anyone try exceeding 10' for a prox reader?

IVB

Wondering if anyone has tried pushing the bounds for a prox reader. I foolishly bought a prox reader already w/o RTFM as I have a location that would be perfect for it, but it's probably around 15' or so. It will be a royal PITA to run wire there, and moving the ElkKP isn't an option.

Excellent, that sounds promising enough to at least try. I'll post back here with the results.

Thanks for replying so quickly.

10'???

Was this an Elk distance or the manual of the prox reader

Most of the access systems we deal with have a wiegand prox maximum distance of 500 feet or so. I'm not sure if this is an Elk limitation but just remember to run the line away from electrical noise or high voltage sources.

IVB said:
The Elk manual says 10' max for the prox reader.
I am planning on using a couple of the external prox readers. I had no idea they had that kind of range. Does that mean if I have a card in my wallet and I get within 10 feet or so of the reader, the system will disarm?

What happens when you are exiting and setting the alarm, do you need to use a rule to ignore the prox reader?

Brian

No I think they are referring to a reader connected to a keypad, not the sensitivity of the reader itself (which will only be a few inches, 3 if I remember correctly).

Mike said:
No I think they are referring to a reader connected to a keypad, not the sensitivity of the reader itself (which will only be a few inches, 3 if I remember correctly).
That's what I thought..... :D

Hey, where's that light bulb emoticon?

Brian

15' would be really cool though. Back to the RFID threads.

Mike said:
Yeah...10 feet would be cool without an active repeater.

Maxi-Prox eat your heart out!!!

Back