Another Ceiling Fan Question

nswint

Can I purchase an old school X10 Toggle Wall Switch to simply turn on/off a ceiling fan motor remotely without diming? Would it also cause the hum that I currently experience in my inductive switch for my celing fan?

Don't get a switch made for "just" incandescent lighting. You will need a "relay" type switch and make sure it can handle the wattage/current of the fan motor.

If you need help, list some specs of the fan (amps/watts/etc...).

nswint said:
old school X10 Toggle Wall Switch
hmm, to me the "old school" X10 switches are the push button ones. Anything with a toggle is much newer.

Does your switch dim? If so, I agree with BSR. If not, then we need more details, but it probably isn't a good idea.

It was installed when the home was built, but it's a similar model from 2 years ago
No Amp Specs

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US...84+4233&pos=n12

Hampton Bay
52 In. White Huntington III Ceiling Fan
Model B-552+4L14869/WH

Uses the Quick Connect system and installs in minutes. The reversible white/bleached oak blades slide and lock into place and have rubber cushions to minimize vibration noise. The 4 light alabaster glass light kit has spring clips that provide quick and easy glass installation and use four 60 watt bulbs, not included. Decorative canopy ring and coupling cover conceal any exposed screws and the slide-on mounting bracket provides quick, easy installation.

• Quick Install Application
• 4 Lt. Light Kit uses four included 60 Watt Medium Base Bulbs
• 5 Reversible White/Bleached Oak Blades
• Remote Control Adaptable
• Driven by a 153 x 18mm Motor for superior air movement
• Multi Capacitors and Double Sealed Bearings provide a quiet 3 Speed Reversible operation
• Lifetime Warranty
• Unit includes 54 In. Lead Wires for mounting on long downrod

WayneW said:
nswint said:
old school X10 Toggle Wall Switch
hmm, to me the "old school" X10 switches are the push button ones. Anything with a toggle is much newer.

Does your switch dim? If so, I agree with BSR. If not, then we need more details, but it probably isn't a good idea.
Well Push Button.. I realize toggle is up and down.

I don't want to use the inductive dimmer switch any more. I just simply want to turn it on and off

Maybe something like THIS or THIS perhaps. Both are "relay" type switches rated for 15 amps (overkill).

So if I understand correctly you want to remotely switch BOTH the light and fan at the same time right?

The ones linked above look like good choices, and both mention "no hum". I purchased a SWITCH from AutomatedOutlet, that CLEARLY stated that it could be used with ceiling fans:

Looking for an easy way to automate low-voltage lighting and motor loads such as ceiling fans? You've found it. This inductive dimmer switch gives you the power to control low-voltage lights, ceiling fans and other inductive devices locally at the switch or remotely from any X10 transmitter.

Even though it states that it can be used with ceiling fans, it didn't just hummm... It would SING! :lol: I wound up using the switch on the flourecent lights in my kitchen.

So, if you get a switch for a ceiling fan, I would certainly say to stay away from the one that I got , and try one of the 2 listed above.

JohnWPB:

Not an expert on ceiling fans, but the problem may be with your fan and not the switch. I remember buying one of those remote control devices for a ceiling fan, and it did the same thing, especially when I tried to change the speed.

Had something to do with that being an "Inductive Dimmer Switch" and not just an ON/OFF relay type switch. Supposedly the more expensive ceiling fans don't have this problem, but I don't know as this was a long time ago and I don't automate any of my ceiling fans now in this new house.

OK, couple of things.

1) Never use a WS467 (the cheapo push button style switch) to control a fan. That switch can only be used for incandescant loads. A motor is an inductive load. This also applies to the WS12A switch as well.

2) Using a dimmer that is rated for inductive loads generally isn't recommended either. The reason is that the fan motor needs a certain amount of start up power to properly start up and not damage the motor. Technically, if you use a dimmer switch rated to inductive loads, AND set the ramp rate to instantly go all the way up on start up, it could be used. Again, be careful when you do this and remember that the fan needs start up juice.

3) As Rupp said, the best switch to use is that Lightolier fan control switch if you want to control speed. It's more expensive but works very well.

4) If you don't need to control the fan speed, any of the relay switches will work great.

What are the physical dimensions of the XPDF. Also to change the subject some - what are the physical dimensions of the UPB version of the wire-in dimmer module ?

It's like the size of a power charger.. it fits inside the cap of the ceiling fan that goes against the ceiling. The model of fan that I purchased wasn't big enough to put both inside. As for the UPB version I'm not certain.

Steve said:
The UPB InLine module is 3.6"H x 1.4"W x 1.2â€D.
That's pretty much a single gang electrical box size - so I doubt I could fit it inside the motor cover at the base of the fan. Guess I'll have to climb up into the attic again :D

Back