1141 errors on both keypads

kbmyers

I've got an Elk M1 Gold system that has been working reliably for a little over a year now. A few days ago, both my keypads gave me a "Lost Comm." error message.

The log file shows a number of 1141 Expansion Module Trouble errors. I've verified all connections and proper termination of the data bus. I've also tried connecting each keypad individually (while putting a jumper on JP3 so I still have two terminators on the bus). I still got the "Lost Comm" error for each keypad. I'm using a basic home run cable layout with four conductor wires going from each keypad to the M1. There are no devices daisy chained and each keypad is terminated.

The ElkRP software shows "Keypad Trouble" in the status screen, but I am able to connect, arm and disarm the system remotely via my network.

Any suggestions on what to try next?

Thanks,
Kent

A quick update: I've found that if I only connect keypad 1, then I can at least use the system. I still get a constant "Lost Comm" error, but the keypad functions. With two keypads connected, neither of them will function.

Are you using a data bus hub?

I had a wierd issue like this awhile ago, and I ultimately resolved it by powering down the M1G completely. I turned off the switch on the board, disconnected the power, to include the battery, and let it sit for a few minutes. I then hooked everything back up and it worked fine. I also had not changed anything in my system. i thought it was strange, but its never done it since.

Not using a data bus hub. I've powered the unit down, but I haven't tried disconnecting the battery yet.

Thanks,
Kent

Are you using a data bus hub?

I had a wierd issue like this awhile ago, and I ultimately resolved it by powering down the M1G completely. I turned off the switch on the board, disconnected the power, to include the battery, and let it sit for a few minutes. I then hooked everything back up and it worked fine. I also had not changed anything in my system. i thought it was strange, but its never done it since.

I tried the full power-down process; unplugging the unit and disconnecting the battery for about a half hour. No luck. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Kent

The only times I have seen this was when there was a bad termination of 2 wires into 1 position of the terminal block on the M1 and I think also once when someone reversed the data buss wires on one of two keypads.

Not sure if this would do it but are both keypads set to a unique address?

Sorry for the very delay response here. I got sidetracked with other projects but this is back on my "Fix It" list.

My system has been limping along with only one keypad attached to it since this problem started. It works, but I have a constant "Keypad No Comm" message on the keypad. It doesn't matter which keypad I connect, as long as only one of them is attached. The system works, but with an error message. With both keypads attached (different addresses, both terminated correctly) I can't arm the system.

This system had been functioning for about a year before this happened. Since either keypad shows the same problem, I'm ruling out bad keypad or bad wiring. I've also carefully checked for loose wires or shorted terminals.

Ideas? Thanks,
Kent

Back