Monoprice multi-zone audio

Hi loowee,

Sorry about the lag, thanks for the private mail.

I agree on the suggestion, It's actually on my list of things to do along with loading the entire mixer as a service.

I'll send you a email when I have a new version, email me at [email protected]

Thanks,
Mike

@mpisano your mixer looks great! Was wondering if you have plans to port it over to a vera plugin?

I'm waiting to pull the trigger on this device... How has everyone liked it?  Is the sound quality decent?  In a few zones, I plan on connecting four speakers.  Based on everyone's experience, is the amp powerful enough to drive 4 8 ohm speakers, or would it be better to use the pre amp and a dedicated amplifier?  

Thanks for everyones input.  

I'm going to make a homeseer plugin first and possibly others to follow, was hoping other might use the API to create plugins for actual products.  The next release that will have an embedded HTML5 style Mixer for IOS\Android (or any browser). I was hoping between this app and the API it should be much easier for everybody to remotely control the amp via Tcp\IP.

As far as the quality, I think for the price you cant beat it. We can all debate about "Quality", but for me it's not a replacement for my living room amp or for home theater. It's more then acceptable level for music throughout the home, especially if your sources are "quality", meaning if you listening to a 64 or 128bit AAC stream, it's going to sound bad regardless. I recently played a CD via one of the sources and was shocked on how good it sounded

As far as power, it's more then enough inside I used the Yamaha NS Series In ceiling throughout and it sounds good, Now that it's finally "Warm" in NY, I'm going to work on the outside which may need a little extra juice or multiple channels or a bridge - will know soon.

Mike 

@Mike

Here have two outdoor speakers mounted on brick; in the open (direct weather, sun et al) now for some 2 years.  They still sound as good as they did when they were installed.

They face the deck and its pretty open out there.   I did though put the keypad controller inside versus outside.  I don't think that I would/will have problems with it outside though.

I do not every crank it much more than some 30% outside and the speakers sound fine.  (outdoors is outdoors).

Here using a Russound and decided on Russound outdoor speakers.  Outdoor speakers sat in a box for some 3 years before I decided to mount them outdoors. 

Personally like the option and availability of the Monoprice multizoned amp with wired speakers versus the Sonos zoned wireless speakers. 

That is my personal opinion though and maybe its an age thing relating to zoned wired speakers versus zoned wireless speakers.

@Peter

Thanks, for the info!

Agree on the wired over any wireless for speakers, although the Sonos unit is a great player. If I have to run electric, I would rather just run speaker wire. I'll probably skip the keypad on the outside too and just use my iPhone to control the monoprice amp

Regards,
Mike

Agreed too, wireless should never be a first choice for audio or video streaming.
thanks for your reply Mike, I just sent you an email and will await your revised version. Hope your plugin is available on the HS store soon so I can switch all our new clients to this setup.
The monoprice multizone distributor is an impressive beast and we can compare it to NUVO or ELAN amplifiers at all levels, quality is same or even better but price is much lower than these overpriced competitors.

iphone.png

I've updated the dropbox with a newer release of the Monoprice Amp Driver, which now selfhosts not only the JSON\XML WebApi, but also the beginnings of a JQuery client!!!
(hoping some java guru's will pitch in)

Also now the Mixer has been split into three EXE's,  There is now AmpMixer.exe, AmpServer.exe and the AmpConfig.exe

Config is common to both Mixer and Server, but Server will run as a Windows Service in the background prior to login and allow for  the Http Webserver and Tcp/IP WebApi connections to the Amp's Rs232 Port

Also in this new version are addiotional API's for Level UP and Down for all the commands to support buttons like above.

I'm going to be continuing Java Development along with Homeseer, for Now from HS you can 

&hs.GetURL("127.0.0.1","/api/Command?unit=1&channel=3&command=volume&value=30",TRUE,50231)

Additional Notes and API calls in the ReadMe file within the DropBox Zip
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/94991518/MonoAmp.zip
or 
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c1aqlz6aed9eode/MonoAmp.zip

Kind Regards,
Mike Pisano

Monoprice Amp Mixer and Service (Release Candidate 1)

Mono.png

After much testing and help from others I have finally at a point where I consider it "Close".

In the release, I have cleaned up the jQuery Code for the mobile app and a worked on better stability in the lower level amp communication routines. 

I have updated the DropBox with the newer build,  Additional Notes and API calls in the ReadMe within the Zip

https://dl.dropboxus...518/MonoAmp.zip
or 
https://www.dropbox....ode/MonoAmp.zip

Kind Regards,
Mike Pisano - [email protected]

To all users of the MonoAmp Software
I've updated my Dropbox to Version 1.1

Features Include the ability to Name the Soruces and I've switched to SignalR Libraries to keep all the Apps and Mixer levels in Sync

This will be the Last Post on Cocoon - Please Email me and I will send you future updates and locations for where it will be hosted in the future

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/94991518/MonoAmp.zip

Regards,
Mike Pisano

Hi Mike !

Long time no chat, I just tried the latest revision and I like the finition work on the mixer ;)

We just installed it on a windows8 server and for some reason, Everything works fine on Mixer or service shows as running but the amp wont respond to the changes done via mixer or Scripting.
- We are NOT running mixer and service simultaneously
- App URL ( http://127.0.0.1:50230/default.html ) shows a 503 page not found so it cant be our amp or serial port otherwise the page would still show up.
- ALL files were UNBLOCKED from the properties ( Dlls and EXEs ). We also applied full control to EVERYONE in the whole folder's properties.

Can you help me, I've checked everything and all seems fine compared to other working installations on win7.
Quesiton, what should the service be called in SERVICES.MSC once loaded ? I cant seem to find a new service running but service app shows it is.

Stramge, I actualy developed most of it on a wimdows 8 machine while making sure I was backwards compatible with windows 7 and XP

I would try running the Mixer as an admin process first. The Mixer Service loader will run as a process, or install the service which should be under Monoprice Amp.

The way that the mixer fits into the Http Pipeline requires the config tool to register the neccessary ports withi
n the http namespace. I include a httpnamespace tool to help manually configure the ports if the config tool fails, or one moves the XML config from one machine to another.  Try running the config tool and change the port and exit, then put it back to 50230, else look at the HttpNamespace.exe to confirm the ports are registered and shut down the firewall and any antivirus to test.

Also,

I have a newer version that uses newer Owin drivers for the web service and IIS protocols. I initially used older XP compatible libraries, but I recently ported this project to Raspberry PI under Mono (and Homeseer Plugin in Alpha) and needed the newer libs.

if it still isnt working email me at [email protected] and I will send you the newer build and call you.

Regards,
Mike

Hi Mike !

Im still working on that, just noticed your post, thx !

Actually, I noticed I get a 503 error when loading the URL on the App shortcut.
Tried changing the ports and setting them back but no luck.
Http namespace shows correct settings.
Events dont show any errors.
Using last release you posted in august but tried previous version I has on a USB drive and same result so I doubt its related to the revision.

It's very late here so I wont be reachable tonight but I'll send you an email for the Owin version and I'll get on it first thing in the morning, which time zone are you in ?
Thanks again !

Got it working !
I sent you an email, cant insert pictures or links on this forum since last update ;)

I searched but couldnt find here or on monoprice's site.  I wanted to see if anyone had any pictures of the back of the keypads?  I wanted to see if there were 2 RJ45 connectors so I could add a volume control to another room on the same zone?

Thanks!

Back