Assistance w/replacing older Brinks with new DIY installation?

RAL said:
3. You can connect the green and white wire from the motion detector to the zone inputs either way.  It has no polarity since it is just a relay contact.  It's a good idea to follow a convention about which wire you connect to the "Hi" and "Lo" terminals and be consistent from one device to another.  I like to connect green to the "Lo" terminal, since it is the ground reference and makes it easy for me to remember since in AC wiring, green is also ground. 
Just so we are clear, the red and black wires would connect up to the same screw terminals as the keypads I believe 4 and 5 to get power.  Then the green to Lo and white to Hi (since green can also be negative in regards to AC wiring)?  If this is the case, it looks like I will have 4 wires on each screw terminal 4 and 5 (2 keypads, motion, and the EVL-3 (possibly even the smoke too....)?
RAL said:
5. The EVL-3 can be mounted in the enclosure with the 20P if you have room.  It connects up just like a key pad to the same terminals on the 20P.
I saw a video on mounting the EVL in the panel but it was for a DSC panel and the can had holes in the side where the white pop in screw things go in the side and the EVL attaches to it.  I don't see any holes on the side of my can to mount the EVL to.  Maybe I am missing something...which is very possible.
RAL said:
To arm the system without using a function key, you enter the security code and then press the number key that corresponds to the armed mode you want.  For example,  1234 followed by 2 would arm the system in Away mode, since the 2 key is also labeled as "Away."
Any idea what number key would give me an "instant on" affect instead of the away with the 60 second countdown....that way you don't have to wait for arming...basically happens immediately.

vacationer said:
Just so we are clear, the red and black wires would connect up to the same screw terminals as the keypads I believe 4 and 5 to get power.  Then the green to Lo and white to Hi (since green can also be negative in regards to AC wiring)?  If this is the case, it looks like I will have 4 wires on each screw terminal 4 and 5 (2 keypads, motion, and the EVL-3 (possibly even the smoke too....)?

Yes, you get the power for the motion detectors from screw terminals 4 and 5, where the keypad red/black wires connect.   You can't properly fit more than 2 wires under the screw terminal and make a good, solid connection.  This is a place where you need to use a short pigtail wire to connect to the screw terminal, with the other end going to a wire nut where you twist it together with all the other wires from the keypads and motion detectors together. 

You can connect the green and yellow wires from the motion detector to the zone terminals either way. The Lo terminal has nothing to do with the AC electrical system ground.  I just use the "green is ground" rule to help me remember a consistent method for wiring things.

vacationer said:
I saw a video on mounting the EVL in the panel but it was for a DSC panel and the can had holes in the side where the white pop in screw things go in the side and the EVL attaches to it.  I don't see any holes on the side of my can to mount the EVL to.  Maybe I am missing something...which is very possible.

You could drill some mounting holes in the side of the enclosure to allow you to mount the EVL board on standoffs.  The easier thing to do is to use double-sided foam tape to stick the board to the enclosure.  I think the EVL-3 includes a piece of double-sided tape in the package for this purpose.  Otherwise, you can find some at Home Depot or Lowes.

vacationer said:
Any idea what number key would give me an "instant on" affect instead of the away with the 60 second countdown....that way you don't have to wait for arming...basically happens immediately.

If you are arming in away mode, you usually need some time to exit the house before you want the system to arm itself. You can change the exit delay in one of the system setup fields (*34).  But if you set it to zero, and a door is open, the alarm will sound immediately.

If you want to stay in the house and arm just the perimeter zones, that's what Stay mode is for.

RAL said:
Yes, you get the power for the motion detectors from screw terminals 4 and 5, where the keypad red/black wires connect.   You can't properly fit more than 2 wires under the screw terminal and make a good, solid connection.  This is a place where you need to use a short pigtail wire to connect to the screw terminal, with the other end going to a wire nut where you twist it together with all the other wires from the keypads and motion detectors together. 

You can connect the green and yellow wires from the motion detector to the zone terminals either way. The Lo terminal has nothing to do with the AC electrical system ground.  I just use the "green is ground" rule to help me remember a consistent method for wiring things.
RAL-  Thx for the detailed explanation.  Just another quick ? regarding the motion detector hook-up (promise last question)....should I or is it necessary for me to take off the cover of the actual motion detector device to see what inputs the green and white wires are hooked up to so I can match that on the panel in regards to the Hi / Lo terminals or is that not really necessary?  I just didn't know if they needed to match up on both ends or not being the wires are used for "relays".

Thanks....

vacationer said:
RAL-  Thx for the detailed explanation.  Just another quick ? regarding the motion detector hook-up (promise last question)....should I or is it necessary for me to take off the cover of the actual motion detector device to see what inputs the green and white wires are hooked up to so I can match that on the panel in regards to the Hi / Lo terminals or is that not really necessary?  I just didn't know if they needed to match up on both ends or not being the wires are used for "relays".

