Beta test a free android app for WebControl

I like the new larger buttons.

What else changed?

It would be nice to see confirmation when you turn outputs on/off that it happened.  In other words, an auto-refresh with a state change.  

I see an "auto-refresh" setting in the menu, but I don't know what the setting number means.

Also, what is "auto on/off" mean?

It supposedly fixed the temp sensor ID showing only zeros.
Developer wants to do things similar to iPad app by having auto on/off, but he did not know what the meaning of that from iPad app.
Setting the auto refresh will need to go to web browser interface and general tab, to enable polling.  Because the "general setup" page is through HTTP post directly written to the EEPROM, it is no way for app to update one field without firmware support.

Setting the auto refresh will need to go to web browser interface and general tab, to enable polling.  Because the "general setup" page is through HTTP post directly written to the EEPROM, it is no way for app to update one field without firmware support.

I am not sure what you mean.  I have the polling enabled on the webcontrol unit already and it works fine with the regular gui interface on my pc.

What number do you put in that field?  I tried 0, 1, and 100.  None seemed to do anything.

You definitely need some way for the user to see that the output successfully changed state when they hit the button without having to manually refresh.

And yes, I now have the correct temp sensor ID listed.

CAI_Support said:
If user having this little andoid device connect to the TV, it could run the app.
http://www.amazon.com/Computer-Dual-core-Android-RK3066-ownshop/dp/B009PJ3AZ4/

Latest WebControl app can be download from here:
http://www.cainetworks.com/products/webcontrol/webcontrol20130215.apk

What's new?

I installed it.  It has worked just fine, but I don't see any differences on the surface.

Are you going to be able to get it to refresh when you change output states?  It would be nice if it confirmed the output changed state and then showed you that by changing the icon.

Dr. Lou,

I was told by developer that the new version refresh the output  state change.  Are you saying that was not not updaiting the output state change?

CAI_Support said:
Dr. Lou,

I was told by developer that the new version refresh the output  state change.  Are you saying that was not not updaiting the output state change?

No,  I still have to hit the "refresh" key to get it to show the current state after I change it.  I tried putting a "0" and a "1" as the setting for "auto refresh" section.  I still don't know what that setting actually does.

The browser auto update is implemented in certain prograamming way. However, the Android app does not support that particular way the browser does. iPhone app may also support that.  I will discuss with the developer again on that. If that is useless, then he should remove it.

I did ask the developer to re-read all I/O status aftger any output change.  He told me he did in this version. Obviously,from your test,  that is still not working the way you proposed.

I'm trying on my Samsung Galaxy S2 (Sprint), last 3 versions (0130, 0206, 0215) and all I get is a white screen for 60 seconds, and then a force close. Running Android 4.0.4.

Thanks for checking it with that version app. The developer told me it should work, however, if it does not work for yours, it has a problem.  Since we don't have all version of the android pads, we do testing in android app emulators provided by android development platform.  That may be not fully compatible with all actual pads.  We will check out that.

I am just wondering, does this app need any special permissions (like being root)? My phone is not rooted, that's why I ask.

I don't think it requiring rooted device, since other people running it probably don't have rooted devices.  We scheduled to have a testing with Android emulator on 4.04 version to see if that is a problem with that version of android.  I will let you know the result.

Back