marvell plug computer

damage / Pete,

------------------
Seeing that you both seem to know more about Linux then I do...I've installed samba in the past, it was Slackware...I remember it being torture. All the missing "stuff" I had to add in.

I must say, installing with Debian is like a dream! apt-get install <name> wow. So easy a caveman could do it!
-------------------

To the question:
I have, what I think is the RAID manager installed. So, my next step is to install samba and sharing. Then, without RAID, I was going to create a share, to make sure I knew what I was doing.

All the guides I read stated I needed to
apt-get samba and smbfs or just samba.

Then, they generally detail running smbpasswd -a <networkName>

My problem is, that command fails for me. Bash complains that it doesn't exist.

I wasn't sure (brain can't remember) how to ls for that filename. i.e. in Windows I would
"dir /s smbpasswd*.*"

Which would eventually turn up the file's location, or not.

Is there any reason you can think of that smbpasswd would not be installed with the apt-get samba and/or smbfs command?

I looked for the smbpasswd as a separate install package, and I only found python-smbpasswd, which looks like it uses the smbpasswd command anyhow.

Thanks!

--Dan

i don't use samba, but try 'apt-get install samba-common'

other debian packages for samba:
libpam-smbpass - pluggable authentication module for SMB password database
libsmbclient - shared library that allows applications to talk to SMB servers
libsmbclient-dev - libsmbclient static libraries and headers
python2.3-samba - Python bindings that allow access to various aspects of Samba
samba - a LanManager-like file and printer server for Unix
samba-common - Samba common files used by both the server and the client
samba-dbg - Samba debugging symbols
samba-doc - Samba documentation
smbclient - a LanManager-like simple client for Unix
smbfs - mount and umount commands for the smbfs (for kernels >= than 2.2.
swat - Samba Web Administration Tool
winbind - service to resolve user and group information from Windows NT ser

for searching for files, use 'find':
http://linux.die.net/man/1/find

I decided (my wife is asking me this morning) why I stayed so late last night to configure up the Seagate Pogo box.

I'm glad I read a bit. I cheated some using my office laptop / XP. (have Linux on one Netbook though).

I was looking for a microsd card and only found I had a couple of 4Gb ones laying around so I decided to go with an older IDE/USB laptop 20Gb drive I had sitting around.

1 - Formatted the drive into three partitions (Ext2 X 2 and one swap partition).
2 - connected laptop to PogoBox and used the last two hex values to find my IP address (worked) last two octets. (The cheating part) used both Putty and WinSCP to edit startup file such that Pogo wouldn't boot. (kind of going back and forth with Nano, WinSCP and Putty)
3 - backed up original OS to HD; removed HD and mirrored backup partition (Dan I can email you the image if you need it).
4 - for a time got a bit lost because of "other" non cleaned off the drive partitions hung around such that I was playing with USB partitions 5,6,7...
5 - followed the receipe that was provided in the links for Dockstar Update

I left it this morning (wee hours) with only one issue was getting portage - not sure if its my firewall (tired opening it up a bit) - but still not syncing right now....

Dan; have a look at the Samba conf file...typically two (at least for my PBO) logins one for anyone (guest) and one user/password setup....

Damage - I did a few google searches and it seems to be a problem maybe with crypto keys? Any suggestions?

ICS-DockStar etc # emerge --sync
>>> Starting rsync with rsync://67.212.64.3/gentoo-portage...
rsync: failed to connect to 67.212.64.3: Connection refused (111)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(122) [Receiver=3.0.7]
>>> Retrying...

>>> Starting retry 1 of 3 with rsync://216.194.64.133/gentoo-portage
rsync: failed to connect to 216.194.64.133: Connection refused (111)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(122) [Receiver=3.0.7]
>>> Retrying...

>>> Starting retry 2 of 3 with rsync://129.97.134.71/gentoo-portage
rsync: failed to connect to 129.97.134.71: Connection refused (111)
>>> Retrying...

