Special Brultech ECM-1220.H offer to cocoontech members.

There are are a lot of torquing issues with the main feed conductors to ensure they do not come loose over time... are you sure you want to remove them?

The designation on my main cable says Kaiser Alminum 2/0 and the individusal conductors measure a full 3/4 inch in diameter... will the 200 Amp split core transformers fit these wires?

Rupp, you don't have to run wire for ZigBee either. ZigBee is actually a really good choice for this application.

I think his point was that he wants to install the device near his panel and use his existing Z-Wave network to communicate with it... rather than purchasing a ZigBee computer interface and all.

Brett
Yep. I have no need for ZigBee. I would think if you want to market this device as a wireless device, Z-Wave would be more appropriate for the Home Automation crowd.

The ECM-1220 is a two channel unit which allows monitoring of two seperate loads if desired. We have a solution for connecting both phases
of a 120V/240V panel to a single channel if desired, leaving the other channel to monitor a secondary load. The TED is a single channel
unit.

OK ... I am feeling a little slow here.

I have a standard 110V 200A service, and also have two circuits with 30A electric heaters attached to them. I'd like to be able to monitor the whole house usage, and also monitor the two (240V) heater circuits separately. My understanding of this device is that I would be able to monitor the whole house and one of the other loads.

What is needed to monitor the second load -- a another pair of CTs? How much would they cost? Can the CT's be attached at the heater end of the circuit rather than the panel end (I have them going into a huge disconnect switch box which has way more room than my panel).

Is this product cUL/CSA rated for use in Canada?

Rupp, you don't have to run wire for ZigBee either. ZigBee is actually a really good choice for this application.

I think his point was that he wants to install the device near his panel and use his existing Z-Wave network to communicate with it... rather than purchasing a ZigBee computer interface and all.

Brett
Yep. I have no need for ZigBee. I would think if you want to market this device as a wireless device, Z-Wave would be more appropriate for the Home Automation crowd.
ZigBee is designed for stuff like this, as far as I know, Z-wave isn't.

Brett

Z-Wave is certainly capable of handling this kind of device. In fact, there's been a lot of talk about it recently in the Z-Wave community. See http://zwaveworld.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=306 and http://www.z-wavealliance.org/modules/iaCM...hp?id=332398592

Brett

Is there a chance this could be integrated into the ELKM1G?

There are are a lot of torquing issues with the main feed conductors to ensure they do not come loose over time... are you sure you want to remove them?

Hmm... I'm thinking no, then... split core CT's here I come;)

I've got the same setup with a master breaker out by the meter and a main feed into the garage and I would not even dare think about removing the main feeds. Even if you had the right tools and specs it would be more of a PITA to do for the insignificant gain you may get.

The ECM-1220 is a two channel unit which allows monitoring of two seperate loads if desired. We have a solution for connecting both phases
of a 120V/240V panel to a single channel if desired, leaving the other channel to monitor a secondary load. The TED is a single channel
unit.

OK ... I am feeling a little slow here.

I have a standard 110V 200A service, and also have two circuits with 30A electric heaters attached to them. I'd like to be able to monitor the whole house usage, and also monitor the two (240V) heater circuits separately. My understanding of this device is that I would be able to monitor the whole house and one of the other loads.

What is needed to monitor the second load -- a another pair of CTs? How much would they cost? Can the CT's be attached at the heater end of the circuit rather than the panel end (I have them going into a huge disconnect switch box which has way more room than my panel).

Is this product cUL/CSA rated for use in Canada?
I also asked about the dual channel monitoring and here was Paul's response:
If you wish to use two CTs on one channel to monitor the entire panel, you would need to specify this when ordering since we would supply you with a kit of matching CTs on a single plug with necessary resistors incorporated. The power for CH1 is calculated independantly from CH2 power. Data packets include independant data for each channel. The only common data is the line voltage which is based on the wall transformer's secondary.
So, since its a special cable, I don't think you can put them remote, they probably need to go in the panel together.

I'll let Paul answer for sure on the certification, but I'm guessing since they are based in Canada they have the right certifications for there.

Brett

I doubt it and I'm not sure I would see the value in it. You really need to process alot of data.

Brett

I doubt it and I'm not sure I would see the value in it. You really need to process alot of data.

The value would be to alleviate another external peripheral from my HA PC. What would be alot of data?

If the Elk can handle various input monitoring such as zones, thermostats, multiple keypads, temperature sensors, process instantaneous rules, and my Homeseer application continuously communicating using UJ's plug-in, I would think it could handle interval data aquisition from a data recorder.

Is the concept completely out of the question?

BtechRep,

This looks like a very interesting product.

What about UL listing for use in the United States? It looks like the plug-in AC adapter is UL listed but I did not see anything mentioned about the rest of the system. I am especially concerned about the current transformers since they mount inside the electrical panel. I would like to know that this system is approved and legal for use in the United States before considering a purchase.

I also have a question about the current transformer's opening. I have a 200 amp service that is fed by 3/0 THW copper wire. Since the wire size is larger than some and the older THW insulation is thicker than the THHN used today, I was wondering if the current transformers you list in your package will have a large enough opening? If the opening is not large enough, do you have other options available and at what cost?

Thanks,
Brian

Back