Russound MCA-C5 Integration with Elk M1 Gold

dw886

I'm trying to figure out if the Russound MCA-C3/MCA-C5 whole home audio systems integrate with the Elk M1 Gold. I'm looking to control the Russound devices via the M1. From what I can tell from the Elk documentation, you can control the Russound CAV and CAM models via their Serial to Ethernet adapters (ELK-IP232), but I do not see any mention of the newer MCA models. From what I can find, the newer MCA models support control directly over their Ethernet connection, so I don't know if the ELK-IP232 is even required...

Does anyone have any experience with the MCA-C5 and Elk, or know if this is possible?

Thanks!

FYI - I posed the same question to Elk, and wanted to share what I found out.

Here's what I got in response:

The Russound MCA-C5 series controller can be setup in generic audio mode, by programming the appropriate settings in the M1XEP setup Audio tab in ElkRP2. We can control the first 6 zones on the controller. If the controller has an on-board network connection for third party integration, there is no need to use the IP232. Follow the guidelines for the CAM/CAV generic setup. Please review the M1 Audio Application notes document: http://www.elkproducts.com/_literature_63658/M1_Audio_Application_Notes
and the M1XEP manual for more information: http://www.elkproducts.com/_literature_63700/ELK-M1XEP_Manual

If anyone has any experience with this particular setup, please let me know.

Thanks!

MCA-C5 getting delivered Monday...  Wondering the exact same thing.  Has anyone figured this out, or confirmed how to set this up without using a IP to Serial converter?  

Thanks,

I'm reviewing the M1XEP setup, and under the AUDIO tab it asks for IP address or URL. the MCA-C5 Does have a dedicated Ethernet port for IP Setup. Should be pretty easy setup through M1XEP, just choose IP and PORT. If anyone has any feedback or experience that would help avoid hurdles during setup it would be appreciated. Thanks!

I believe Amy from Elk had a video basically showing the Russound integration, but it's been years since I delved into such. May be a figment, but I swear there was a Youtube of it.

I'll look for that.
I've integrated before via the rs232 port. Lightning quick response.. very nice. In this situation ust typing in the ip seems too easy. It's s a newer model (manual says CAV and CAM support). So i hope there is full control for C series.

No luck whatsoever getting this to work...  The generic audio setup makes no sense, seems to rely on ELKRM software, but maybe i'm missing something...

Anyone out the connecting their ELK to an MCA-5 or MCA-3 system via IP?  If so, how?

I haven't been able to make this work either.  I'm almost thinking that it requires an IP to RS232 device, and can't simply be controlled via network connection.  I don't have an IP to Serial converter, so I haven't been able to test this out at all. 

If anyone has any experience with integrating these two products, I'd love to hear it as well...

Russound Confirmed that network control is only supported via RIO protocol. So legacy devices are going to be required (rs232). I feel like I'm trying to connect a New computer to a dot matrix printer (google it youngins). I hope ELK brings the m1xep up to speed on the new RIO protocol... this is making me wonder why i chose ELK over HAI.

I just talked to ELK.  They advised that it can only control MCA system VIa RS232, NOT IP (due to Russound only talking RIO on the IP port)  They said there was a trick with setting it up, and she reviewed some notes and told me it had something to do with setting up the MCA to talk RNET over the Serial port, not RIO.  

It sounds as if the MCA is setup by default to use RIO over RS232.   
Does anyone know how to change this?  I dont see anything in the SCS software....

If you open up the Russound System Configuration Software, there's a setting on the System Setup screen (the first screen shown, or by clicking "System Setup" in the left hand navigation).  There's a section called "RS232 COM Port Settings" where you can change the Protocol between RNET and RIO.

Hope this helps.

So are you planning on using TCP/IP to RS232 in order to control the Russound unit?  Let me know how it goes, I'm willing to help in any way that I can - I just don't have the hardware to test this out (yet).

You are correct, center of the first setting page... sometimes the most obvious is the least obvious.  Glad this was covered.  
The ELK rep also mentioned there was nothing on the horizon to support RIO unfortunately...

UPDATE:

Caved in and connected via RS-232.  ALL/OFF/ON functions don't seem to work via ELK (Russound rep said some commands have been updated since ELK support for Russound was created).  Specific Zone on and off as well as volume control are confirmed working.

Can you please clarify if you connected the MCA-C5 via an ELK-IP232 or directly through an ELK-M1XSP?

If you are using the ELK-IP232, did you also connect the LAN port on the MCA-C5 to the network?

thanks!

I'm using IP232 to the serial port in the back. Elk does not support RIO natively and the MCA's Ethernet port is for RIO only therefore it's not possible to control the MCA this way (at least if you are using the default russound audio control in elk which is RNET)
I put that last comment in parenthesis because it seems possible you can manually write the RIO strings and set up the MCA as a central station and deliver the commands via TCP. There is another thread about "Vera Alerts" where this method is explained... if anyone tried to control the MCA this way, please keep us updated.

Back