Any home automation standouts at this year's CES?

NeverDie said:
Since there weren't many postings, how about we extend the time-frame to be January 1, 2014 to the present?  That would encompass the last two CES's plus everything in-between.  What would be the noteworthy home automation related announcements/developments in that larger time-frame?

I think this may have been a banner year, I've found all sorts of new HA things (... all alike ;-)). Lots of hubs. Wonder how many will survive?  We've already see Resolv disappear. But things like MQTT and Node-Red look like they might be interesting.

The large and growing number of arduino and raspberry pi competitors also seems noteworhy.  I don't have any numbers, but it's impressive how much bang per buck some of these boards are offering, and at fairly low cost too.  For instance, the Odroid-C1, which began shipping in December, 2014.  There's every reason to expect that trend to continue into 2015.

I love the Pi, works great for providing a nice little server that can add missing or additional network services. I also have one of the discontinued ODroids (there are new ones, which you've mentioned). 1.6GHz, quad core, 2G of RAM and SATA. RAM is the one thing about the Pi that I don't like, the other is its IO (the ODroid has less IO). The PI B+ solves some of the IO but not the RAM

I didn't know about the Mega clone but I've been playing with Chipkit boards (PIC32MX) & WIZnet W550 Ethernet boards which have worked out really well. I'm going to team up one of the Chipkit/WIZnet boards with the Si4707 (NOAA Radio w/SAME) with my home automation.

The ESP8266 boards looks like they could be interesting, there's an FCC certified version (ESP8266EX ~$24). With the SDK it is much more flexible that the standard AT Serial interface (though that can be useful too).

New and better ways to utilize the Kinect, or similar computer vision platforms and/or VR platforms, also seem noteworhy, though I don't have any particular datapoints to reference.

Isn't the Kinect EOL? Did MS replace it with a new model ? Cool device.

linuxha said:
New and better ways to utilize the Kinect, or similar computer vision platforms and/or VR platforms, also seem noteworhy, though I don't have any particular datapoints to reference.

Kinect is not EOL, there is a new and improved version, but both are still supported by Microsoft, and for home automation, CastleOS. 

Microsoft has also selected CastleOS to bring home automation to the Xbox One, which will of course full support Kinect for Xbox in addition to our current support for Kinect for Windows. 

BraveSirRobbin said:
I was there for a few hours today.

HomeSeer is unveiling a new Z-Net device.

There is a new security system from Sage by Hughes. (not to be confused with SageTV) that looks interesting.

There was a cool Z-Wave and/or BlueTooth enabled lock that interfaced to your existing deadbolt by danalock

WOW!!  That's pretty sweet, BSR...  And at $100 LESS than the AWFULLY similar August Smart Locks or Kwikset/Schlage options.  Wonder how long those batteries last comparatively to the options that don't have to propel/retract a deadbolt, especially up HEAH in the northeast where weatherstripping can make things pretty tight.

linuxha said:
I think this may have been a banner year, I've found all sorts of new HA things (... all alike ;-)). Lots of hubs. Wonder how many will survive?  We've already see Resolv disappear. But things like MQTT and Node-Red look like they might be interesting.

The ESP8266 boards looks like they could be interesting, there's an FCC certified version (ESP8266EX ~$24). With the SDK it is much more flexible that the standard AT Serial interface (though that can be useful too).
Thanks for bringing up the ESP8266.  For those who haven't heard, the ESP8266 is a microcontroller + GPIO pins + serial UART wifi for under $3, and it allegedly has impressive range.  Yup, that's noteworthy.  The AT command interface is OK, but I'm hoping there will be an simple IDE for it soon, if there isn't already.
Here's a range test video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BYdZ_24yg0
So, it appears to greatly outperform the $30+ Adafruit wi-fi breakout board I purchased about 4 or 5 months ago.  I wish now that I had gotten an ESP8266 instead.

Both PiDome and OpenHAB and mysensors.org seem to use MQTT.  Do you have a favorite implementation?

Hadn't heard of Node-Red before.  Thanks for posting about it.

linuxha said:
You may be thinking of the one that works with the xbox 360.  There's a newer one that's meant to work with the Xbox One.   Its higher resolution and, according to microsoft, it's sensitive enough that it can even read your pulse at a distance.  

ChrisCicc said:

Kinect is not EOL, there is a new and improved version, but both are still supported by Microsoft, and for home automation, CastleOS. 
Microsoft has also selected CastleOS to bring home automation to the Xbox One, which will of course full support Kinect for Xbox in addition to our current support for Kinect for Windows. 

NeverDie said:
You may be thinking of the one that works with the xbox 360.  There's a newer one that's meant to work with the Xbox One.   Its higher resolution and, according to microsoft, it's sensitive enough that it can even read your pulse at a distance.  
Thanks for the update, I'm glad it will still be around and better than before. :)

The "being able to read the heart beat" part scares me. My wife doesn't need a better lie detector test than she already has! ;-)

NeverDie said:
Thanks for bringing up the ESP8266.  For those who haven't heard, the ESP8266 is a microcontroller + GPIO pins + serial UART wifi for under $3, and it allegedly has impressive range.  Yup, that's noteworthy.  The AT command interface is OK, but I'm hoping there will be an simple IDE for it soon, if there isn't already.
Here's a range test video:  (see above)
So, it appears to greatly outperform the $30+ Adafruit wi-fi breakout board I purchased about 4 or 5 months ago.  I wish now that I had gotten an ESP8266 instead.
Wow, that is a surprise, I wasn't expecting those distances. I'm hoping for about 50' (inside to the backyard).
Both PiDome and OpenHAB and mysensors.org seem to use MQTT.  Do you have a favorite implementation?

