New HAI Omni Pro 2 system and need help

10Seconds

Ok, so I am new to home automation, I got a HAI Omni Pro 2 system and so far have the alarm working with 2 keypads. (the alarm contractor did this, not me). I am wanting to add some features, specifically: a couple of touchscreens, theromostat control (I have 3 zones) some lighting control (through UPB), and some security cameras, which I want to be IP based so I can view them from the touchscreens, and from the web, or my iphone. Please forgive me if this is all old news to you guys. I did search "HAI" but got no results.

So more specifically:

1. Do I need to buy all HAI 5.7e touch screens for the best result, or would something else work?

2. I know HAI makes cameras and a server (HAI Camera Server HA87A001), but do I have to use this, it only allows for 4 cameras, so do I have to buy multiple ones of these or what? Do I need to use HAI's cameras, or does it really matter?

3. I am going to be controlling some florescent lights, the 4-ft kind, not the compact bulbs, so will reg non-dimmer switches work or do I need to use the 15a relay switch.

4. Anything else I am overlooking, or features I should be adding now? I want to add audio to the system too, I already have an Elan s6 system for that, but I guess that cannot work with the Omni pro 2? So should I just keep them separate or what.

Thanks for any help.

Ok, so I am new to home automation, I got a HAI Omni Pro 2 system and so far have the alarm working with 2 keypads. (the alarm contractor did this, not me). I am wanting to add some features, specifically: a couple of touchscreens, theromostat control (I have 3 zones) some lighting control (through UPB), and some security cameras, which I want to be IP based so I can view them from the touchscreens, and from the web, or my iphone. Please forgive me if this is all old news to you guys. I did search "HAI" but got no results.
Welcome to CocoonTech!

So more specifically:

1. Do I need to buy all HAI 5.7e touch screens for the best result, or would something else work?
Depends on what you want for your final product, the customization ability in the 5.7e is phenomenal!

2. I know HAI makes cameras and a server (HAI Camera Server HA87A001), but do I have to use this, it only allows for 4 cameras, so do I have to buy multiple ones of these or what? Do I need to use HAI's cameras, or does it really matter?
That is correct, if you want more than 4 cameras, you will need multiple camera servers. You can however use just about any camera you want as long as it is an analog camera.

3. I am going to be controlling some florescent lights, the 4-ft kind, not the compact bulbs, so will reg non-dimmer switches work or do I need to use the 15a relay switch.
Non dimming switches will work just fine.

4. Anything else I am overlooking, or features I should be adding now? I want to add audio to the system too, I already have an Elan s6 system for that, but I guess that cannot work with the Omni pro 2? So should I just keep them separate or what.
I have used both the NuVo and the Russound with the OP2, and both work great! As a matter of fact, I just finished integrating the 10p touch screen with the NuVo here at the office using the 93A00-1 serial server. Works great!

Thanks for any help.

I want to add audio to the system too, I already have an Elan s6 system for that, but I guess that cannot work with the Omni pro 2? So should I just keep them separate or what.

There's a list of systems that HAI has direct support for, and other people have gotten other systems to work using the serial links and various protocols. Don't forget that if you want the OPII to be able to inject audio into an audio system (to do voice announcements, etc.) you need to get the audio expansion board.

There's a list of systems that HAI has direct support for, and other people have gotten other systems to work using the serial links and various protocols. Don't forget that if you want the OPII to be able to inject audio into an audio system (to do voice announcements, etc.) you need to get the audio expansion board.

Thanks, thats the sort of info I need. Had no clue on the expansion board. I did look at HAI's site and see the connectivity partners, and Elan is listed, but it doesn't say for example if there is 2 way communication or metadata available to the HAI screen.

That is correct, if you want more than 4 cameras, you will need multiple camera servers. You can however use just about any camera you want as long as it is an analog camera.

