Elk M1-XEP GMX E-mail Setup

reko19

Had GMX email working with no issues since 2014, stopped working last month.  Anybody else has any issues, any suggestions on how to get it working again?

Thank you.

I've never used GMX. Try using a different email provider?

I have my own hosted email server that I utilize for numerous people and it works without issue.

What firmware version is on your XEP? Did you upgrade to the latter versions that support encrypted emails?

I never updated the firmware, heard there are some issues with delayed response, etc.  I have been using GMX for the past several years, they must've changed something that is messing me up.

Anybody still successfully using GMX?

thx

Yes, I have noticed an additional delay (a few seconds) with the utilization of encrypted emails. Having said that, I'd prefer the time loss over having Elk messages (i.e. AC power lost) sent in plain text. 

I also had email notifications setup when family members other than myself or wife would disarm the system (e.g. brother, mother-in-law, etc). Simply a notification that I could receive that they had disarmed the system; maybe they were dog watching. ***Mary disarmed the system***. My preference is to have this information encrypted. YMMV. 

So I inquired if GMX made any changed to their system here is what I received in reply:

As communicated, we have performed an update in our system and what you may have been experiencing is a service interruption as the settings in your device or mail program were not adjusted. In order to continue sending and receiving via an email program (e.g. Outlook/Thunderbird/Apple Mail), system (such us scanners/cameras/printers) or the native mail client in the mobile device please use the following values in your configuration:

SMTP Settings
* Server SMTP: mail.gmx.com
* Port SMTP: 25 or 587 or 465 (STARTTLS, TLS or encryption)

POP & IMAP Settings
* Server IMAP4: imap.gmx.com
* Port IMAP4: 143 or 585 or 993 (SSL or encryption)
* Server POP3: pop.gmx.com
* Port POP3: 110 or 995 (SSL or encryption)

I really don't see any difference from what I am using.  Should I be able to email using original ELK firmware, I am not sure if STARTTLS, TLS qualifies as non-encrypted email supported by the original ELK firmware.  I am reluctant to upgrade as it could create other issues with the setup that is working perfectly except for the email capabilities.

Thx

You should still be able to utilize the mail.gmx.com server, with port 25 (unless your ISP has decided to start blocking it). That's also a possibility. 

Otherwise, I am pretty confident that you are going to have to upgrade the XEP to support the STARTTLS or TLS (encrypted) options if you want to continue using the GMX mail server. 

@drvnbysound, thank you for your help.  Port 25 is indeed blocked by Comcast. I have been using port 587 and mail server mail.gmx.com. Based on the email from GMX:

Port SMTP: 25 or 587 or 465 (STARTTLS, TLS or encryption)

does this mean that port 587 would only now work with STARTTLS, TLS or encryption?

many thanks for your help

Here utilize port 465 (think that is encrypted SSL) for SMTP (GMail)  and do not do pop with my stuff.

Port 587.....is usually used for the "mail submission"service which speaks plain simplified SMTP - plain as in "not encrypted"  as in "not SSL".

Port 465....is usually used for the "secure SMTP" service, which *does* start speaking SSL straight away.

Then you have to go to your GMail settings on GMail and change them to the "less secure" apps feature.

Well this is what I did here for GMail and devices (well still utilize STunnel email proxy with original port of 25).

If port 587 is working then it is doing so over authenticated, but not secured email. You would need to upgrade the xep for secured email and, ideally, change over to port 465.

Thanks guys.  Looks like I need to update the XEP in order to get it working again, doesn't look there is any other way. I will report back.

There is a way for the cost of any old PC / RPi and some of your time.

I wrote about it here ==>

STunnel - Ubuntu 16.04 - GMail SMTP

You have to leave a computer on and that is your email proxy.

You can leave the old settings of SMTP and or POP and continue to utilize your old Elk Board and just point to the STunnel box as your proxy.

The STunnel software will do the email stuff for you. 

BTW Comcast started to filter (on your modem) the standard email ports around 2006.  Back then it was an email from them to you telling you that you have a spam email device on your network.  Caused an upheaval and then Comcast was sued for playing with personal owned modems without telling the users.  Over time most ISP's have removed the old legacy features of email.  My personal email server (cloud based dirigibles ;)) still lets me utilize old methodology of email if I want.

So I finally found some time to work on the system.  When I tried to connect using network connection i get connection error "could not initialize secure connection". I am using ElkRP 2.0.12, ELK M1G firmware 5.2.4. Last login over two years ago when I needed to update email, with the same computer. 

Is this part of the same problem as I was having with the emails?  I was thinking if I am using the same computer shouldn't be an issue, but obviously security updates, etc. have been applied and who knows what updates Comcast performed on their cable modem.

thank you

reko19 said:
Had GMX email working with no issues since 2014, stopped working last month.  Anybody else has any issues, any suggestions on how to get it working again?

Thank you.

Same issue here. Did you find a resolution?

Nope, everything else is working including thermostats, remote acces, etc. I suspect there is no work around short of upgrading a firmware. Seem like too much hassle at this time, guarantee would have to spend a day working out the issues after the upgrade

Okay, I updated mine and it was a royal pain in the ***. I used the special Windows 10 updater application by Elk to update. After the update, I couldn't connect. I eventually had to jump the JP2 pins (twice) to get the M1xep into DCHP mode. I then messed with the secure/non-secure port settings until I connected properly. I didn't change the email settings or anything and emails started flowing after sending the settings to the M1XEP. Good luck.

Back