Monoprice multi-zone audio

FYI - I know a few people have complained about dead units, and I just accidently fried both of mine.

During some rewiring I accidently plugged one of my cat5 wires from the hub into my Ethernet switches. When I turned both of my amps back on only one lit up. Before I realized what I did with my wiring mistake, I switched my rj45's on both amps and the second amp then wouldn't power on.
I fixed my wring mistake, and luckily the Ethernet voltage didn't hurt any of the keypads, but I did blow a small 1.5A glass fuse located on the power supply board inside the amps.
If anyone else does the same mistake, don't worry all isn't lost, but it will cost you a trip to Radio Shack.

Regards,
Mike Pisano

Sorry to bring up such an old topic, but my googling brought me here and this is the most knowledge I've seen on this product.  Ive been using it for a few months with no keypads, just the RS-232 using an iPhone app i built.  Works good.  But I was wanting to integrate it with my Harmony home hub and the ultimate remote and iOS apps.

Any ideas the best/only way to do this?  I was originally thinking that i could hook up 1 or all of the keypads behind my rack and have the IR blaster for the harmony hub control it, but then realized that all zones would react.  Initially there was some conversation about discrete IR codes for each zone.  Did anyone ever find any?  You wouldnt be able to learn them from the remote.  I could email monoprice about the codes, but ive done that before without much luck.

hughesne, 

I think trying to do it via IR might get messy, all the keypads operate on the same codes so you would need hook up all the keypads, optically block them from each other and have different addressable emitters on each one.

You mentioned that your using RS-232 and a iPhone app. if you have rs232 working, why not try to tie into the Smart Hub yourself?
I have been thinking about writing a link into the Harmony, but lI never like the fact that everything is tied to their cloud.

My Monoprice Amp software does have a plugin for Homeseer, which does have support for the Smart hub - might play around with that. That could even allow you to use insteon wireless\wired remotes in every room to control as well.

My software (documented earlier in this thread)is available at:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/94991518/MonoAmp.zip

Regards,
Mike Pisano

Mike,
Im actually using your software for the webapi, remember me from avsforum?  Still works great.

I didnt realize there was a way to tie 232 in the harmony hub.  Or are you referring to the insteon smart hub?

Sorry Hugh - Didn't realize it was you!

I was referring to using homeseer - which is what i use.

This entire Monoprice Amp project will load into homeseer as a plugin. Then all the Zones will popup in homeseers rule engine for doing all sorts of stuff.

Currently my house shuts all the zones off at 2am or when the Elk alarm panel arms itself, It wakes me at 7:30, puts the bathroom music on when I turn the lights on, bumps the volume 10% when I put the exhaust fan on to take a shower.....
My house is all insteon switches which makes life a bit easier, but i remember seeing that homeseer had a plugin for logitech so that might be an easy way to bridge this together for you and the app will continue to work.

I think you can download Homeseer for 30 day eval and third party plugins are free during the eval. Just copy the entire AMP folder into the Program Files\Homeseer folder and the MonoAmp HSPI will show up.

I would start by googling Homeseer SmartHub plugn and see if it will give you the features your looking for.

If you have any problems let me know.

Regards,
Mike Pisano

I set it up using RS232 and integrated it nicely into my HA system via using On Controls as my remote controller. This si a very powerful controller system that controls all my devices whether they be ethernet, IR, Z-Wave or RS232 controlled. Plus I use IOS and Android devices as remotes. You might take a look at this.

Hi Mike,

I'm using your monoamp software and it's just great. I've been trying to track you down since I started using it just to say thank-you! I was hoping to get in touch with you through this forum. You've mentioned that email is the best way to reach you regarding the software, but I can't seem to find you email address.

Anyway, THANK-YOU for developing this software. Before I found it I started to implement something myself..... but it was harder than expected! ;)

I was also hoping to convince you to store a few "presets" that could be easily enabled via the UIs. i.e. Certain rooms at certain volume levels all on/off with one button. I can think of having at least 3 different presets for my house. i.e. normal listening, party, all outdoor speakers, etc....

