Water Shutoff Valve

Dan,

Provided these are similar in quality to the Elk version, I'd like to get 2 of the 3/4" stainless steel valves (2-way) so I can put them in series to have a backup to the security blanket. Thanks very much for putting this together.

David

Bucko,

Can you post a picture of the mod you did to validate whether it is open/closed? Sounds like a great mod.

David

How does one attach these to copper pipes? Do you use a dielectric compression joint?

This is a good question- I hadn't been paying attention to the fact that these are stainless... I'm finding conflicting information about copper to stainless needing dielectric isolation. Anyone know for sure??

I have two water meters configured on copper pipes (see pics). No issues with them being steel and connected to the water pipes now for about 5-6 years.

Attachments

• water-3.jpg
    water-3.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 43
I just took a look at the KZ Valve and the Elk WSV valve and both are stainless steel construction as well. So with that said, I'm definitely in for two of the 3/4" valves as you can't beat the price. Thanks.

David

All,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm just glad I've been able to give back to the community for once. Generally I'm the one getting IN on a deal. It is nice to provide it. Some thanks should go to Bucko, since he is the one that
a) first got one
B) gave enough positive information on it that it drove me to go out and figure out how to get contact with this company.

According to this:

You need to use the dielectric union between copper and steel. Neat, I learned something new!

I personally have CPVC, so...yeah, I was just going to put threaded ends on the 3/4 line and screw it in using some plumbers tape.

politics123, thanks for checking all that out, I also did not notice the reduced bore (I'm only interested in the 3/4" valve).
I have PDFS that I was sent a while ago, during my first few e-mails. I can post if people would like to see them to verify that the valves FIT your needs.

As was posted, I also believe that these are supposed to be food grade (hence stainless steel, vs. brass).

Also, as politics123 mentioned, they are all 2 way and 12VDC. the 2 way means you need to apply VOLTAGE to OPEN it, then apply VOLTAGE to close it.

New list:
drozwood90 - 1x3/4"
pete_c - 1x1"
politics123 - 1x1.25" ; 1x1/2"
dgage - 2x3/4"
gatorhwk - 1x1.25"
Kevin L - 1x1"
funat120mph (Adam) - 1x3/4"
mdesmarais - 1x1"
-------------------------
Total"
4x3/4"
1x1/2"
3x1"
2x1.25"

I'd like to ensure that everyone signed up for a 1" can accept the reduced BORE. I know how much that can affect your flow. I will go back to the vendor with the above list to get a rough idea on pricing. I will do 3x1" and 2x1.25" (I'm assuming at least one of you will switch to get the larger flow ball).

Personally, I like to try to avoid Paypal when I can, I like to use personal check. If any of you really do not want to do that, I will work out what the fees are, as was suggested.

Also, as I said before, you are more than welcome to order for yourself, to direct ship it to your house. I'm only suggesting we pool, since the shipping costs drop so much when I started to add more than 1 unit to the shipping box. PM me and I can give you all the contact information.

When Ms. Ava Gu gets back to me regarding the price on the above list (with 2 1.25" and 3 1" valves), I'll post the costs and try to figure out pricing per "person". Then, as I said, you can figure out shipping to your place from mine. 14514 Rochester, NY. If you want me to figure it out closer, I can try to do that if you want to PM me your address so we can get a real estimate of shipping from my house to yours.

--Dan

Edited for valve quantities as of post #68

Also, I should note, I do not expect a reply from her until after Oct. 7, nor hear from Bucko until after that. Late September until Oct. 7 is apparently a national holiday. So, everyone is out. :)

--Dan

Dan, I think I am going to want the 1.25, but I need to figure out how many limbs all the joints and up/downs are going to run me.... I'll get back to you soon!
Yes, China is pretty much shut down this week...

thanks for putting this together!

Markd

The placement of the valve here will be about 50 feet from my alarm panel.

From what I am reading here I need 4 wires to go to the switch. 2 for power and 2 for the switch. Relating to the 12VDC power would it suffice to take the power from the alarm panel? Would standard alarm (22 guage) wire work for said switch?

Looks like I will need a bit more power and noticed DIN power supplies being sold by one vendor. This would work as I have built a small DIN (Meanwell) 12VDC setup for my landscaping LED lighting. This said though would it be better to utilize 16-18 guage wire for the DC voltage?

The placement of the valve here will be about 50 feet from my alarm panel.

From what I am reading here I need 4 wires to go to the switch. 2 for power and 2 for the switch. Relating to the 12VDC power would it suffice to take the power from the alarm panel? Would standard alarm (22 guage) wire work for said switch?

Looks like I will need a bit more power and noticed DIN power supplies being sold by one vendor. This would work as I have built a small DIN (Meanwell) 12VDC setup for my landscaping LED lighting. This said though would it be better to utilize 16-18 guage wire for the DC voltage?

Pete,

I'll post the datasheets, but yeah, you will need something like 16guage. The current is going to be probably 1-2 Amps (again, I'll post the datasheet...maybe someone can find a decent power supply?). Basically, I am going to get a cheapy extension cord, cut the wire from the middle, for this, then reattach the two ends with 1-2" of cord. Then I can use that to clip a current sensor to something...or just use that to "extend" a plug away from the wall so I can put multiple UPB modules on one wall socket without doing crazy things to the UPB modules themselves.

--Dan

Hey, Dan.

I'm thinking the 1.25 is going to be better for me, too. I don't want to restrict to 3/4" and have that affect anything. I'm very happy with the pressure in my home, and don't want that to change. Plus, I think I'll order two to have one as a backup.

Thanks,
Kevin

Back