alexa / whole house audio

rismoney

I have a whole house audio system that apparently has a capability to do paging (it's an old sonance, c4630).  The way it works, is when a 6-24VDC is present at the control in terminals, all system zones switch to audio from the page in jack.  when the control voltage drops to 0, audio in the zones will switch back to the seleected source component.

The question then is, is it possible to use an Amazon Echo to trigger a 6-24VDC.  Or am I going about this wrong?

It all seems a bit catch-22, to be able to control whole house audio, and have an echo that doesn't use the speakers I already have.

Or perhaps I could do this via a Bluetooth adapter that can output power when in use?

the Dot has an audio output.  i wonder if there is a way to get a relay that would trigger when it detects voltage and turn that into your paging trigger.  

at least it makes sense in my tiny brain.

jkmonroe said:
the Dot has an audio output.  i wonder if there is a way to get a relay that would trigger when it detects voltage and turn that into your paging trigger. 

Detecting an audio signal and triggering a relay has come up before, and there is a solution.  Not cheap, but it seems like it would work with the Echo.

http://www.rdlnet.com/product.php?page=130

You could maybe just do a combo  (zwave or zigbee) automated 12VDC relay connected to the Amazon Echo and tell Alexa to turn on paging such that all of the audio goes to your old amp.

Well like using the Z-Wave MimoLite.

mimolite.jpg

Here my old Audiosource amp / AB8SS combo had a built in line level switch and I did purchase an audio auto line level automatic switch to test with the Russound stuff but never connected it.   I do have subzones in Russound zones which I today were using Russound AB switches and I was going to automate this and never did though.

Back