Z wave my fireplace

68sting

I have a switch on the wall that turns my fireplace on and I thought I could just replace the switch with a zwave switch. When I went to remove the switch there's two small (20ga?) wires that run down to the fireplace. Any ideas on how to get this working with a zwave switch?

Are you sure you want to automate something like a fireplace? Sounds a little scary to me.

But to answer your question, if it's a basic contact closure, then I'd think using one of the imminently arriving rocker switches would do it. Do you know what exactly closing that switch does?

He probably has a set-up similar to mine, gas logs with an electronic igniter. My fireplace has a standing pilot light, flip on the switch and this allows the gas to flow. These are usually found on fully enclosed systems. i.e. solid glass screen not doors that can be opened. Let me know how it works I have kicked around the idea myself.

There should be a 120v to 24v transformer inside the fireplace this connects to a limit switch which in turn controls the flow of gas to the burners. Your light switch will pass any voltage up to its rated capacity, usually 120v@15 amps. I guess the question is, Will a Zwave switch operate at 24v or does it need 120v to work its magic?

Does your manufacture sell the remote control option for your fireplace. My logs came with a remote so I just use the Ocelot to send a signal to turn them on and off.

The Z-wave Modules are 120VAC. You could however use a Z-Wave Appliance Module to operate a 120VAC relay, which would then allow you to pick a contact rating of your choice and configuration. I thought of doing that myself and controlling a large relay for electric hot water heater control, turning it off when not in use etc.

Hello guys and thanks for the replies.

There's no power involved in turning the fireplace on now. I have include and picture so you can see. My fireplace is a HeatnGlo brand. The remote you can buy is rf and seems like a waste of money when I want to use the z wave remote. I want to set up a scene that would include the fireplace along with lighting. You know the romance scene. I do have a couple of outlets down there that are wired to another switch in case I want to add a blower. I could use that to power a relay. I have no idea where to look or what to look for in a relay. I would prefer to not use that outlet if possible in case I want to add a fan for occasional use. I think it would be nice on cold days to log on to Homeseer and turn the fireplace on from work before coming home. If I did that I would want a fan to help circulate the air. I guess I could put both on an appliance modules to control them individually. I don't think it gets real hot under there. I'm looking at a W800RF32 for another project and wonder if there was an x-10 relay that would work with it. I believe I can get Homeseer to run the scene using both technoledgies.

Attachments

• img_6335.jpg
    img_6335.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 25
I would run that straight to the Elk... Save yourself the $ for a rate of rise heat detector to mount directly over it. :D

68sting said:
I'm looking at a W800RF32 for another project and wonder if there was an x-10 relay that would work with it. I believe I can get Homeseer to run the scene using both technoledgies.
I just automated 4 direct vent fireplaces for a customer a couple weeks ago. The entire house is Leviton DHC (X10), so X10 Universal Modules were easy to drop in place for fireplace control:

http://www.smarthome.com/2010.html

The Universal Module can be linked to any X10 transmitter (light switch, remote, etc.) and also tied into HomeSeer, Elk, etc. for more control. It provides the contact closure (relay) you need.

Cheers,
Paul

Especially for X10, a safety mechanism folks have used was to put two switches in series on different house codes so that the chance of a spurious powerline signal kicking on the fireplace when it shouldn't is greatly minimized. On two house codes so the "All On" doesn't trigger the fireplace when you meant the lights. With a software controlled system, easy to turn both house codes on for the romance. In my mind, worth the additional $30.

Now, with Insteon / UPB / Zwave, maybe not as critical (but probably still a good idea) due to their higher reliabilty and imunity.

sounds like your playing with fire. ;)

Is there some sort of safety mechanism to make sure the fireplace isn't turned on accidentally - i.e. cleaning it

The fireplaces I've automated for clients are direct vent units which are actually enclosed/sealed on the front with glass (you can't even reach into them). From what I understand they are as safe as a gas furnace so can actually run unattended just as a furnace would.

I'd never automate a gas insert style fireplace for a customer (especially not with X10). ;)

Cheers,
Paul

Sorry to bump a thread from over a year ago but this is the same setup I have. I would like to automate the fireplace. 68sting how did you make out with this?

Back