Monoprice multi-zone audio

Any new info?  Photos?  Test continuity between expansion connectors and input/pre-out RCAs?  Locate transceiver ICs on keypads?

I've been in touch with the McLellan manufacturer in Taiwan. Their actual factory is in Shenzhen.Their MAP1200DH is same as monoprice, with one exception. Zone 6 does NOT have an OPT input. Other than this, they are identical. 

I am working with them now to consider adding a 3.5mm jack on the keypads so one can plug in a mobile device as a source. They are having the engineer look into it now. BUT, Chinese New Year is starting, so I expect a delay before I hear back from them. This mod should be simple to implement. We will see.

I'm ready to jump on 3 of these units if they will do the mod. Since I live in CHina, I would buy direct from the factory in Shenzhen. My price quoted is much less than monoprice...duh. I won't say their quote, as they are also giving me a dealer account.

bucko said:
I've been in touch with the McLellan manufacturer in Taiwan. Their actual factory is in Shenzhen.Their MAP1200DH is same as monoprice, with one exception. Zone 6 does NOT have an OPT input. Other than this, they are identical. 

I am working with them now to consider adding a 3.5mm jack on the keypads so one can plug in a mobile device as a source. They are having the engineer look into it now. BUT, Chinese New Year is starting, so I expect a delay before I hear back from them. This mod should be simple to implement. We will see.

I'm ready to jump on 3 of these units if they will do the mod. Since I live in CHina, I would buy direct from the factory in Shenzhen. My price quoted is much less than monoprice...duh. I won't say their quote, as they are also giving me a dealer account.

Interesting.  Although, I'm not sure how they would do this since only 2 of the keypads on the hub have all 8 wires to them.  The other 4 only have 4 wires connected.  They would need to redesign the hub.  Also, I'm assuming the two that use all 8 wires are because it's RS-485 and they are doing the other 4 wires as a return or something.

It would be sweet if this happened though.  I'd actually like to see intercom functionality built into the keypad also.

In any case, I've been extremely busy, so I haven't had time to open anything up and take a look, beyond peeking through the holes on the top of it.  I won't get a chance until probably the end of the week.

Here is the MAP 1200 keypad....

Attachments

• MAP-1200HD's KP2 Ft.jpg
    MAP-1200HD's KP2 Ft.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 89
  • MAP-1200HD's KP2 R.jpg
    MAP-1200HD's KP2 R.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 78
az1324 said:
Didn't you mention that factor was coming out with intercom functionality?  Or was that not using the keypads?

Pics of keypad assembly and hub would be a good start before you get around to opening up the amp.

Only pics I've seen are here:  http://www.radioparts.com.au/ProductDisplay.aspx?Product=01618940

That's not with the keypad.  It's using a separate device that plugs into the zone 1 input and the paging trigger.

I purchased one last week and played with it over the weekend, Unfortunately Channels 1&2 were somewhat linked where they both needed to be On or neither would play. I readdressed the kepads to 3 & 4 and moved the speaker wires over and all is perfect. I spoke to Monoprice and they sent me an RMA for the unit. (very satisfied with their customer service)

Meanwhile, I loved it so much (both for feature and price) I purchased a second unit since I really need more then 6 zones, and really didnt want to uninstall all the keypads to cross ship a new one.

As a programmer, I also decided to write a RS232 driver for the AMP - if anybody has any interest, or wants to test it's below. I Might open source it after it's tested a bit more.....

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/94991518/MonoAmp.zip

Feel free to ask any questions

Regards,
Mike

I ordered the MAP-1200HD from the factory in Shenzhen. It will arrive in a few days. Once I jump into install, I will report my findings.

Newer Version of the driver assembly, Test and a new Mixer app for anybody Following\testing my Monoprice Amp app

(Same Link)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/94991518/MonoAmp.zip

Additions to the driver include
1) Performance and Stability (dupe command eliminated from pending queue)
2) Ability to pass UI Thread to eliminate Cross thread issues.
3) Preserving Keypad settings so driver can put back after power fail.

Once it stabilizes, will move towards Homeseer

Regards,
Mike

Hey Mike, I could really use some help writing the script for control through rs232. Any chance you could help me out? I am wanting to use roomieremote as I have other devices controlled by it at this time.
Also, is it possible to load the "preserving keypad settings" into the system without having it connected to a control device at all times? I have another friend that has one of these units that wants to fix that problem, but does not have anything connected to com port

I've been playing around with my amp and while it is working nice (except channel 2 is inop), I contacted the factory with a list of things they should change. They had asked me to do a report for them and so I believe they are open to tweaking this amp for better function especially in the HA market.

I thought I would post the report I sent to them end of March (minus my pics). I will post their response when I receive it.

"I have evaluated your MAP 1200HD and came up with the following observations. If you can work on these details, I think that with it’s price point, the MAP would find great success in the home automation market.
Overall this unit works well enough as a multi zone amp.

However I must point out some things you really need to change/add, especially for proper integration into an automated home.
1.     The amplifier unit itself needs an IR sensor so the main can accept remote IR, just like the wall controllers. It is very important IR commands can be blasted to it from IR transmitters. HA systems rely on IR blaster devices such as the SQ Blaster, Global Cache GC100, ISY99 , iTach Flex, and Kira IR to operate amps, HDMI switchers, media players, etc at the same time.  Currently the MAP 1200 is limited to only serial control. You need to have the MAP play well with the other equipment in a server room environment.  
This could also be done by adding another address assignment (7) for the keypad which would transmit codes to all zone address 1-6. You just have to make a firmware change. Then this keypad with assigned address 7 could be mounted in the server room to control keypads 1-6.
2.     There should be an 'All On' command available that will allow you to turn all the zones on via the hand remote using IR codes. This function should not be limited to just a 12vdc trigger. Each controller should be able to turn the other zones off/on. I should not have to run around to different rooms to do this function.  

3.     The wall controller's pc board needs to be cut smaller. This is a big problem as it has only a tiny clearance with the sides of the j-box. The fit is too tight. I had to cut off the PVC fittings in 3 out of 4 j-boxes so the controller would seat inside. The controller PCB should be small enough to allow some “wriggle room” and space for these conduit fittings and cut outs. You can see the picture.
4.         The control pad needs a foam seal behind it to seal light leaking out from the sides.
5.         Why is the RJ 45 plug up side down on the control???  After a wire is plugged in, the locking tab cannot be reached to take the plug back out! This is a bad oversight.

[SIZE=10pt]6.         The front panel LED's on the amp are just not correct. On standby they should be red. If active then blue. The colors you use now (blue and light blue) are hard to see and confusing what they mean. In any case, they should be 2 different colors. To take it a step further even have a dim or bright button to set their level. I think they are too bright but it is located in my server room so for me it is ok.

7.         The hand remote range is really not usable. I get a max of 2 meters. This should be at least 6 meters."[/SIZE]

Hi Mike !

Your API is a very usefull tool and it works flawlessly !
The only problem we have controlling it trough homeseer is with system reboots, it asks for a com port number at startup and there does not seem to be any save option for a windows startup automated process.

I tried the port management utility and it seemed to have worked but the API wont work without the amp mixer loaded.

Any idea ? thank you !

Back