ZWave Scene by Night vs Day

Grinner

Hi. I'm new here, but have lurked for a while. Deciding on security and HA retrofit solution for a newly constructed house.

My question: Assuming I go with ZWave or UPB and ELK M1, how can I setup a wall switch to select a different light level depending on time of day (or sunrise / sunset)?

This is easy for lights that are activated by the M1. Just select an appropriate scene based on time of day. But, what about when someone pushes a wall switch in the bathroom at 3am? I'd like to bring on the lights at only 25% brightness in this case, but at full brightness during the day. Seamless to the user (wife). She pushes the switch the same at 3am and at noon, but the lights are smart enough to select the right brightness.

It seems that dimmers always control the local load. Wouldn't it be nice if wall switches existed that did nothing but send a message to the M1? Then let the M1 respond to the message by activating an appropriate scene based on whatever critieria I wish.

Do these wall switches exist? Does anyone have a solution to set brightess levels based on time of day with UPB / ZWave and an M1??

Thank you!!!

They are called Transmitters with X10/Zwave. It could be done but with prob be much easier with UPB I would use something the the 6 or 8 button controller. That way you would still have Full on/off in those emergency situations.

M1 Rule
IF A1 On
Time is 1-3 a.m.
then turn on A2 30%

Not exactly but should give you ideas.

Wow, lightning-fast reply. Thanks!!! I didn't know the terminology.

Great idea on the controller. Hate to think of a bathroom emergency at 3am, but if I ever did have one I'd probably need some light!!!

Perhaps a motion sensor to send event to M1 to turn on the lights to appropriate level and a simple ZWave / UPB wall dimmer for manual control would also be a good solution.

Another potential solution: Use a transmitter to send on/off events to M1, and have the M1 set the appropriate dimming level with the following caveat: if the dim level isn't 0, and the "on" event is received, set to 100%. Always have the "off" event turn the lights off.

At 3am, push the "on" button, lights come on to 25%. If there's an emergency, push "on" again, and lights come all the way on. No motion sensor and intuitive. I'll give some of this a shot and report back on effectiveness and WAF of ultimate solution in actual practice.

I believe Insteon can do what you are looking for. The first time you press a switch it can come on to a default dim level you set, using whatever fade rate you desire. A second press will bump it to 100% bright.

both my Lightolier x10 switches, and my current UPB switches do this as well, I would think that the Z-wave switches would support this as well.

That's cool, but I'd want the predetermined dim level to vary by time of day. I don't think that's possible with these devices, and I don't want to double-tap during the day. Looks like I have to get the M1 involved.

I just realized that I need to have a transmitter and a ZWave / UPB dimmer in this setup. The transmitter sends the request to M1. M1 determines dim level and sends command to the dimmer. If I use a transmitter as the wall switch, then were do I install the dimmer? I would need an in-line dimmer that can be installed in the light fixture box or something.

There are several places that I'd like to use this setup. Two bathrooms and two walk-in closets. Actually, wherever the definition of "on" should vary by ambient sunlight. I might just be taking this automation thing too far... I'll get the M1, a few ZWave dimmers, a few wireless sensors, and get things "walking" before I "run".

With UPB switches, I believe you can change the local control to 'links', so you could then have the HA controller turn on the light to the correct level. This might cause a 1-2 second delay tho, but might be worth it. I personally want to do the same thing, but never even bothered trying this since I just started with UPB about a month ago, I will try this tonight.

How about having the Elk reprogram the switches dim level and ramp rate twice a day. At sunrise (or whatever), set the dim level to 100%. At sunset or bed time change it to 25%. No delays.

Taking this one step further - if you set your system up to use modes (like press a goodnight button on a remote when you go to bed) you could have the controller reprogram the switches at that time.

I know that the Lightolier switches could be programmed remotely by sending X10 codes in a certain sequence, but how would the M1 update the preset dim value?

electron said:
With UPB switches, I believe you can change the local control to 'links', so you could then have the HA controller turn on the light to the correct level. This might cause a 1-2 second delay tho, but might be worth it. I personally want to do the same thing, but never even bothered trying this since I just started with UPB about a month ago, I will try this tonight.
This should be the best way to do it. You can configure a single click of Top and Bottom rocker to transmit a link which is then configured as a lighting device in the range of 193-256. You should then be able to use rules to control the light the way you want. I have partially tested this and I know for sure you can just transmit the links but have not tested a rule going back and controlling the load but it should work.

Brad from SAI should also be able to confirm this. Paging UPBSeer...

And no, the M1 can not reprogram a UPB switch, only UPStart can.

Back