Brandon is right if you go the analog route on cameras. However, another option is to go with IP cameras. IP cameras are just another device on your network and you do not need a camera server. Can easily view them on any computer in your network. Although IP cameras are typically a bit more expensive than analog cameras up front, you avoid cost in other areas such as the server. I run 5 Panasonic IP cameras in my network and will be adding more. I also have several 5.7e touchscreens I can display them on. Another hidden cost for your setup would be the need to purchase Automation Studio if you have any interest in making full use of your touchscreens.
Think of everything you need, price it out and then double that number. Might be close to what you will really need to spend. Hey...its only money ;)

Brandon is right if you go the analog route on cameras. However, another option is to go with IP cameras. IP cameras are just another device on your network and you do not need a camera server. Can easily view them on any computer in your network. Although IP cameras are typically a bit more expensive than analog cameras up front, you avoid cost in other areas such as the server. I run 5 Panasonic IP cameras in my network and will be adding more. I also have several 5.7e touchscreens I can display them on. Another hidden cost for your setup would be the need to purchase Automation Studio if you have any interest in making full use of your touchscreens.
Think of everything you need, price it out and then double that number. Might be close to what you will really need to spend. Hey...its only money ;)
Hey Paul what Panasonic cameras are you using?

CB

You really have lots of panel options. The HAI are good (and expensive) but another option is to use a wall type PC like the ones from Borg Displays and run a program like my:ro myro I've used it and its pretty cool. You could also run HAI's SnapLink on the panel with less functionality. I run Web-Link III (another HAI) product on my Windows Home Server, and any web browser, any iPhone, Blackberry, or in-wall PC with a web browser can access that. And you can run the HAI Windows Media Center plugin to access your system on your TV. Or going up in cost and complexity, you can run a full home automation platform, like CQC or HomeSeer, and access from wall panels.

The moral of all this is don't limit yourself to HAI hardware solutions, because they are very proprietary and once you get them you are a bit stuck. I bought some HAI touchscreens, and they do work, with rather limited functionality, but I ended up removing them for a more flexible solutions.

So start by thinking about this. Do you want to just install something and be done with it, or are you a technical person that wants to build upon this? Does it need to be up and running soon, or can it be a work-in-progress? You can run my:ro free to test, and get a feel of it. Some of the other solutions, like CQC and HomeSeer are a bit larger commitment than you can test in a day or so. But also look at the HAI software products for other ideas. Most of these do require a PC to host them. On Audio you have lots of choice as well, and many can be controlled by the HAI as well as a full-blown home automation system.

The home automation stuff is like most things. You can spend a few $1000's or a few $100,000's so you want to frame what you are after long-term before you start buying things, but the Omni Pro II is a great start.

I've had one HAI Omni Pro II for about 7 years now and working well. I installed a second one in FL on a prewire I had done about 8 years ago. Its been about 3 weeks now and working well. My neighbor/friend in FL liked my setup and asked if I could rip his out and install the an OmniPro setup.

Hey Paul what Panasonic cameras are you using?

I started with a BL-C10A to play with and get a feel for how the IP cameral world worked. Nice simple hardwire IP camera but it gets power from a wall wart. I wanted freedom to run a single Cat5e cable to cameras and avoid wall warts so all the rest of my cameras have all been PoE. I now have a mix of BB-HCM531A and BB-HCM511A cameras which are all PoE via a Linksys SRW2008P switch (good switch but noisy fan). That same switch also supplys PoE to my 5.7e touchscreens.
The 531A is an outdoor camera. Not water proof (submersion) but has a shield and seals to protect it from rain. It looks identical to the 511A (except for shield) but it has some no-so-obvious internal differences including internal lens shielding to protect it from direct sunlight which would burn out the optics in a 511A as well as a wider allowable operational temperature range. I do have one 511A outside on a porch where it is protected from the sun and weather.

If you have not looked at PoE, all solutions are not the same. I would recommend getting cameras that are 802.3af compliant so you can power them from a switch that provides 802.3af PoE. The other PoE solutions require you to use a power injector that is an inline device (uses wall wart for power) that injects power into the cable feeding the camera. In that case, you need to be sure you get an injector that produces the correct power level because not all devices (camers/etc) operate at the same power level. In a 802.3af setup, the power source (switch) introduces 48VDC power and then the end device steps the power down to whatever level it is designed to operate at. Bottom line...just because a devise says it is PoE, it does not mean it is 802.3af compliant. Lots of older model cameras (new and used) for sale that are PoE but not 802.3af compliant. The PoE line injector does not normally come with device plus you typically need one injector per device which quickly adds to more than the cost more than a switch. Watch for that if it matters to you.

