LED doorbell push button for the M1 GOLD

I went back to installing the original 24VAC doorbell Transformer and using the two Elk circuit boards for the HAI panel connectivity. It works well.

I took apart my doorbell as it wasn't lighting up and noticed there was no light in it. Its buried in a very narrow part of the front door frame; so its really not plug n play to install another doorbell. This one though is all brass versus the old one which was plastic.

Can I add a small LED across the switch terminals on the doorbell which today is now using the 24(12)VAC transformer or am I just able to utilize a wheat germ lamp?

What would be recommended?

Thanks guys; really to me it didn't matter whether it was a converted to AC LED or incandescent light.

The whole doorbell "project" has gone full circle now; with initially disconnecting the old stuff, connecting the new stuff to the HAI OPII panel, then adding back the old legacy doorbell and two circuits such that both would work.

Guess then when the doorbell button is touched you hear the legacy doorbell, remote chimes (from OPII panel), TTS/Music, Front door cam on the TS's and most recently now its the phone CID event to tell me there is someone at the door.

A bit over kill; fun to automate.

I think LED's are DC, not AC.....

An LED is, after all, a diode. Diodes don't have a problem with AC, in fact they are used to convert AC to DC. The issue would probably be more the 24v, not the AC. The higher voltage would likely force too much current through the LED and fry it. But it will depend of course on what the diode was designed for. You might need to put a resistor in series with the LED to knock down the current. In this situation polarity would be irrelevant.

The only other issue would be if there is something else wired in series with the bulb. I doubt it, but if so it would no longer be getting AC current but rather a pulsed DC current.

You might also appreciate a slight flicker of the LED since it would be seeing pulses at 60Hz.

Which is pretty much what the Elk doorbell detector is, isn't it? ^_^

I wouldn't know. I would never waste money on something that I can do for much much cheaper, and with my own level of standards.

Some people like "we make your life easier" devices, I am happy with a relay, a socket, and a diode if needed.

@desert

Nice try being a smart guy.

But the purpose of this thread is that not ALL led doorbell work.

That's why I created the thread.. To find out which ones actually conpatible

I wouldn't know. I would never waste money on something that I can do for much much cheaper, and with my own level of standards.

Some people like "we make your life easier" devices, I am happy with a relay, a socket, and a diode if needed.

Yeah well I barely passed my EE courses by the skin of my teeth, so i'll stick with off the shelf solutions... ^_^

@desert

Nice try being a smart guy.

But the purpose of this thread is that not ALL led doorbell work.

That's why I created the thread.. To find out which ones actually conpatible

Which is why I didn't post the LMGTFY link.
That wasn't meant to be a smart ass reply. This isn't that kind of board.
I've never used one (an LED doorbell button) so I can't specifically recommend one over another, but it appears there are many options available.
Some are inexpensive enough to just try.

i just got my m1 gold and have been piecing things together nightly as i have time.
i have a wired led lighted doorbell so assuming my led doesn't get fried.. i'm curious if i can just take the 2 wires that run to the bell and re-route them down to the panel to intercept when someone presses the doorbell?
also wondering if i could run wires from the panel back to the bell and set it off from the panel using an output? there are other plans involved as well, like triggering certain actions based on if babies are sleeping (don't sound the bell) or time of day, but they're all dependent on whether or not this would work to begin with.

also i should mention that i have some basic understanding of electrical wiring and such, but am certainly not advanced.

Back