Thanks....

No need to check the wiring on the motion detector in your case.  If they had EOL resistors installed, the preferred wiring would be to connect the wire that goes to the EOL to the Lo terminal on the panel.  But since you have no EOLs, it doesn't matter.

RAL said:
If you are arming in away mode, you usually need some time to exit the house before you want the system to arm itself. You can change the exit delay in one of the system setup fields (*34).  But if you set it to zero, and a door is open, the alarm will sound immediately.

If you want to stay in the house and arm just the perimeter zones, that's what Stay mode is for.
Hoping someone can explain to me the differences between the arming modes "Away" and "Stay" versus what I already know:

Away:  Arms the system and gives you whatever the specified time is to exit the door as long as it's programmed Zone type 1 "Entry/Exit".  This also activates motion sensors as long as the alarm senses that you open and close one of the set entry and exit doors (thinking that you left the residence).

Stay:  Arms the system immediately and turns off the motion sensors because it knows that if you selected "Stay" odds are you are going to be walking around the house and it does not want you to set off the motion detectors. 

So my question is this:  on the old alarm system I could do something like "Instant On" and that would activate the alarm immediately as if you were staying inside the house and also that included the motion detectors as well.  This was helpful if you have a motion detector facing an stairway leading upstairs to the bedrooms in case while you were sleeping it would go off if someone was coming up the stairs.  How do I set the alarm to do "Stay" but with the motion detectors on?  So if we are in bed we will be notified if someone breaks in and is heading up the stairs...?

vacationer said:
Hoping someone can explain to me the differences between the arming modes "Away" and "Stay" versus what I already know:

Away:  Arms the system and gives you whatever the specified time is to exit the door as long as it's programmed Zone type 1 "Entry/Exit".  This also activates motion sensors as long as the alarm senses that you open and close one of the set entry and exit doors (thinking that you left the residence).

Stay:  Arms the system immediately and turns off the motion sensors because it knows that if you selected "Stay" odds are you are going to be walking around the house and it does not want you to set off the motion detectors. 

So my question is this:  on the old alarm system I could do something like "Instant On" and that would activate the alarm immediately as if you were staying inside the house and also that included the motion detectors as well.  This was helpful if you have a motion detector facing an stairway leading upstairs to the bedrooms in case while you were sleeping it would go off if someone was coming up the stairs.  How do I set the alarm to do "Stay" but with the motion detectors on?  So if we are in bed we will be notified if someone breaks in and is heading up the stairs...?

There are a couple of ways you can handle this.

One way would be to define the motion detectors that you want to be active while you are at home as a perimeter zone (zone type 03).  That will treat them the same as a window contact and trigger the alarm instantly, even in stay mode. 

But the Vista actually has two stay modes:  Stay and Night Stay.  In normal Stay mode, all the interior zones, like the motion detectors, are bypassed.  But in Night Stay mode, it will activate certain interior zones, such as the motion detector on the stairs, but leave the others bypassed.

For the zones that you want to be active in Night Stay mode, you add them to Zone List 5.  You build the zone list using Menu Mode *81.

You arm the system for Night Stay mode by entering the security code, followed by pressing the Stay key (key 3) twice.  Or, you can set a function key to arm Night Stay mode.  You could also set a function key for Step Arming that will sequence through Stay, Night Stay and Away modes for each time you press the function key.

vacationer said:

You'd disable auto-stay feature (think *84 or *86 from memory).

MAX is the way to arm then. Normally not recommended, but arms entire system, no entry delay. (CODE + 4)

INSTANT is the same as STAY but no entry delay. (CODE + 7_

You could also add a ZL of NIGHT STAY zones if you truly wanted to.

Setting a motion as a perimeter zone or E/E zone wouldn't normally be SOP.

BTW, I recommend setting *197 to a 1.

RAL said:
There are a couple of ways you can handle this.

One way would be to define the motion detectors that you want to be active while you are at home as a perimeter zone (zone type 03).  That will treat them the same as a window contact and trigger the alarm instantly, even in stay mode. 

But the Vista actually has two stay modes:  Stay and Night Stay.  In normal Stay mode, all the interior zones, like the motion detectors, are bypassed.  But in Night Stay mode, it will activate certain interior zones, such as the motion detector on the stairs, but leave the others bypassed.

For the zones that you want to be active in Night Stay mode, you add them to Zone List 5.  You build the zone list using Menu Mode *81.

You arm the system for Night Stay mode by entering the security code, followed by pressing the Stay key (key 3) twice.  Or, you can set a function key to arm Night Stay mode.  You could also set a function key for Step Arming that will sequence through Stay, Night Stay and Away modes for each time you press the function key.