>>> Starting retry 3 of 3 with rsync://208.70.246.16/gentoo-portage
rsync: failed to connect to 208.70.246.16: Connection refused (111)
>>> Exceeded PORTAGE_RSYNC_RETRIES: 3
ICS-DockStar etc #

pete, i suggested that link http://ahsoftware.de/dockstar only to disable the pogo stuff, but i used the jeff doozan script http://goo.gl/cXGh to install debian.

i got my 2 extra dockstars yesterday as well. i was a little more methodical with them this time. i connected them & my laptop to a spare router w/ dhcp enabled. the router was not connected to the rest of the network so no calling home. i looked at the connected devices on the router page to get their ips, used putty to ssh to the docks & disabled the pogo software following the first link above. then i put them on my main network, got their ips from my main router, stuck in the flash drives, partitioned them and ran the doozan script from the 2nd link above. hope that's a lot clearer than that bits i've posted throughout this thread.

Thanks Damage; will give it a try. Your instructions are "tiptop"!.

I liked that SSH / Dropbear was included in the original OS. I had to install it on my PBO and actually ran out of room; started to delete fonts etc then finally just went to using a USB dongle with symbolic links. Sometime or another have a look at this little marvel. Very small MM box with enough room for a laptop drive. HDMI, Video, Digital audio out and multiple USB ports on it. Plays everything and does a decent job of on line RSS video links.

I was so paranoid about it calling home I only connected to the laptop IP'ing the laptop to the same subnet. The posted on the forum warnings worked for me.

I do have one internal network but it's a bit of a pain to patch it over.

I utilize Smoothwall for my FW and keep a very small scope on the DHCP (/25 bits) and about 8 DHCP addresses. So it was easy to look at the DHCP log...but will make it a static address shortly. Keep track of the names and IPs of all of the devices on the network (the A.D.D. in me).

About a month ago bought a "bunch" of those little microSD "size" of the USB port dongles and was going to switch over to using that for the OS. Its so small you can't even tell its plugged. (using it now for my PBO stuff).

Pete,

Thanks for the offer about the original image. I think maybe just for posterity, it would be nice to have (what else am I going to do with the 7.5GB of space I don't use on my Gmail account?).

As for the calling home, I'm not totally convinced that there is a problem. My 1 hacked unit has called home, and I was able to get the Debian Script to install. My only hickup with the install was that I had to run the script, reboot, run a second time.

For the others, I'll probably edit the hosts file, but that's more because I'm trying hard to remember all the Linux stuff I used to know back in college (slackware forces you to learn a lot). I'm babied by this Debian stuff. But, maybe it's may age catching up to me...I'm enjoying it.

I mean, "apt-get install <name>" How sweet! It even locates all the necessary packages for you!

When I get home, I intend to try installing the packages that damage suggested, hopefully I'll figure out why I'm missing smbpasswd.

After that, time to try out RAID! I'm going to perform a linear style raid first. It seems the easiest to create and play with.

After that, I'm going to try to go for a RAID1 (I only have 2 of my USB hard drives cleaned off enough to experiment with).

I also found a site where I can get free 1GB thumbdrives. If anyone is interested, I'll PM you a link (have to get it again). You need to sign up to get a pamphlet from Yahoo! explaining about your company advertising on Yahoo!. Well, as the only "my" company consists of me doing contract work here and there, I signed up...but probably won't advertise with them. But hey, free 1GB thumbdrive (I'm now up to 7% utilization of my 7.75GB partition, so I assume I'm using ~550MB right now. If I can get the rest of samba on there, it was looking like I need to add in another 150MB of space (just for smbclient). Still enough room to fit on a 1GB drive.

I'm hoping that after I finish, I can use the trick Pete did and image my thumbdrive for the other 2, of course after I update uboot.

--Dan

About a month ago bought a "bunch" of those little microSD "size" of the USB port dongles and was going to switch over to using that for the OS. Its so small you can't even tell its plugged. (using it now for my PBO stuff).