Hadn't heard of Node-Red before.  Thanks for posting about it.
For MQTT on my Linux box I'm using Mosquitto. I still need to learn a lot more about it. I'd really like to know information about what is connected and the various topics.

I had ignored Node-Red because it reminded me of Logo or other GUI based teaching languages. I've played with it a little and found it easy to use, though I'm not big on Javascript. Node-Red reminds me of Unix piping or streams. Data goes in one end, gets manipulated and comes out the other to be sent elsewhere. Still need to learn a bit more about it but I think it could act as the Rules Engine or Domain Specific Language for HA (mainly if-then-else and string parsing). I was shocked to see how easy it was to take one MQTT topic, manipulate the data and send it another topic. The GUI could make it easy enough to do that my wife could do some things herself.

I saw lots of cameras that advertised facial recognition.  That could be really neat if the home automation tie in comes in down the road.  I'm thinking customized actions for each family member.  But, I'm sure that's going to be a few years yet.

Here is a CES 2015 video courtesy of the Z-Wave Alliance of the Securifi Almond +

This is a combination switch, router, firewall, access point, automation hub and built in touch screen interface.  It is unique and the only one of its kind at CES 2015.

Currently there is a cloud based application, Android, Apple and Wintel apps, scheduling and a built in web application.  It chit chats Zigbee, Z-Wave and Hue. (including the new Wireless Cree lamps).

In fact just looked at the cloud application and I can see all of my Almond devices.   I learned about the Almond + right here on Cocoontech.

Over this past year been playing with a couple of Almond + devices and recently a new device called the Almond 2015 and another new device called the Peanut.  (a new wondrous Zigbee device)

The Almond 2015 is like the mini me of the Almond + in an Almond sized case.  A bit smaller and with similar features as its big brother the Almond +. 

[youtube]http://youtu.be/qYQUWygiIbs[/youtube]
Almond+.jpgAlmond+2.jpgAlmond+3.jpg

​

Not at all vaporware here. 

It was more of a timing to release to the public thing; "is it soup yet?" 

There were also patents involved to the propietary methodologies utilized that probably did take up some time.

I received an Almond and Almond + from the get go of their endeavor.  There were design changes to the first Almond + relating to base hardware (CPU, memory et al stuff) and I recieved the second version of the Almond + right afterwards. 

The functionality evolved a bit to include more features utilizing the adds. 

The simplicity of utilize a small touchscreen to configure all of your automation is very unique.

That said I am not aware of any similiar product today that is now being sold.  (Its on Amazon today).

Based on the original Almond and Almond plus a new lower priced similiar functionality Almond 2015 is just around the corner today.

This is a combination switch, router, firewall, access point, automation hub and built in touch screen interface.  It is unique and the only one of its kind at CES 2015.

Maybe it is just me but this seems a weird combination:  touchscreen and router/switch.  As a router, it needs to be directly connected to your modem (or whatever)...which is usually located where your cable or telephone enters the house.  But with a touchscreen, it needs to be located in a central, accessible location.  For most people those locations don't overlap, right?  

These Securifi boxes would make more sense to me _without_ a touch screen--where your interface is expected to be via the web interface, etc.

Craig
BTW, I keep getting a captcha challenge when I try to use the 'full' editor.  I can't get past it.  Just started happening in the last few days?!?

The touchscreen offers a quickie 5 minute router/firewall/switch/access point/automation set up.  The selling point is the simplicity of not having to use the web interface, cloud interface or mobile phone.  That said that is the icing of the cake.

Yes; it would be a device configured at the end of couch table and the screen saver is a clock or the weather; it's very innocuous.

It is unique and the first of its kind.  The trending today is that combination wireless access point, switch, router, firewall.  Adding a touch interface and automation piece solves a multifaceted methodology of managing more than one device. 

Well too if the Securifi Almond + was only an automation hub then it would like everything else on the market today.  It isn't.

pete_c said:
The touchscreen offers a quickie 5 minute router/firewall/switch/access point/automation set up.  The selling point is the simplicity of not having to use the web interface, cloud interface or mobile phone.  That said that is the icing of the cake.

Yes; it would be a device configured at the end of couch table and the screen saver is a clock or the weather; it's very innocuous. ...
Like I said, maybe it is just me but I don't see a touch interface on a device like that as being an advantage.  For example, I'd be just as happy if my Ecobee Smart thermostat didn't have one.  The one it does have is far inferior to the _first_ iPhone: low resolution, clunky, jerky response to touch, etc.  A web interface (via computer, phone or tablet) would be hard-pressed to be worse!  (It's possible.  Bad designers are out there.)

At the price point of the Almond devices, I think they'd be better to save the money they're investing in their touch interface and make the web interface work well on the major platforms.  But the touch interface probably demos better and helps them make sales.

Craig

Agreed, it's not like this kind of configuring is anything you'd ever do on a regular basis.  That and the places where you'd put it will generally NOT have the wiring run there.

Thus even having a touchscreen on it AT ALL seems like wasted money.  Anyway, sorry for hijacking the thread.... back to CES commentary?

Back