Help expand CocoonTech ...

Make the From/Location field in the profile mandatory. We don't need their exact city & street, but many times answers could be better if we had SOME idea where somebody lived. Answers to some questions are totally different if the location is Michigan versus Florida versus Australia.

+1

That may be nice to have but just to play devils advocate I'm sure there are people that want to be completely anonymous and would not join if that was a requirement. And I though the idea was to increase membership, not potentially reduce it. Just something to consider...

That may be nice to have but just to play devils advocate I'm sure there are people that want to be completely anonymous and would not join if that was a requirement. And I though the idea was to increase membership, not potentially reduce it. Just something to consider...
If they aren't smart enough to lie or be vague about where they live and they are THAT paranoid, then I don't really expect many useful posts from them anyway. Unless CT starts demanding real names and verifies them in order to register, this seems like a trivial privacy risk.

Some forums/boards have a built-in feature that allow them gentle folks what have asked questions, to thank those other kind folks what have provided helpful answers. Tallies are kept and posted. See, for example www.smokstak.com
I see that that forum also has a nice mouse-over popup feature, which can be very handy in cases where the OP's title may be vague, or similar to others.

If they aren't smart enough to lie or be vague about where they live and they are THAT paranoid, then I don't really expect many useful posts from them anyway. Unless CT starts demanding real names and verifies them in order to register, this seems like a trivial privacy risk.
If they are going to lie then what's the point in requiring it anyway? Maybe a better option is to mention it on the signup page, something like you are encouraged to enter your location especially if you may enter questions based on geography. Just sayin...

Well lets start by requiring country..... and add an "other" box for those who wish to be left locationless.....

this may weed out some 120 vs 230 VAC problems in responses and let the city/state be optional...

the next version will have awesome Mobile support (gold members already got to test this), so I think mobile needs have been taken care of.

Dan,

You've done well with the BBS as its become very popular in the HA world due to your efforts/participants to date.

It is well worth the subscriber fee for me.

Wayne mentioned a "from / location" field concern. I agree that adding this as manditory would help.

IE: Outdoor wirless sensors and methodologies of weather protection differences in AZ, FL and IL., electrical codes (national and local differences), trades labor prices (various areas of the country), etc.

BTW - I would like to test mobile version of Cocoontech. Still in the MS Mobile world (but can drop Android on other HTC phones (starting a collection) I have).

Yesterday while sitting in a Hotel room went to my phone because it was faster than the hotel wireless. Then I tethered the wireless phone to my laptop.

Thanks for your support! :p

I'll see what I can do with the Location feature. It really does matter in many cases, but I personally hate it when sites force you to give up information. I'll have to find the right balance (e.g., maybe a tiny 1-line message in red on top of the screen until this field has been filled in), but will figure something out.

As for the mobile version, Gold Subscribers should have received an e-mail several days ago with instructions how you can access the new software. If you go to that link with your phone, then you will see the mobile version automatically (except for iPad users, they get the full version, which is something I might changed based on feedback).

I have noticed that many folks these days prefer anonymity relating to their location and other "stuff".

Redid my email settings as the email you sent most likely was discarded "accidentally".

Thanks Dan.

I have noticed that many folks these days prefer anonymity relating to their location and other "stuff".

Redid my email settings as the email you sent most likely was discarded "accidentally".

Thanks Dan.

Yeah, I'm always afraid that my messages won't get through!

--Dan (not Electron)

• Add More Content - I know you have been working towards this. Suck in more feeds from other sites, a la AVSFORUM, and work to add more original content like more how to's, video's, etc. Then upload those to youtube etc, to get your name out there.
  • Host Vendor Forums- I know you kind of got away from this, but you might also talk to some vendors about hosting their forums here. Elk is the first one that comes to mind as they have a pretty crappy forum. Smarthome's sucks too. Vendors might be willing to allow you to take over the hosting duties, they would supply someone to monitor the forum, and you win by driving more people to your site. Just a thought.
  • Sell Stuff - Lastly, sell some friggin t-shirts, coffee mugs and stuff with catchy sayings. If you need ideas on sayings maybe hold a contest...

And please see about changing your chat to HTTPS/SSL so that my work's site filter can't block it... :p

Back