marvell plug computer

I still need to get to fixing those two routers you sent me. Time...time...time...

Dan, I never even tried JTAGing those routers as it was easier at the time just to buy new ones. Kind of switched now over to Asus and Buffalo routers but still have a couple of the Linksys. JTAGing and a little bit of HW tweaking you can do the same as with the Seagate plus (NAS plus) firewall, switch etc.....little miniature marvels.

BTW - I learned this stuff kind by trial by fire after bricking a new $500 cell phone.

Thanks for the offer about the original image. I think maybe just for posterity, it would be nice to have (what else am I going to do with the 7.5GB of space I don't use on my Gmail account?).

How do you upload to Gmail storage space? I've not done this before and I am aware that I have it though.

The image was done after partition and before any changes. I used Snapshot to image the three partitions (including the backup directory with all of the image files). You can use Snapshot explorer to get the backup images off of the main snapshot image.

Just read the following as I see that its not booting when resetting U-Boot.

My patches are for a version of U-Boot which was current in February 2010 and don't apply cleanly to later versions. I will change them if I will find the time to attach a JTAG adaptor for advanced playing.

I'm guessing that IPADDR and SERVERIP are both the same.

Marvell>> setenv bootcmd 'nand read.e 0xc00000 0x2500000 0x40000; go 0xc00000'
Marvell>> setenv ipaddr 192.168.244.190
Marvell>> setenv serverip 192.168.244.190
Marvell>> setenv netmask 255.255.255.128
Marvell>> saveenv
Saving Environment to NAND...
Erasing Nand...
Erasing at 0xc0000 -- 100% complete.
Writing to Nand... done
Marvell>> nc -lu 6666
Unknown command 'nc' - try 'help'
Marvell>> reset

U-Boot 2010.09 (Oct 23 2010 - 11:49:22)
Marvell-Dockstar/Pogoplug by Jeff Doozan

SoC: Kirkwood 88F6281_A0
DRAM: 128 MiB
NAND: 256 MiB
In: serial
Out: serial
Err: serial
Net: egiga0
88E1116 Initialized on egiga0
Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0

NAND read: device 0 offset 0x2500000, size 0x40000
262144 bytes read: OK
## Starting application at 0x00C00000 ...

U-Boot 2010.09 (Oct 23 2010 - 11:49:22)
Marvell-Dockstar/Pogoplug by Jeff Doozan

SoC: Kirkwood 88F6281_A0
DRAM: 128 MiB
NAND: 256 MiB
In: serial
Out: serial
Err: serial
Net: egiga0
88E1116 Initialized on egiga0
Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0

NAND read: device 0 offset 0x2500000, size 0x40000
262144 bytes read: OK
## Starting application at 0x00C00000 ...

The U-Boot is dated Oct 23 2010 so I think it'll be a brick for a bit longer. None the less its relatively easy to get to the boot-loader.

Another errand - have to run - would try to avoid bricking your Seagate pogo for a bit or at least until find out memory locations for reload....

Yes,
Just Jtagged it and am able to get to the bootloader.

This Nokia TTL/RS232 cable works well. Think it was .99 from HKG free shipping...looks like a Gb link - didn't know that...

Which port on the back or side is USB1?

Looks like I'll have to loko around ebay to get one of those cables as well. Can never find a serial cable when I need one...esp. one at TTL levels.

SDA is the "boot" port. It is the one that is by itself on the side.

--Dan

How do you upload to Gmail storage space? I've not done this before and I am aware that I have it though.

The image was done after partition and before any changes. I used Snapshot to image the three partitions (including the backup directory with all of the image files). You can use Snapshot explorer to get the backup images off of the main snapshot image.

Looks like I'll have to get one of those cables, then jtag those routers!

As for the gmail, just e-mail it as an attachment. if it's larger then 10 meg, I use 7zip and chunk it to 9.5meg files. Then when the e-mail arrives, I lable it "files" or something and hit archive.

Is snapshot explorer a linux program?

--Dan

AWESOME! That was about 5th on my list of things.
1) Run Debian
2) Get RAID packages
3) Samba
4) test raid over network
5) power savings??

Wow, had a few minutes, read through the HD-IDLE webpage. NICE!

I'm assuming due to HOW the options are laid out, after I make my RAID drive, I should be able to just call this to make ALL associated drives sleep.

I'm also noticing, I'll probably have to download, CVS, compile, then de-install (I'm hoping to image my "working" thumbdrive image to the new thumb drive...so I need to keep my install as small as possible).

--Dan

Ordering two more. Hope they have some. Also ordering some micro SD cards.

No more left. Also wrote to see if I could just send the one back to them.

Found 16Gb miniSD's at Buy dot com for around $21 each. Think I may wait now until I get the microSDs.

Its been a couple of years and the last ones were only like 4-6 GB and much more at the time.

I'm also noticing, I'll probably have to download, CVS, compile, then de-install (I'm hoping to image my "working" thumbdrive image to the new thumb drive...so I need to keep my install as small as possible).

--Dan

you won't need CVS, but you'll probably need to install make, gcc and libc6-dev if you haven't already

Looks like I'll have to get one of those cables, then jtag those routers!

As for the gmail, just e-mail it as an attachment. if it's larger then 10 meg, I use 7zip and chunk it to 9.5meg files. Then when the e-mail arrives, I lable it "files" or something and hit archive.

Is snapshot explorer a linux program?

For the cable just do an Ebay search for the Nokia ...cheap from HKG free shipping. Will email file. It is 16.5 Mb

Better yet I uploaded the image to Rapidshare. Here is the link.

You can download Drive Snapshot here. Think that its free until you want to register it. I bought and use it just about for anything. Its a Wintel program.

You really want to wait to JTAG the router. I have one brick now. It looks nice though. I was being really careful and all was looking well for a bit.

Seagate Image

Drive Snapshot web page. I use it for my W2003 servers - works great.

Drive Snapshot

SDA is the "boot" port. It is the one that is by itself on the side.

Yeah had been using the side port. There are "fancy" USB to TTL/RS-232 boards on Ebay with their own power supply etc. The Nokia cable is smaller and is insulated except for the wires.

Here's a picture of the Nokia cable and the little micro sd dongle. There are even smaller ones.

i googled for it. i saw someone had installed hamachi on the dock, so i thought i could use it as an offsite storage nas. i installed samba to test it out & found out like you did that smbpasswd wasn't in the usual packages.

Doing some reading -

My Dockstar is not really "dead" in that I still have serial access to it. I guess the 3 wire cable to the JTAG connector is just a serial connection to the Dockstar. It is not a "true" JTAG connection. My bootloader is intact. There are a huge amount of various threads relating to various projects on the Dockstar its a bit difficult to figure out what is what. When the Dockstar is totally "dead" you get no output via the serial connection. A JTAG will interrupt or stop the CPU letting you rewrite the bootloader to memory.

Last night tired a couple of TFTP's to restore the original Dockstar image, no go yet. I want to first see if I can restore to its "store bought" state then start again. I don't believe that will be an issue once I find out exactly what I have to do. Historically its either been doing a transfer of a image file or two via Hyperterminal and executing the installation of the image to the proper memory location. Its similiar using TFTP getting the image to the device then executing the installation of said image to the proper memory locations. It really should be simple and I am somehow making this more difficult.

I'm leaving the second Dockstar alone until I get the new microSD and fix the first one - it really shouldn't be that difficult.

Back