Highly customizable and has many many plugins for controling/interfacing with a plethora of other things. If you do plan on going Homeseer and Z-Wave though, I would suggest getting their custom controller, the z-troller, as it does things most other controllers cant (it really simplifies adding devices, for instance.)

Nick

yeah, right now I just want to get something cheap to keep everything together, even if it means some programming. In the beginning I don't need a nice GUI. I just want to start of slowly and cost effective. I'll look at those software suggestions you have made.

A few months ago I was looking at mControl, does anybody have experience with those guys?

... I just want to get something cheap ... even if it means some programming.
That sounds like my cue to introduce you to Premise Home Control.

Premise might be a good fit for your needs:
Premise's usefulness to you hinges on whether or not its Ademco driver is compatible with your model (Vista 20P).

Thanks for all your input!!

Now I have my software question answered, but do you guys have some ideas on my other questions???

1) Where can I find a IR to Z-wave module, so that when I use my Harmony 880 to run the Watch TV macro, it would also turn on a few Z-wave lamp modules to a certain dimmed position.
Place an IR receiver next to your TV. The cheapest option is an IRA-3 (serial-port; can be a long cable run to the PC) or you can use an IR receiver/transmitter like a USB-UIRT (USB port; short cable run). A more expensive option is to use a Global Cache GC-100 which is a network-based IR receiver/transmitter (and it also has relays).

Instruct Premise to learn the Harmony's "WatchTV" IR code. Have it dim lights (Z-Wave, UPB, Insteon, Lutron, X10, etc) and whatever else you want whenever it encounters the IR code.

4) ... can I just use any Z-wave thermostat and then control it from anywhere I can control other Z-wave items?
Generally speaking, yes, provided the Z-Wave driver supports thermostats. Be sure to check the HA software's driver specs to confirm it handles thermostats.

That IRA-3 sounds like exactly what I was looking for. Now, is there something like that that can convert the IR signals directly into Z-wave signals? I guess it would need to understand what it is converting to and go to the HA controller first, which in my case will be my WHS running also my HA software.

I guess I'll have to do some more research what the best software solution for me would be. I just wanted to start of with something that's free like maybe the premise, and start buying some devices and tie those together...

Thanks everybody for your input. And if somebody has some experience with those Wayne-Dalton iDrive garage door openers, let me know. Thanks.

Back