Assistance w/replacing older Brinks with new DIY installation?

Hard to see the layout in the picture, but not where I'd choose as a first go around. Would also not be able to be "pet immune" if ever needed.

Given the choices, and hard to see, but it looks like over the top of the french door is a straight shot across the basement stairs. I don't know where the rest of the openings relate to it.

DELInstallations said:
Hard to see the layout in the picture, but not where I'd choose as a first go around. Would also not be able to be "pet immune" if ever needed.

Given the choices, and hard to see, but it looks like over the top of the french door is a straight shot across the basement stairs. I don't know where the rest of the openings relate to it.
Sorry about the pic...hard to capture the entire basement (including windows) in a single pic.  I made a quick illustration to show the lay out...not sure if this helps a little more?

I would not be opposed to putting it over the patio door ..but I was trying to get right in the middle of the layout since I have windows all around the perimeter.  I also wasn't sure about the distance that it would pick up being that far away from the stairs (approx 20-25 feet maybe)?

Also, I do not foresee needing a "pet immune" motion.  I believe out of the two link's I provided, the IS2535 is pretty close if not the same motion I currently have.  From what I can tell by looking at my current motion the red light going on / off upon detecting motion is pretty much the same detector and it works fairly well.

Can I wire this is on the same zone as another motion detector?  What gauge wire should I use...I am assuming 22/4 because it's a relatively short run (less than 75 feet).  Solid or Stranded?

Thanks.....

I would put the motion on the other side of the panel (left hand side of your drawing). Protect the panel.

Would not put the detector on a shared zone. Not a great idea. 22/4 is fine

All-

Just have a quick wireless transmitter question, does each transmitter count towards one zone?  For instance, if I have two windows in my bedroom and put a wireless transmitter on each window would one window be Zone 9 and the other window be Zone 10?  I assume there is no way to combine onto one zone like you can wired contacts?

Thanks...sorry for the silly question!

vacationer said:
All-

Just have a quick wireless transmitter question, does each transmitter count towards one zone?  For instance, if I have two windows in my bedroom and put a wireless transmitter on each window would one window be Zone 9 and the other window be Zone 10?  I assume there is no way to combine onto one zone like you can wired contacts?

Thanks...sorry for the silly question!

It's not a silly question! 

Yes, each wireless transmitter is a single zone, with no way to combine them.  The wireless receivers can handle up to 144 zones, so you have plenty to play with.

Some sensors, like the Elk 6022 or Honeywell 5816 take up multiple zones, since they have inputs for one or more wired zones on the sensor.

RAL said:

Yes, each wireless transmitter is a single zone, with no way to combine them.  The wireless receivers can handle up to 144 zones, so you have plenty to play with.

Some sensors, like the Elk 6022 or Honeywell 5816 take up multiple zones, since they have inputs for one or more wired zones on the sensor.
Thanks RAL for the response....

Just wanted to clarify the 144 zones comment...everything I am reading says the 20P is limited to (40) wireless transmitters:  https://www.alarmgrid.com/faq/how-many-wireless-transmitters-can-a-honeywell-vista-20p-security-system-support

Even though in my case the 6160RF has the built in wireless receiver (5881ENH) which technically supports an unlimited number of wireless zones, you are still limited by the alarm control panel itself:  https://www.alarmgrid.com/faq/does-the-honeywell-vista-20p-have-48-wireless-zones

Am I interpreting this correctly or am I missing something?

vacationer said:

Just wanted to clarify the 144 zones comment...everything I am reading says the 20P is limited to (40) wireless transmitters:  https://www.alarmgrid.com/faq/how-many-wireless-transmitters-can-a-honeywell-vista-20p-security-system-support

Even though in my case the 6160RF has the built in wireless receiver (5881ENH) which technically supports an unlimited number of wireless zones, you are still limited by the alarm control panel itself:  https://www.alarmgrid.com/faq/does-the-honeywell-vista-20p-have-48-wireless-zones

Oops, my mistake.  I was thinking about the Elk M1G rather than the Vista.

vacationer said:

Not true.

The panel will support 56 wireless zones (although the "documented" practice is 40 RF zones and 16 zones reserved for keyfobs, but they can be reprogrammed with no foul).

RAL said:

@RAL,

Also, not completely true.....the Vistas (and others) only take up multiple zones if you have the ESN and loop enabled in multiple areas. Items, like the tamper, don't count towards the total. The device *CAN* be learned into multiple zones (different loops) but typically not a best practice or recommended.

This is coming from someone with 13 years of putting in Vistas exclusively with an average RF install of 20-30 points.

@DEL, thanks for teaching me something new. 

At the time I answered the question, I was thinking it was in regards to an M1 rather than the Vista  for some reason.  Hence the 144 zones.

RAL said:
@DEL, thanks for teaching me something new. 

At the time I answered the question, I was thinking it was in regards to an M1 rather than the Vista  for some reason.  Hence the 144 zones.
No worries.

Ademco (now Honeywell) official answer for the zones is true, but there's the limitations based on hardwired zones, but RF is the oddball. They won't officially acknowledge it, but teh ZT's and RC's can be changed and the panel will support the 8 on board and 56 RF. Rules out any fobs other than 3rd party (Streetsmart or local RF KP programming). Same with the requirement that loop 4 must be learned on all fobs.

Back