ADT/Ademco wireless motionsensors w/Elk or Caddx?

Are there any other important differences between WIRED motion detectors for an alarm system that I should be aware of? I would imagine that some sensors have higher resolution, more more distance, wider angel, etc., yes? Since I will apparently be free to pick from any manufacturer of wired sensors, what brand/model is the best?

The ADT rep confirmed that the 128BP is available and said he'd sold one just last week...he said he didn't know it had the serial port feature because he doesn't pay attention to features ADT can't make use of in its security business. It slays me, the inefficiency of knowledge!

I've been looking at the DSC line of Bravo detectors. The 5 offers both motion and glass break. I don't know how they compare to the others though.

tanstaaf1 said:
jeffx said:
Yes, ADT does carry/support the 128BP (they list it I believe as the 128BPADT).
jeffx, Do you know if my existing wireless motion sensors (ademco 5890) will work with the panel? Did you convert from a lower model and were you able to keep most of your peripherals? The whole point of going to this trouble is to keep my existing investment in peripherals; if I was going from scratch I'd get an Elk I'm pretty sure....
Yes, all 58xx wireless devices will work with the 128BP. Right now I use 2 wireless keypads, 1 wireless RF remote, a wireless smoke/heat detector and a wireless glassbreak, all 58xx devices. I also have an assortment of wired sensors. The 128BP can handle 128 total zones. If you need more, the 250BP is almost identical but can handle 250 total zones.

tanstaaf1 said:
Are there any other important differences between WIRED motion detectors for an alarm system that I should be aware of?
Do you have pets? For my sensors that will trigger an alarm in away mode, I had to go with the DualTec motion detectors. They use both microwave and PIR to prevent false alarms and are pet immune up to 100 pounds (our dog is 95 pounds). They only drawback is that they are huge :)

If you want very small or even recessed motion detectors, check out the Visonic Clip and Visonic Spy series of motion detectors. If money was no object, I would have a house full of these.

Back