DELInstallations said:
You'd disable auto-stay feature (think *84 or *86 from memory).

MAX is the way to arm then. Normally not recommended, but arms entire system, no entry delay. (CODE + 4)

INSTANT is the same as STAY but no entry delay. (CODE + 7_

You could also add a ZL of NIGHT STAY zones if you truly wanted to.

Setting a motion as a perimeter zone or E/E zone wouldn't normally be SOP.

BTW, I recommend setting *197 to a 1.

All, just wanted to report back.  I think I am down to setting up a zone list for the motion to be on while in Night Stay mode.  Reason being is none of the options I have tried thus far enable the motion while the alarm is on.  Of course I know that Stay will not do it but I also tried MAX and INSTANT and nothing works.  The only way I can get the motion to trip or go off is if I set the alarm to AWAY and open/close the entry door and then go up the stairs....works like a charm.  Everything else is a no go.

I guess I could always disable the auto-stay feature but that is a nice option to turn on if for some reason you set for AWAY by mistake and then it would change to STAY.

I guess I am down to Zone Listing.....

vacationer said:
All, just wanted to report back.  I think I am down to setting up a zone list for the motion to be on while in Night Stay mode.  Reason being is none of the options I have tried thus far enable the motion while the alarm is on.  Of course I know that Stay will not do it but I also tried MAX and INSTANT and nothing works.  The only way I can get the motion to trip or go off is if I set the alarm to AWAY and open/close the entry door and then go up the stairs....works like a charm.  Everything else is a no go.

I guess I could always disable the auto-stay feature but that is a nice option to turn on if for some reason you set for AWAY by mistake and then it would change to STAY.

I guess I am down to Zone Listing.....

Change *84 to a 0.

Also recommend changing *197 to a 1

DELInstallations said:
Change *84 to a 0.

Also recommend changing *197 to a 1
DEL-

I changed *84 (Auto Stay) to off as you stated.  This works fine and dandy and I set it successfully last night and it stayed to Away as designed.  Of course I woke up this morning and thought to myself, hey I just set the alarm to Away last night so that would have given someone 60 secs before the alarm even went off if they would have broken into one of the two entry / exit doors (due to the entry delay)....not good!

I am not sure why MAX is not working as intended since it is supposed to arm perimeter and interior zones?

Looks like I am down to setting up Zone List 5 for Night Stay and adding in the motion detector zone to that list so it will be active when initiated.

And I did change *197 to a 1 for the countdown interval to 1 second.

I would look at your zone definitions.

Max has an exit delay but no entry delay.

Unless they made a change for SIA that doesn't allow it, but I haven't seen documentation to support that.

What do you have the motion programmed as?

DELInstallations said:
I would look at your zone definitions.

Max has an exit delay but no entry delay.

Unless they made a change for SIA that doesn't allow it, but I haven't seen documentation to support that.

What do you have the motion programmed as?
Motion programmed on Zone 2:  ZT 4 / P 1 / RC 00 / HW NC / RT 1

That should arm with no entry delay MAX, and then have no entry delay on the other armed modes.

So when you arm the system to MAX does the system say armed to that level? Code+4?

DELInstallations said:
That should arm with no entry delay MAX, and then have no entry delay on the other armed modes.

So when you arm the system to MAX does the system say armed to that level? Code+4?
DEL-

I just tried the MAX setting again and motion is now working.  I don't know why it was not working before as I referenced in my post above.  The only things I have done since that post where I said it was not working was turned off auto stay and set up a zone list for Night Stay.  I know those things have nothing to do with it but just saying....weird.

All-

I have everything up and basically running to when I had the Brinks alarm installed.  I would call it a successful install up to this point and just wanted to give a special thanks to both RAL and DEL for all the support and assistance along the way.

The only thing I really would like to get done is add another motion down in my basement for the basement stairs.  I will attach a pic and wanted to bounce the "proposed" location off of those on this forum with more experience to ensure it is adequate.  I have read that motions can be affected by sunlight but the basement windows do not have that much light coming in so I think it should be fine in that respect.  You can see in the pic that I have a red box / square painted in the planned location which should in my mind at least catch someone going up the stairs to the left of the pic.

The two I am looking at buying are:

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Security-IS2535-Selectable-Detector/dp/B003V16M6G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1473169267&sr=8-3&keywords=honeywell+pir

or

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-IS3035-Motion-Detector-foot/dp/B00N85K9RS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1473169267&sr=8-2&keywords=honeywell+pir

The only difference that I can tell is that one is "pet immune"?  Any thoughts or suggestions on this....

Also since the location is only about 50 or so feet from my panel in the basement I figured I could get away with 22/4 wiring?  Does it have to be solid or can you use stranded...I wasn't sure because I saw a mix of solid and stranded wired in my existing panel.

Thanks again to everyone that has assisted along the way!

Back