ELK M1 Gold System Configuration Questions, help would be really appreciated!

Gravinus

Good Morning Everyone!!

This is my first crack at setting up a security system and I'm hoping someone can help me determine the best way to configure my system with the following requirements. It will be used at my cabin and I have DSL internet, but no dedicated phone connection. 

I bought an M1 Gold package with a couple keypads, an M1DBH and a M1XEP. I also have a PC that I want to connect to the system to integrate my Homeseer automation control of the system. 

My problem is after reading the M1XEP manual, it states to connect the unit to the RS232 port, but it also says to open Elk RP to perform the configuration. In this case, should I be trying to connect the PC to the controller via the RS485 data bus since there is only one RS232 port on the controller?

Long term, my thought was that I would want the PC and the M1XEP both connected directly to the router and communicating through that? 

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Ben

Gravinus said:
My problem is after reading the M1XEP manual, it states to connect the unit to the RS232 port, but it also says to open Elk RP to perform the configuration. In this case, should I be trying to connect the PC to the controller via the RS485 data bus since there is only one RS232 port on the controller?

If you aren't using the XEP [yet], the RS232 port shouldn't be used - and should be available for your computer to connect.

index.php

Gravinus said:
Long term, my thought was that I would want the PC and the M1XEP both connected directly to the router and communicating through that? 

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Ben

Once you install the XEP, it will utilize the RS232 serial port. You can then connect in ElkRP via Network connection.

Thanks for the reply and info!

Where I'm confused is that I definitely can connect directly to the controller via the comm port, but in the manual for the XEP I have to configure the connection using ElkRP. Until the XEP is configured, won't it be occupying my RS232 port and unable to communicate directly with my LAN network?

Thanks again for the help!

You don't need to use RP.   Connect the M1 to a keypad and the XEP, then you can use the keypad to do the initial enrollments, then connect to the XEP via the network which will have a DHCP address (or default address if no DHCP is available).  From that point you can connect your laptop, change it to a static IP in ElKRP and use it for the rest of the configuration.

There may be other ways but that is the path I took...

Gravinus said:
Thanks for the reply and info!

Where I'm confused is that I definitely can connect directly to the controller via the comm port, but in the manual for the XEP I have to configure the connection using ElkRP. Until the XEP is configured, won't it be occupying my RS232 port and unable to communicate directly with my LAN network?

Thanks again for the help!

Ok. Sorry, I was under the impression that you were going to get the XEP later - as in you didn't have one now.

As Wuench stated, connect everything now and perform the initial enrollments. Then, make sure to set the Globals as stated in the XEP manual. Then you can "Find" the XEP via the M1XEP Setup menu in ElkRP.

Understand that you need to be "Connected" to the panel (Green button in bottom right of RP) to change the XEP configuration (e.g. IP address, DDNS, etc), via Send (ElkRP -> M1).

Back