Loops Values for HAI Omnipro II

heffneil

Hey guys just wondering if anyone know what the threshold is for a loop going in to trouble on an HAI Omnipro? I have a loop that went in to trouble in the middle of the night (woke the entire family) I replaced the resistor at the end of line and it still reads 140. That is much lower than the others in my panel usually at 146 to 147. At times the suspect zone goes in to 139. I don't know if I am playing with fire or not and why this would be an issue with a new resistor. The zone is about 300 to 400 feet from the panel.

Thanks,

Neil

Maybe a bad connection at the contact side? I would check the resistance across the loop without the resistor.

It is a straight run - I cut off the wire ends and then restripped in an effort to improve the contact. I have been having the strangest problems with this zone and the other pieces around it so I am not sure what is going on.

Do you have any idea how far I am away from Trouble?

Thanks,

Neil

No I'm not sure. Try swapping it with another zone and see if the reading is the same. If so you defiantly have a wiring / contact issue. If could be as simple as a bad window / door contact.

So the number you see there represents the voltage the Omni is seeing across the zone. If a zone is open, the voltage across a zone is high. If the zone is shorted, the number will be near zero. If you using the correct 1K resister the number should be around 146 to 152. HAI allows an extra 150 ohms resistance so the total should be under 1150 ohms total.

Your number is 140, which indicates a resistance that is too low. Either your EOL resister is incorrect, or something is connecting your two wires together where it shouldn't or its cross-wired to another zone.

What I would do to start is disconnect the zone wires, and place a 1000 ohm EOL resister across the zone terminals. What does it read now? If its correct your zone is OK, but if its incorrect, you might have a bad Omni zone hardware. If that is the case, you might just want to use another zone. If it reads correctly, measure the resistance of the zone. It should be between 850 to 1150 ohms including the EOL resister. My guess is you might have a zone cross-wired to another zone.

This zone worked just fine not too long ago. it is wired in to a relay that is closed when a button is pressed. I suspect the board / relay is just fine. What I think isn't going well is there might be a splice in the ground using telephone taps (The red guys with the silicone in them). I would believe that there is a short or water infiltrated in to the circuit. I will redo the splices tomorrow. I was thinking about using a balloon and zip ties to close up the entire circuit as well. Any thoughts?

Point of Clarification: the relay opens when the button is pressed. It is normally closed.
Thanks!

Neil

Back