What is the maximum operating temperature of the Elk M1 Gold?

ghurty

What is the maximum operating temperature of the Elk M1 Gold? I am trying to figure out if I can put it into my attic.

Thank you

Do not mount it in the attic!

From the Elk Installation Manual:

DO NOT MOUNT THE CONTROL OUTDOORS OR IN A DAMP LOCATION OR WHERE THE ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
ARE UNSUITABLE FOR ELECTRONIC BASED EQUIPMENT. DO NOT MOUNT IN AN UNCONDITIONED ATTIC. USE
COMMON SENSE AND GOOD INSTALLATION PRACTICES. A suitable location would be inside a secure dry location where
the ambient temperature inside the control box can remain at 32‘ to 120° Fahrenheit (0’ to +49' Celsius).

You asked a question - you got an answer that quotes the manufacturer.  Without giving any more details about your attic or climate, what more do you expect?  We certainly don't know where you live or that your attic has spray foam.

If your attic will never get over about 85° it'd probably be fine - but if it's going to get any warmer than that or have big changes in humidity, just don't do it.  If this is new construction, you can put it anywhere and a flush-mount box between studs literally takes up zero space - it'd be smarter to pick a better central location for not just the Elk, but all your structured wiring components as well.

Even in a space 85 degrees or so you're going to be affecting the life and overall reliablity over time....electronics don't like heat.

Back