Pete,

Considering there is a plethora of SD cards out there, I assume you just got a "high" performance one? That works well enough? Maybe I'm approaching this wrong, as I know I can get 4GB SDHC cards for $7ish and the adapters are probably $5 on www.meritline.com

Hmm...

--Dan

I only purchased the dongles but not the microsd memory cards. I have about 4-5 4-6 GB microsd cards but they are used up with different OS's from my cell phones (cooked) so it would be better just to get some new ones.

Dan, know any deals on microsd memory cards? Ah see - meritline....

BTW just trashed my Seagate.....I was paying more attention last night than this morning to what I was doing. JTAG time. I was using a 20Gb drive. Went to partition it some more (I was using SDA 5,6,7) and wanted to configure it for SDA1, 2,3. Well started the process and it looks like I wrote over the boot init files as now it just keeps hopping on and off from the network and I cannot SSH or ping anymore. How easy and fast it is to turn into a brick.

I see "Hardware Error" when I ping it. Trying a reset using the little button on the side first. Didn't work.

I don't feel like ripping it apart but do have my small JTAG mobile phone TTL to RS-232 USB adapter (easy to make Dan - its just a cell phone usb cable with the end cut off - only 3 wires - RX, TX and Ground.)

I may just start for now with the second seagate.

That happened from typing on one screen, while looking at another and paying attention to the laptop sitting to my left. (losing the multitasking ability - age I guesss).

I am hoping that the bootloader is intact.

As for the calling home, I'm not totally convinced that there is a problem. My 1 hacked unit has called home, and I was able to get the Debian Script to install. My only hickup with the install was that I had to run the script, reboot, run a second time.

after you mentioned you plugged yours in to a live network & still got ssh access, i was also wondering if phoning home doesn't cause any problems. i ran into a few posts saying it will disable ssh access via firmware download which is why i mentioned it.

BTW just trashed my Seagate.....I was paying more attention last night than this morning to what I was doing. JTAG time. I was using a 20Gb drive. Went to partition it some more (I was using SDA 5,6,7) and wanted to configure it for SDA1, 2,3. Well started the process and it looks like I wrote over the boot init files as now it just keeps hopping on and off from the network and I cannot SSH or ping anymore. How easy and fast it is to turn into a brick.

I see "Hardware Error" when I ping it. Trying a reset using the little button on the side first. Didn't work.
did you try to boot it without the drive attached?

Pete,

That reminds me, I still need to get to fixing those two routers you sent me. Time...time...time...

at least I'm not wasting my time, I've been spending loads of it with the kids. They really make everything I do worthwhile.

---------------------------

damage,

It sure did disable SSH. But, if you create an account on the mothership, you go into...advanced settings or something like that. You will see a checkbox to re-enable it. That's how I got in when I first started all this (recall I stated I couldn't ssh into the box).

--Dan

Yes,
Just Jtagged it and am able to get to the bootloader.

Scanning JFFS2 FS: ....... done.
find_inode failed for name=uboot-original-mtd0.kwb
load: Failed to find inode
### JFFS2 LOAD ERROR<0> for uboot-original-mtd0.kwb!
### JFFS2 loading 'uboot-original-mtd0.kwb' to 0x800000
find_inode failed for name=uboot-original-mtd0.kwb
load: Failed to find inode
### JFFS2 LOAD ERROR<0> for uboot-original-mtd0.kwb!
resetting ...

