Top 10 Options for Whole House Audio

I am not familar with that card but it might be ok. You can get a new Delta 410 off Ebay for $100.

JRMC has some software syncing but its not perfect (I have yet to see a software method of syncing that is). I use a hardware sync method so yes I can play 1 CD in 2 rooms (from the master zone) and have a 2nd and 3rd CD playing in 2 other rooms. I do this with the built in IR controllable line level inputs on the receivers and a seperate feed from an inexspensive Xatech distribution amp.

Remember I put this system together on a tight budget. I got the most bang for the buck as I could without sacrificing audio quality. I did not want elevator music in each zone. Thats why I stuck with a lossless format and a minimum of 200 watts RMS in each zone.

John

This could be a good solution but you need to provide more details to make your case. I thought the Delta 410 was discontinued so won't the supply of them be drying up? Also how do you run your line level audio to the receivers? What is the model number of the Xantech unit? What lossless format do you use; FLAC?

This could be a really cool way of distributing audio but I don't think most of us understand the nuts and bolts of how your system is put together.

3DogKnight, As FYI, the new MusicLobby 3 supports J River zone synching. As JWilson advises, the synch isn't a perfect heartbeat, but good and inexpensive for where the zones aren't in audible shared space.
If perfect synch is required, then go with a Russound Cav6.6 or similar.
EDIT:
Mike, Media Center supports many audio codecs for multiple content types. Lossless as well. I believe FLAC is one of them. The MAudio card is only one of a zillion that is also supported by Media Center. It was a very nice, one, but as you say, is out of production. the Creative XiFi line has been getting some good press. I might try one of those next. This will also work with Media Center, and because of that, works with MusicLobby 3.

I believe JWilson is using NetRemote app as a front end to Media Center. Same approach with MainLobby as a front end to Media Center.

MusicLobby allows for connection to one or more Media Center instances, each instance can have multiple sound card, each sound card having multiple channels that Media Center pairs into discrete zones. These output zones can then be sent to an amplifier of your choice - including a Russound which is a very popular MusicLobby integration. The end user doesn't interact with Media Center, they interact with the MusicLobby flash front end. You can also interact by sending commands from custom buttons within MainLobby to Play / Pause / etc. a given zone.

Its fairly detailed in the Now Playing thread as well as my showcase. Yes the Delta 410 is discontinued but they still can be found. I actually bought a spare for my setup ($89 off ebay new).

All of my receivers are local so the line level are easy to patch. All I had to run was speaker wires to eeach room (zone). Its all controlled via the touch screen interface. Of coarse you could use the same hardware setup and use the Mainlobby/MusicLobby software to do the same as my Now Playing project.

I only mentioned it as another method of achieving a decent setup without spending big bucks. Each receiver I bought was an average of $50 for used 2 channel units off Ebay. The whole system has been evolving. I started with a 400 disc changer then added the extra zones using a HTML/ASP front end. When I went with JRMC I was able to create a true multizone setup.

See this thread....

http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showto...&hl=now+playing

http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showto...&hl=now+playing

http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showto...27&hl=netremote

John

OK I can picture it better now. Different brands of receivers(with different IR codes) in a central location. The long runs to the rooms are speaker level. All controlled from a central touch screen interface?

I have a setup similar to John's (jwilson56), multiple, inexpensive receivers all located in my wiring closet. I use IR to control them from the zone they each serve. Unlike John I don't have a multi output sound card, so I can't have different tracks from the server playing in each zone (though it's on the to-do list).

I have the output of the sound card split to each receiver, and it also goes to a cheap-o FM transmitter, so I have sync'd music in any zone I set to the sound card output as well as being able to use a boombox on the patio and a walkman when out doing yardwork.

I am currently using Jinzora software which lets me cue up tunes via any computer in the house, it also lets me stream my mp3s from anywhere via the i-net.

Pete C

I love my country, but fear my government.

pete said:
I am currently using Jinzora software which lets me cue up tunes via any computer in the house, it also lets me stream my mp3s from anywhere via the i-net.

Pete C

I love my country, but fear my government.
Ok. When you say "any computer in the house" I have to ask: How many computers do you have? Do you keep them all running all the time?

Actually I have an Slink-e interface that has 8 independent IR zones. An Ocelot could also be used. Lastly if you chose different model of receivers and were lucky then you could get away with a single IR zone.

Once you go touchscreen to control your music library you will never go back. Lightyears ahead of a jukebox player...

:)

John

Mike, because MusicLobby3 also supports multiple Instances (PCs) of Media Center, you can use a PC as a local music zone, controllable by any other MusicLobby client on the LAN. So, it's not just distributing the high level speaker ouputs, but that is one primary choice.

Of course you could also distribute the sound card low level ouput to a locally installed amplifier, but that brings in noise and other issues.

jwilson56 said:
Actually I have an Slink-e interface that has 8 independent IR zones...

Once you go touchscreen to control your music library you will never go back. Lightyears ahead of a jukebox player...

:)

John
I've been wondering what to do with my old slink-e. (Or for that matter what to do with my 3 old CD jukebox players)

DavidL said:
Mike, because MusicLobby3 also supports multiple Instances (PCs) of Media Center, you can use a PC as a local music zone, controllable by any other MusicLobby client on the LAN. So, it's not just distributing the high level speaker ouputs, but that is one primary choice.

Of course you could also distribute the sound card low level ouput to a locally installed amplifier, but that brings in noise and other issues.
I'm not sure I want to put a local PC in each listening area. I'm probably more inclined to use the multi-channel sound card feeding a stack of amps in the closet.

I'm trying to reduce the total number of PCs in my life because I read there was a study that people are wasting more and more time participating in long rambling discussions on the Internet instead of doing something constructive with their lives. (Though personally I haven't seen any evidence to support this claim.)

Its very easy and cheap to build a break out box for zones 2-8 using the DB-25 connector on the Slink-e.

John

I bought the Nirvis break out box as I knew they wouldn't be available too long after Slinke went out of production. works great to this day.

Back