Z-Wave Thermostat

what's wrong with just spec'ing a low voltage box at each thermostat location...run a length of conduit for those that will have access issues...heck do conduit on all of them regardless...how many are you talking about?

Well the conduit has issues because of obstructions in the walls. I can probably do with as few as two temp sensors, one upstairs and one downstairs. Maybe I'll run 7 wire thermostat cable and cat 5 to each spot where I want a thermostat or temp sensor.

Both Proliphix & RCS are pretty decent brands - if they're both automatable, which one does the wife prefer from a cosmetic perspective? You could also pick an Aprilaire, which I think looks real nice, but they're not IP so you'd need to remotely put in a protocol adapter.

Hi Guys and thanks very much. I am leaning toward the Prohiplix one. The RCS Z-Wave one seems to do very little. Realistically, I may not add a HA PC for some time, and I would like to be able to program the thermostat. From reading the description of the Z-Wave one, it seems to lack that capability (although I'll take a closer look). Both of them though support remote sensors.

Question though... If I have two different air conditioners in my house, can one thermostat control both or do I need two separate thermostats? I don't have two separate AC units now, but I'll probably add a second one for the upstairs before next summer.

Was there a thermostat that I could make display the weather forecast? I seem to remember reading about that somewhere but now I can't find it...

If I were to get the RCS Z-Wave remote, I can always whip up a little software to change the temp I guess. Would I be able to control it using a Leviton Z-Wave remote?

Hi Guys and thanks very much. I am leaning toward the Prohiplix one. The RCS Z-Wave one seems to do very little. Realistically, I may not add a HA PC for some time, and I would like to be able to program the thermostat. From reading the description of the Z-Wave one, it seems to lack that capability (although I'll take a closer look). Both of them though support remote sensors.

Question though... If I have two different air conditioners in my house, can one thermostat control both or do I need two separate thermostats? I don't have two separate AC units now, but I'll probably add a second one for the upstairs before next summer.
You will need 2.

Back