Beta test a free android app for WebControl

Thank you! Yes, it loaded no problem, and seems to work just fine. The only small issue that I spot right away is that output #4 is not working. It works from my PC (through the web GUI), but not through the Android app. I can toggle all of the other outputs in the Android app.

I do plan to post my project soon... It's a simple alarm project, that monitors inputs and sends an email / activates lights and siren, and uses a relay board off of ebay. It's all working on the bench here (even after I had an email provider cut me off because of a bug in my program :) ). I also had some simple circuit boards made that plug in to the I/O header so I could easily bring out the digital status with screw terminals, and put a 7809 voltage regulator to feed the power supply. (Have a few extras, too ;) ).

I installed it and it seems to work fine.  Ditto on the output 4.  Doesn't work.

I might suggest that when you touch on the output buttons, there is some sort of indication that it registered the finger touch, like the button blinks, then it would be nice for it to automatically execute a refresh to confirm it went through.

Thanks for the feedback!  I will pass the problem you find to developer.  RossW on this forum actually made a daughter board for directly plug on top WebControl board, that can make wiring easier.  You can find that discussion in this forum and buy from him.   I am sure your alarm project is an interesting one for many.  

Could you please let me know your hardware spec, like display pixels, the CPU type, memory of the device?
From google Android, 4.0.3 is a standard API, 4.1.2 is a standard API, but 4.0.4 is not, so that Google does not provide emulator for that version.  However, if we know the hardware spec, we can test it on 4.0.3 version Android, to see if we can see the problem.

Display: 1280x752, density 160dpi
Processor: ARMv7   rev 3 (v7L), 2 cores, max freq. 1008MHz
Memory: system RAM 687MB
Android: 4.0.4.  API level: 15

Thanks

Hi Snowfly,

We have tested in emulator for 4.0.3 API 15 and ARM processor. It is working.  When you first time run after installation, it will show a white screen on API15, it will wait for a long time due to default IP address and login information not match your WebControl. You have to let that wait. At the end, it will say something like NOT Responding, Wait more or close. Select wait more.  Then Android will give app chance to start the Device configuration screen. At that time, you can enter your WebControl's correct information.  After that, it will run smoothly.

We have found the bug on TTL Output 4. We will update the beta app soon.

snowfly said:
Display: 1280x752, density 160dpi
Processor: ARMv7   rev 3 (v7L), 2 cores, max freq. 1008MHz
Memory: system RAM 687MB
Android: 4.0.4.  API level: 15

Thanks

Hello,

This following URL is our ready to release Android app:
http://www.cainetworks.com/products/webcontrol/webcontrol.apk

There is a change from all previous version that TTLOUTPUT red color indicate OUTPUT is ON, Green means off now, opposite from previous versions.
Users can also edit the temp sensors' names.

After install this app, it may take a long time for first time running, because default configuration in the app may not match your board.  Please wait patiently and click wait if Android ask you to wait more or close.  Then you can configure the IP address, port, user name and password.  Once that is saved, it will run fast next time.

Please let us know if you have any suggestion.  If you have need to tailor this app to any special purpose, please contact us privately through email.

Have fun!

Installed without difficulty.  All 8 outputs are working now.  It still would be nice if you had some sort of acknowledgement of a successful on/off of the outputs without hitting refresh.

Thanks, Lou for your feedback.  From Android emulator, when hit output ON or OFF, it changes color from dim to bright color. However, maybe not all Android pad support that dim to active color change.  What version Android do you use?  Do you see the color difference on green and red? Maybe I can ask developer to change two color two buttons to one button two colors, that might be more visible?  Or change that active color to some other color?

CAI_Support said:
Thanks, Lou for your feedback.  From Android emulator, when hit output ON or OFF, it changes color from dim to bright color. However, maybe not all Android pad support that dim to active color change.  What version Android do you use?  Do you see the color difference on green and red? Maybe I can ask developer to change two color two buttons to one button two colors, that might be more visible?  Or change that active color to some other color?

Not sure we are talking about the same thing.  I am using my android phone.  

When you tap the button, there is no feedback at all to the user that he actually did anything.  For all you know, the app is frozen or you fat fingered it and hit the next button or missed the button all together.  It is not until after you hit "refresh" that the display changes confirming that indeed you hit the button.

Perhaps you could implement a sound effect to acknowledge that the button registered a press as well as a little blink of the button.  Then perhaps it would also automatically do a refresh.

I'll give it a go when I get home.

Any thoughts to adding the capability to work with multiple WebControls? I have one project, already have an idea for the next one - and it appears the app can only handle one unit right now. (Users... they always want more... ;) )

True.  We are discussing with developers about supporting multiple boards.  Developers think that will be a big change because database must store more board configurations. Also, how to present multiple boards on GUI is a question.  Thanks.

Back