I have been happy with my Panasonic cameras. They do not have the optics to match a $1000+ camera but they do not cost as much either.

@PaulD - How are you mounting those square cameras? The bullet and dome style make sense, but I am not sure how I would mount those. I am planning on mounting 3 outside under the soffits and one on the front porch.

Thanks so much for your help on this thread.

@PaulD - How are you mounting those square cameras? The bullet and dome style make sense, but I am not sure how I would mount those. I am planning on mounting 3 outside under the soffits and one on the front porch.

Thanks so much for your help on this thread.

They have a threaded hole you use to attach them to a short pedestal mount (included). The mount allows you to swivel the camera in any direction. I was going to mount my outside cameras under the soffits also but I wanted to be able to see the sky also so I ended up mounting mine on the roof at the edge so I could look down or pan up to the sky. Here in Oklahoma, we watch the sky a lot during tornado season.

This site has a good tutorial in installing one of these cameras as well as some pictures. This tutorial is several pages long.

Ok, thanks for the help so far.

I guess I need some software. What do I need / want? PC access? Snap-Link? Upstart? Do I need all of them? Where can I get them? I downloaded the Upstart, but cant find the others.

Or is there something else entirely I need?

Oh and also, every thing I read talks about using a serial connection, but I don't even own a computer with a DB9 serial port anymore. Can I somehow get USB to work? I could buy one of those conversion cables I guess?

I guess I need some software. What do I need / want? PC access? Snap-Link? Upstart? Do I need all of them? Where can I get them? I downloaded the Upstart, but cant find the others.

You want PC Access. It's not free, but it's not very expensive. There are two versions, an end user version and a more expensive dealer version. From the end user's POV, the main advantage of the dealer version is that it gives you direct access to all of the installer setup parameters. A lot of end users buy the dealer version, but you decide if it's worth the extra money.

You don't need a serial connection to use PC Access; it works fine through Ethernet, and your OPII has an Ethernet port. You use the console to configure the IP address on the OPII.

Upstart is specifically for configuring UPB devices. Strictly speaking, if you only use HAI UPB devices, you don't need Upstart; you can configure HAI-branded UPB devices from the OPII console or PC Access. However, it's still handy to have Upstart, because it lets you do things such as change dimmer-capable modules between dimming and non-dimming, and change what the LED on a UPB module does. To run Upstart, you will need to get a USB-to-serial converter, because Upstart doesn't go through the OPII -- you connect the computer directly to your UPB PIM when you run Upstart. Not all UPB-to-serial converters work properly with the PIM; HAI has a list of ones that are known to work somewhere in the Knowledgebase on their Web site. (BTW, here's a tip: PIMs are cheap, so buy two. This way, you can have one to use with Upstart and leave the other one connected to the OPII.)

Or is there something else entirely I need?

Oh and also, every thing I read talks about using a serial connection, but I don't even own a computer with a DB9 serial port anymore. Can I somehow get USB to work? I could buy one of those conversion cables I guess?

I'd also get TWO UPB computer interfaces, one for the PC and one for the panel. Switching back and forth is a pain.

Yeah, PC Access should be free but its not. Here are the others:
Snaplink: Runs on a USB FOB when plugged into a PC
Web-Link2: Runs on a PC connected to the panel enabling web access.
Web-Link3: Runs on a Windows Home Server connected to the panel enabling web access.
Media Center Plugin: Runs on a Media Center PC (XP, Vista, Win7) enabling access from a PC.
myro and a few other 3rd party programs: Usually run on a PC for access.

What to buy is up to you. SnapLink is about $100, Web-Link $200-$300, and myro can be $700 and more. CQC, HomeSeer and others give you access as well. If you have a Pro2, connect with Ethernet.

thanks for the info Paul. I'm pretty much using the same panasonics (except I'm using BB-HCM311A ) to monitor my vacation home, also mounted under the soffit. I can provide samples if anyone wants to see quality. I'm not sure what the differences are between the 311 and 511, but I'm off to do some reading!

Back