A few camera/DVR questions

Herdfan

I am looking a setting up a few cameras around my house and I have a few questions that I have not been able to find answers to.

At my wife's old job, they had a camera/monitor/VCR system. The VCR basically recorded the output from the TV monitor. The cameras were hooked directly into the monitor via a telephone type jack (probably an RJ-11). This jack provided power to the camera and video back to the monitor. I can't seem to find any "kits" that use this type of connection.

I would much rather run a CAT3/5 to each location rather than two video and then have to find a way to power the camera.

I would also like to be able to access the DVR via an IP address so that I can call it up from any TP in the house.

Anyone have any ideas where to find what I am looking for.

Thanks.

Are you saying that you now own this older equipment and are trying to figure out how to wire them together using Cat5 wire? If so, then just figure out what the pinout is on the existing wires, and wire a same type RJ connector on the end of the Cat5 and put the corresponing RJ connector on the other end with the same wiring as the original cable. ie: pin 1 goes to pin 1, pin 2 to 2, etc. (check yours with an ohmeter to verify that it's this simple).

Or, are you saying that you want to buy IP based cameras and have them record to a PC?
If that is the case, there are many Toshiba, Panasonic, Axis etc. cameras to do this. You can also typically use Power Over Ethernet (POE) with these cameras. But, as with anything, this can add up to a few bucks as IP based cameras are always more expensive than simple "bullet" cameras that connect to a central video capture card. You should look into that option as well.

With the IP based, most also support Pan / tilt that can be PC controllable.

Ultrak does that, it's not a good idea though. Use widely accepted standards so you can get parts cheaper and repairs easier in the future. So use Cat5 and baluns, IP over Cat5 or coaxial RG59u.

Are you saying that you now own this older equipment and are trying to figure out how to wire them together using Cat5 wire? If so, then just figure out what the pinout is on the existing wires, and wire a same type RJ connector on the end of the Cat5 and put the corresponing RJ connector on the other end with the same wiring as the original cable. ie: pin 1 goes to pin 1, pin 2 to 2, etc. (check yours with an ohmeter to verify that it's this simple).

In my experience that doesn't work, it's not baseband analog like most cameras. They often have audio and video and sometimes an IO function plus power on those 2 pairs of wire.

This is probably system specific though.

EDIT: There are also "UTP" cameras, those are just a normal camera with a balun already inside. If this is the case David's idea will work fine.

Are you saying that you now own this older equipment and are trying to figure out how to wire them together using Cat5 wire?

Or, are you saying that you want to buy IP based cameras and have them record to a PC?
No. Sorry if I wasn't more clear.

I don't own anything. I remember how that system worked and it seemed much easier than having to run a video line plus then find a way to power the cameras.

I do not want to record to a PC. I want to use a security DVR to record the video from the camera.

I was hoping to find an all-in-one package solution where I could plug the cameras in to a DVR and and have it work. I have seen these "kits" that use regular video cables and if I have to, I will go that route, but I really don't want to have to run a separate power feed tot he camera if I don't have to.

herd, ah ok. no pc. missed that part.

well. the link works now. but they have an ip server, so you might have to have a pc. but maybe it can hook up to a dvr, not sure. you can call their tech support and ask them what they ahve that you can use. its VERY easy to set up. bullet proof and hard to not get it right.

http://www.onqlegrand.com/jahia/Jahia/pid/1367

Use balun and Cat5 or buy UTP cameras then. You can run 2 tiny cameras on one Cat5 run, if you run seperate power you can run 4 cameras on 1 Cat5.

I am looking a setting up a few cameras around my house and I have a few questions that I have not been able to find answers to.

At my wife's old job, they had a camera/monitor/VCR system. The VCR basically recorded the output from the TV monitor. The cameras were hooked directly into the monitor via a telephone type jack (probably an RJ-11). This jack provided power to the camera and video back to the monitor. I can't seem to find any "kits" that use this type of connection.

I would much rather run a CAT3/5 to each location rather than two video and then have to find a way to power the camera.

I would also like to be able to access the DVR via an IP address so that I can call it up from any TP in the house.

Anyone have any ideas where to find what I am looking for.

Thanks.

Try OnQ Cat 5 camera system as others suggested, but understand this. The OnQ cat5 system is not propretary meaning that the video and power are on different wires on the cat5 and as such can be mixed with other traditional video that uses coax (if you need or would like to). OnQ Cat5 Products

As for the ability to view on line, then the DVR is the trick. Use one that allows access from the in house LAN or the world wide WAN. ARM Brand DVR

Back