3 way x10 switch problems

hgupta1 said:
Ughh...this is a super cheap power supply that I just bought two months ago. And I was so proud of being a frugal consumer.

I don't have a UPS on that computer. Do those usually help clean up the signal, or do I have to go ahead and get a new power supply? I really don't want to pay that much for an Antec power supply.

Can I rent a signal meter somewhere?

Hemant
It depends on the nature of the noise or signal suck. Putting a long extension cord on it will distance it electrically from the X-10 devices and tell you if it is a big problem or small one. If things get better you can probably find a way to filter the problem away.

Actually, UPS devices themselves are signal suckers. Mine has a big X10 filter on it though and that seems to work well.

Yep, I've seen people have to replace the power supplies on their PCs. Sometimes really cheap power supplies aren't a good deal!

Success!

I replaced my 350W power supply with a 145W power supply from my girlfriend's ancient Compaq computer. (I hope she never asks about it... I gutted it and took everything slightly useful).

All the x10 devices are working well.

I'm just slightly concerned that the power supply is not sufficient. How will I know? The computer booted without any problems. Hopefully it will last until I can find a beefier supply

By the way... the culprit is a powersupply maid by RAIDmax ...so avoid it if you see it cheap.

145W is extremely low, and probably wil cause instability problems in the future unless you have a really slow or energy efficient machine. If you tell us what you have, we can help you pick the right one.

hgupta1 said:
By the way... the culprit is a powersupply maid by RAIDmax ...so avoid it if you see it cheap.
Yep, that is the EXACT power supply that I had giving me the problems I mentioned above! Throw that sucker away.

NewEgg has an Antec 400 Watt for $63 shipped.

Back