Help expand CocoonTech ...

Please add the ability to unsubscribe from threads in the notification email itself. That's what CQC uses, and it's so much easier to disengage from an old thread than having to plow through the Control Panel stuff. Just one click on the email link, and you're unsubscribed.

• Add More Content - I know you have been working towards this. Suck in more feeds from other sites, a la AVSFORUM, and work to add more original content like more how to's, video's, etc. Then upload those to youtube etc, to get your name out there.
  • Host Vendor Forums- I know you kind of got away from this, but you might also talk to some vendors about hosting their forums here. Elk is the first one that comes to mind as they have a pretty crappy forum. Smarthome's sucks too. Vendors might be willing to allow you to take over the hosting duties, they would supply someone to monitor the forum, and you win by driving more people to your site. Just a thought.
  • Sell Stuff - Lastly, sell some friggin t-shirts, coffee mugs and stuff with catchy sayings. If you need ideas on sayings maybe hold a contest...

Can you give me an example of content you want featured on CT? Keep in mind I want to keep the noise level down, and want as much original content as possible. I am working on more How-Tos and YouTube videos, so we're in sync there.
As for the Vendor forums, I shut those down because they didn't add any real content, but they did take up space in the layout. Manufacturer forums such as ELK, HAI etc still exist, and can be found under the Market Place category.

CT will be selling merchandise soon, but there is a lot involved in order to get this done right, without losing money, but I am actively working on that. I do like the contest idea, so I'll get that going soon.

And please see about changing your chat to HTTPS/SSL so that my work's site filter can't block it... :)

Great suggestion, it's on my list now for the next major update, which is very soon (my top priority)!

Please add the ability to unsubscribe from threads in the notification email itself. That's what CQC uses, and it's so much easier to disengage from an old thread than having to plow through the Control Panel stuff. Just one click on the email link, and you're unsubscribed.

The problem is that the IPB software has a very tight security mechanism. Direct links don't seem to be possible, as the unsubscribe link includes an authentication key. I'll see if I can write my own plugin for this, but in the mean time, if you go to the thread in the e-mail, you can unsubscribe from the thread above the first post. A work around, but only 2 clicks, no need to dig into the control panel :p

but in the mean time, if you go to the thread in the e-mail, you can unsubscribe from the thread above the first post. A work around, but only 2 clicks, no need to dig into the control panel :p

From where? The Options dropdown? There's nothing there that I see for unsubscribe. If it's somewhere else then it is very successfully hidden! :)

As far as the vendor forums, I was actually suggesting you try and convince Elk, etc. to consider moving the forum here and/or having someone moderate it. You have the software, you have the server, and you have the audience, you might be able to offer that up, maybe even throw in some ads or something and in return they host their moderated support forum here. I understand it is tricky, and not everyone would go for it, but some vendors might consider it.

For content, video's etc... Do reviews of new hardware, software, drivers or addons, etc. The bonus there is people may send you free stuff. :p Also simple how-to videos, how to fish wire, how to wire an alarm contact, how do I use one of those crazy flexible drill bits, how to do simple tasks in different software. Since everyone here is locked in to one particular brand of technology or software, it would be nice to see what else is out there, hands-on. You may not even need to do all this yourself. Maybe approach the various vendors or individuals to contribute a dog and pony show video to help market their product. Again you have the audience, show them your server stats, they get the free marketing you get to drive up your user base. I would say video is the preferred format over text of pictures. If you have to make a video slide show out of pics and text. If you need people to provide content offer a free t-shirt or something, or give away the free stuff you get from the reviews.

And every time one of the other sections get's updated make sure you post a news item on your front page. I am sure there is a lot of content people don't know is there. I generally hit the front page and the forum new posts. If other people follow the same habits you need to drive them to your content.

Ok, so this little upgrade is turning into a full blown CocoonTech 2.5 upgrade (not 3.0 since I'm not sure if I have time to unify the look), I think you guys will be VERY happy!

how about a thumbs up/down rating for topics (or even posts). that way it can be easy to find highly rated content (sort by rating, etc). of course, that opens up the can of worms of gaming the system a la digg, but i suspect the crowd here is not a bunch of digg patriots and the topics aren't as polarizing (well, there are those homeseer posts ;) ) so i think it could work. highly rated topics can get put on the "front page" a la slickdeals.net or something like that...

That's on the list of new features, ready to go once I launch 2.5, so I think you'll be happy.

For content, video's etc... Do reviews of new hardware, software, drivers or addons, etc. The bonus there is people may send you free stuff. ;) Also simple how-to videos, how to fish wire, how to wire an alarm contact, how do I use one of those crazy flexible drill bits, how to do simple tasks in different software. Since everyone here is locked in to one particular brand of technology or software, it would be nice to see what else is out there, hands-on. You may not even need to do all this yourself. Maybe approach the various vendors or individuals to contribute a dog and pony show video to help market their product. Again you have the audience, show them your server stats, they get the free marketing you get to drive up your user base. I would say video is the preferred format over text of pictures. If you have to make a video slide show out of pics and text. If you need people to provide content offer a free t-shirt or something, or give away the free stuff you get from the reviews.

+1 on having contests for this, seems like videos going over the basics could help drive new users to the community

a pinned topic for all elk email issues :rolleyes: there must be 25-30 topics related to elk email. plus the inability to create more topics with elk/m1/m1g/m1xep and the word email in the subject ;)

Hrm - I missed the email about the mobile site... I guess it's time to fix it so my CT emails go to my regular email account, not my junk-mail account :rolleyes:

I was browsing the new lists feature the other day - and of course it's awesome that you even have that - but part of me was thinking - with an iPhone list that big, it'd be nice if I could filter based on the options I was looking for. Specifically, maybe be able to check some boxes or something to say I only want apps that can control Elk, or UPB, or things like that.

I was considering that (for now, you can just search for ELK in the description box), but I need to make sure it doesn't make things too complicated, since I would have to cover every HA topic out there.

That makes sense - it seems like it'd be a chore to maintain a full list of options. I didn't even try the search.

Back