Best regards,
Mike.

Hi Mike,

Glad your enjoying the software!
Sorry your having trouble reaching me privately - email me at [email protected]

I like your Suggestion, The software maintains a "Current" Directory that is used to reset the amp if a power fail occurs.
I could very easily create alternate subs to be used as presets and allow you to call them via the API.

I'm in the middle of creating "Groups" so you can link Multiple Zones together, when this feature is stabilized I will have a look at your request.

Regards,
Mike Pisano

Hi Mike!

I totally didn't realize that you had responded! So glad that you did! :)

A "Groups" feature was on my mind as well, so it's great that you're already working on it. If you need any help with testing, etc, I'd be glad to help.

I'll give you a buzz at the email you provided in the last post.

Best regards,
Mike.

Just received my two Monoprice matrix-amp systems.  I'm actually pleasantly surprised at the (visible) quality of the hardware.  I'lll be installing and testing soon....

One question regarding wiring topology.  The instruction manual dictates that the keypad 'wiring hub' device be no more than 4 meters from the control unit.  And then up to 200m runs are allowed to the keypads.  OK, I somewhat understand RS485 bus wiring.....

Has anyone tested a topology where the 'wiring hub' is farther from the controller??  My equipment rack is about 14m cable distance from my wiring closet.  Existing UTP Cat cables terminate in the wiring closet I'd prefer to mount a keypad 'wiring hub' in this closet.  This way I would save up to 5 UTP Cat run between the rack and closet....  (New UTP Cat runs will terminate at the equipment rack.)

From the wiring closet the UTP Cat runs are at most 50m long.  So I'd be way under on that side of the hub.

I'll test this topology, but was wondering if anyone has experimented.

Thoughts?  Thanks.

ecborgoyn said:
Just received my two Monoprice matrix-amp systems.  I'm actually pleasantly surprised at the (visible) quality of the hardware.  I'lll be installing and testing soon....

One question regarding wiring topology.  The instruction manual dictates that the keypad 'wiring hub' device be no more than 4 meters from the control unit.  And then up to 200m runs are allowed to the keypads.  OK, I somewhat understand RS485 bus wiring.....

Has anyone tested a topology where the 'wiring hub' is farther from the controller??  My equipment rack is about 14m cable distance from my wiring closet.  Existing UTP Cat cables terminate in the wiring closet I'd prefer to mount a keypad 'wiring hub' in this closet.  This way I would save up to 5 UTP Cat run between the rack and closet....  (New UTP Cat runs will terminate at the equipment rack.)

From the wiring closet the UTP Cat runs are at most 50m long.  So I'd be way under on that side of the hub.

I'll test this topology, but was wondering if anyone has experimented.

Thoughts?  Thanks.

Dose this topology work?

My setup will also involve a split between the cat5e cabling closet and the monoprice amp location by ~50 feet.  Cat5e cabling runs from my closet to to each keypad location.  All of the speaker wire runs separately to my family room (a decision made by my builder before I contemplated this whole house audio solution).  I have a spare cat5e cable from the family room to the wiring closet that I'll use to connect the Monoprice amp (family room) to the keypad hub (wiring closet), then of course each keypad run extends from the closet (approximately up to another ~60ft each).

I have a narrow window of opportunity to make changes before sheetrock goes up, so any prompt information on this from anyone who knows would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I never experimented with placing the wiring hubs far from the amp units. I ended up mounting both hubs in my rack. I only needed three zones to be patched between the rooms. Easier to place both hubs in the rack.

@mpisano

Any ideas if this would work with a iTach Flex IP and a serial cable? I'm using an iPhone app with this setup and works great. However I'm wanting to attempt to setup some IFTTT with an Amazon Echo to be able to turn on/off zones, switch sources, etc. Just trying to figure out how the API web URL calls work and it looked like your would be great but I still like the option of using this iphone app.

Link to the iPhone app developer.
http://www.tinystarship.com/home-audio/

Back