LED doorbell push button for the M1 GOLD

It really depends on where the wire from the switch goes to; if you can completely disconnect it from the transformer so there's no current going through it, then you can certainly hook that up to a zone on the M1. As for having the M1 ring the doorbell, that'd be accomplished via a simple relay hooked up where the button used to be (I'm talking in regards to the circuit wiring, not physical location).

i've never done anything with relays, i'm researching it now and hoping to better understand it so i can fully utilize the capabilities of my m1.

i just got my m1 gold and have been piecing things together nightly as i have time.
i have a wired led lighted doorbell so assuming my led doesn't get fried.. i'm curious if i can just take the 2 wires that run to the bell and re-route them down to the panel to intercept when someone presses the doorbell?
also wondering if i could run wires from the panel back to the bell and set it off from the panel using an output? there are other plans involved as well, like triggering certain actions based on if babies are sleeping (don't sound the bell) or time of day, but they're all dependent on whether or not this would work to begin with.

If you were to use the wires to the doorbell to trigger the Elk, you would need a relay. The electricity that rings the bell would also energize the relay coil and close the contacts which you would connect to an Elk zone. To do this you need to know what the voltage and AC/DC status of the doorbell wire is so that you can buy the correct relay. I am going to assume the doorbell transformer is capable of powering both a relay and the bell such that you can have both connected simultaneously (in parrallel).

Of course if you want to interupt the doorbell, then you would use an Elk relay to pass the current to the bell through such that Elk can open the relay when you don't want the bell to sound. Elk would still know that the button was pushed, but the bell wouldn't ring.

is this something i would be able to use output 3 on my m1g board to do? or would i need to buy a separate relay?
note from manual:

Out 3 - Programmable General Purpose Relay
Rated at 4Amps @ 12 - 24VDC
(Dry Contacts)

is this something i would be able to use output 3 on my m1g board to do? or would i need to buy a separate relay?
note from manual:

Out 3 - Programmable General Purpose Relay
Rated at 4Amps @ 12 - 24VDC
(Dry Contacts)

You could use that relay to interupt power to the bell when someone pushes the doorbell when the baby is sleeping.

You would still need a stand alone relay that energizes the coil using the bell's power which in turn closes the contact that is connected to an Elk zone for Elk to recognize that the button has been pushed. You may not actually need Elk to know that the button has been pushed. If all you want to do is turn off the doorbell at certain times this is not necessary. Of course, you would have no way of knowing that someone pushed button when the baby was asleep. I assume you are going to have the Elk do something else to notify you, like speak something on the speaker?

Of course all of this depends on your doorbell setup. If you have a stand alone doorbell transformer that sends power to a separate bell, this is all possible. Other setups will vary. Stand alone doorbell transformers usually have several outputs ranging from 12 to 24vac.

If you want to keep your existing doorbell and button, your best bet is just to use the Elk doorbell detector, that is what it was made for. $50 at AutomatedOutlet.

930.jpg

anyone have a good recommendation for getting started with circuits and relays? books or videos?

It's not all that complicated. Wikipedia has a nice page about relays describing the different types and how they work. Things like "throw" "poles" "dry contact" "solid state" "coil" and so on are all described. I suspect that this is all the info you will need.

The Elk doorbell dectector is a fine choice, but if all you are detecting is a single doorbell, it is a lot cheaper to buy a single relay. The Elk 930 comes with 3 detectors for telephone and 2 doorbells. If you want all three, then it is cost effective. The Elk 930 is about $50 or this single 24vac relay is $13 shipped on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Idec-RH3B-UL-Relay-24VAC-Coil-Din-Mount-/140688428182?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c1af0c96

An LED is, after all, a diode. Diodes don't have a problem with AC, in fact they are used to convert AC to DC. The issue would probably be more the 24v, not the AC. The higher voltage would likely force too much current through the LED and fry it. But it will depend of course on what the diode was designed for. You might need to put a resistor in series with the LED to knock down the current. In this situation polarity would be irrelevant.

The only other issue would be if there is something else wired in series with the bulb. I doubt it, but if so it would no longer be getting AC current but rather a pulsed DC current.

You might also appreciate a slight flicker of the LED since it would be seeing pulses at 60Hz.

Yes, there is a resistor needed to limit forward current as stated. There is also a problem with reverse voltage if run from 24VAC. LEDs are diodes but have low reverse blocking voltage and can't block 24VAC, only about 5-10V iirc. So you need to put a reverse diode or a reversed LED in parallel with it or a regular diode in series. A second reversed LED works well as in the link on converting a doorbell to LED and gives more light output.

I use the NetcallerID and plugin for HS.. It works great and is very configurable with its VBS script that lets you add whatever you want. Its how I do TTS to announce the caller (great WAF)... its also how I added the CID Log to my Nowplaying project. BSR used the same script mod with Mainlobby plugin to have the log devices for his setup. I bought an extra one just in case it gets nailed by lightning. Can't beat the price.

I also have an Edgeport 4 port and it works well. Definitely better than those RS232-USB adapters.

John

Been away, but now I'm back ready for complete m1 install..

New construction house is finalizing and at stage for alarm hookup.

@Jensen if you are still here, do you have the link for the lowes doorbell you have?

I plan to buy the led bulb you mentioned at radioshack, now need the doorbell you have.

Or any. Else got a lighted doorbell button that works with our m1?

Thanks in advance

Yes, there is a resistor needed to limit forward current as stated. There is also a problem with reverse voltage if run from 24VAC. LEDs are diodes but have low reverse blocking voltage and can't block 24VAC, only about 5-10V iirc. So you need to put a reverse diode or a reversed LED in parallel with it or a regular diode in series. A second reversed LED works well as in the link on converting a doorbell to LED and gives more light output.

Here is the easy way to do it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5mm-Yellow-12-24-VAC-DC-LED-PreWired-leads-10pcs-/260832599765?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbad59ed5

Lou, when I click on that link it seems to just take me to an offering for 5mm LEDs ($6), not a relay. Maybe they swapped links on you....

per the instructions above, it appears we need to use a wired doorbell button WITH the "grain rice" bulb, replace it with a led bulb (resolder)

(if Im correct)

--my question would be,
which doorbell button has the "long grain rice" light, that I can purchase to do the swap?

Lou, when I click on that link it seems to just take me to an offering for 5mm LEDs ($6), not a relay. Maybe they swapped links on you....

Click on the link in post 38. The link in post 41 is in reference to a different issue, a 24vac led bulb. There are kind of some parrallel threads running here.

If you just do a search on ebay "24vac relay" you will find quite a few choices. That is just one of the first ones I cam across. There is a good chance you can find a better deal if you check out the choices.

Per the OP, this was the one I purchased on amazon... Led does not light up, but push button does triggers a closed/ non closed contact, creating an event in the m1

Is it because the. Led on this button require too much power?

http://www.amazon.com/Heath-Zenith-601-SN-Recessed-Halo-Lighted/dp/B005GYLKXQ/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1334850854&sr=8-12

Back