Z-Wave Locks Question

firstone

I'm considering getting z-wave locks and my main requirement is being able to assign codes remotely through software. I don't care too much about unlocking doors remotely, but I want to set up the software to create temporary codes on certain days. Like when the cleaning lady comes, for instance.

Looking at the specs I believe Schlage supports it. There no mentioning of it in Kwikset specs. I wonder if anyone has any experience with this.

If someone know if it can be done and especially if you know actual commands that need to be sent, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks.

I have the Kwikset motorized lock, and the Vera 2 controller allows me to manage (add/delete) users for this lock without any problems. I'm still playing with this, but I will cover it when I post my Vera 2 review.

Welcome to the Journey this has been a great place to gather information and share experiences. You can do this with the Schlage Link software. In fact you can only setup temporary access codes remotely. Kwikset doesn't have software like Schlage. When you say remotely what exactly do you mean? Do you mean from a smartphone or from a internet connection outside of your environment? Depending on what software your running you can accomplish this with either Manufacturer's Lock Sets. B)

When you say remotely what exactly do you mean? Do you mean from a smartphone or from a internet connection outside of your environment? Depending on what software your running you can accomplish this with either Manufacturer's Lock Sets. B)

Well, in the original scope, I just wanted to know if it's doable. In an ideal world, by "remotely" I mean - is it possible to send a command in a hex format to Aeon stick or to VRC0P controller to maintain user codes. If their software does it, theoretically it should be possible.

I want to get several locks and ideally want to be able to update the user codes from a single place. But even it I can only assign temp codes that way, it's still better than nothing.

I do not remember seeing any type of command in the VRC0P documentation which allows you to do this, but obviously it is possible since Vera 2 can do it via its internal Z-Wave interface.

Can this be done through the VRC0Pv3 "SS" operation?

The app note illustrates the use of the 0x62 (lock/unlock) and 0x80 (battery level) commands.

I need to find better documentation. The App Note I have lists the basic command, but not the command classes.

I want to get several locks and ideally want to be able to update the user codes from a single place. But even it I can only assign temp codes that way, it's still better than nothing.
You will have to update each lock individually. You can add, delete and update user codes with Vera or HomeSeer remotely(web interface) - the reason Schlage only allows temporary codes from the the smarthphone interface is security. B)

Can this be done through the VRC0Pv3 "SS" operation?

The app note illustrates the use of the 0x62 (lock/unlock) and 0x80 (battery level) commands.
You might find these posts helpful:

http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16481

http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18200&view=findpost&p=158164

Thank you for all responses and links. I'll definitely play with it once I get some $$ I can spend on it. It seems like it should be possible to do in custom software.

As Markh pointed out, I would look into Premise (which is free). We built an opensource module for Premise that does this, so it's very easy for you to grab the codes used via port spy in Premise Builder. The necessary links are in my signature.

Back