U-Boot 2010.09 (Oct 23 2010 - 11:49:22)
Marvell-Dockstar/Pogoplug by Jeff Doozan

SoC: Kirkwood 88F6281_A0
DRAM: 128 MiB
NAND: 256 MiB
In: serial
Out: serial
Err: serial
Net: egiga0
88E1116 Initialized on egiga0
Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0
Marvell>>

Marvell>> printenv
ethact=egiga0
bootdelay=3
baudrate=115200
mainlineLinux=yes
console=ttyS0,115200
led_init=green blinking
led_exit=green off
led_error=orange blinking
mtdparts=mtdparts=orion_nand:1M(u-boot),4M(uImage),32M(rootfs),-(data)
mtdids=nand0=orion_nand
partition=nand0,2
rescue_installed=0
rescue_set_bootargs=setenv bootargs console=$console ubi.mtd=2 root=ubi0:rootfs
ro rootfstype=ubifs $mtdparts $rescue_custom_params
rescue_bootcmd=if test $rescue_installed -eq 1; then run rescue_set_bootargs; na
nd read.e 0x800000 0x100000 0x400000; bootm 0x800000; else run pogo_bootcmd; fi
pogo_bootcmd=if fsload uboot-original-mtd0.kwb; then go 0x800200; fi
force_rescue=0
force_rescue_bootcmd=if test $force_rescue -eq 1 || ext2load usb 0:1 0x1700000 /
rescueme 1 || fatload usb 0:1 0x1700000 /rescueme.txt 1; then run rescue_bootcmd
; fi
ubifs_mtd=3
ubifs_set_bootargs=setenv bootargs console=$console ubi.mtd=$ubifs_mtd root=ubi0
:rootfs rootfstype=ubifs $mtdparts $ubifs_custom_params
ubifs_bootcmd=run ubifs_set_bootargs; if ubi part data && ubifsmount rootfs && u
bifsload 0x800000 /boot/uImage && ubifsload 0x1100000 /boot/uInitrd; then bootm
0x800000 0x1100000; fi
usb_scan=usb_scan_done=0;for scan in $usb_scan_list; do run usb_scan_$scan; if t
est $usb_scan_done -eq 0 && ext2load usb $usb 0x800000 /boot/uImage 1; then usb_
scan_done=1; echo "Found bootable drive on usb $usb"; setenv usb_device $usb; se
tenv usb_root /dev/$dev; fi; done
usb_scan_list=1 2 3 4
usb_scan_1=usb=0:1 dev=sda1
usb_scan_2=usb=1:1 dev=sdb1
usb_scan_3=usb=2:1 dev=sdc1
usb_scan_4=usb=3:1 dev=sdd1
usb_init=run usb_scan
usb_device=0:1
usb_root=/dev/sda1
usb_rootfstype=ext2
usb_rootdelay=10
usb_set_bootargs=setenv bootargs console=$console root=$usb_root rootdelay=$usb_
rootdelay rootfstype=$usb_rootfstype $mtdparts $usb_custom_params
usb_bootcmd=run usb_init; run usb_set_bootargs; run usb_boot
usb_boot=mw 0x800000 0 1; ext2load usb $usb_device 0x800000 /boot/uImage; if ext
2load usb $usb_device 0x1100000 /boot/uInitrd; then bootm 0x800000 0x1100000; el
se bootm 0x800000; fi
bootcmd=usb start; run force_rescue_bootcmd; run ubifs_bootcmd; run usb_bootcmd;
usb stop; run rescue_bootcmd; run pogo_bootcmd; reset
arcNumber=2097
stdin=serial
stdout=serial
stderr=serial
ethaddr=02:50:43:e8:52:f1

Environment size: 2261/131068 bytes
Marvell>>

This Nokia TTL/RS232 cable works well. Think it was .99 from HKG free shipping...looks like a Gb link - didn't know that...

Which port on the back or side is USB1?

Dan, good to know in case i end up getting more :)

Pete, i need to get one of those cables to put in the toolbox!

Its a Nokia eBay CA-42 (.Blue --> Rx, Red --> Tx, Orange --> GND). Cut off the part that goes to the phone and strip the end. You will see three wires. Its self powered and comes up as a Prolfic USB-to-Serial Comm port.

I've now used this cable on my PBO, Foscam and Seagate. I am glad I didn't need to solder on the JTAG connection (I had to do this with the Foscam). I am using an old PC CDROM cable with a small 4 pin connector on the end of it.

Have to do some errands....will be back...

Back